What made you interested in debate?

Author: Sir.Lancelot

Total: 137
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
[RationalMadman] I didn't even say one thing about MPS and him attacking me had 0 to do with the topic. I will refrain from insulting back.
You made yourself a topic when you were bragging. Ad hominem is only a fallacy if the hominid is not the subject. You can't have an interpretation of the rules where people can go around saying "I am the god of facts and logic made manifest, kneel." and any denial is bannable.

Best.Korea
Debates: 272
Best.Korea
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You made yourself a topic when you were bragging
I mean, does a person who shares something about himself ask to be insulted?

Given the topic of this thread, person sharing something about himself is on topic. Others just insulting him for it... not so much. I understand when topic demands insults, such as rap battles topic, but this topic simply demanded no insults.

The problem with insults is that they belong in two general categories:

1. Insults that cause more insults than they remove.
2. Insults that dont cause more insults than they remove.

Great majority of insults are 1. Rarely any are 2. Simply, when someone uses insults, it usually moves him and others to make even more insults.

Insults usually cause more insults than they remove.

If a person can be insulted any time he posts something about himself, then that will just fuel more insults.

Plus, this to me seems like targeting. Everyone stopped talking about what made them interested in debate, and went on insulting RM instead.
RationalMadman
Debates: 566
RationalMadman
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I don't see where I bragged, I actually was sharing something pretty sensitive to me about why I struggled to find a compatible partner for a long while.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
@whiteflame
@oromagi
@Best.Korea
They abused me and tried to gaslight me that I asked for it, that is quite literally what's happened here, still waiting on the mods to clarify what the rule enforcement is here. 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Said the man who repeatedly stated that he moved on in life. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
[RationalMadman] I don't see where I bragged
I guess you never said you had high IQ or were more intelligent than average, but it was strongly implied.
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Mps1213
I'm a published author too and a former writer.

I understand you aren't interested in debate for the sake of debate itself, but I really think you have a lot to offer if you did, potential-wise.

You turned down some of the invitations to be a judge on debates in the past, so I was glad when you accepted to be a judge in my Tournament.

Since your goal is to convince people of drug legalization, an effective way to do this would be for you to recreate the debate (either making it heroin-specific or all psychoactive substances) with your choice in judges but then to switch sides, so you would be arguing for drug prohibition and I would be arguing for legalization.

I realize this seems unorthodox, but there is a purpose here.

• When people are personally chosen to be judges, they pay more attention to the debate.
  • Arguing against your beliefs will actually make you stronger at defending them because your experience will allow you to see Drug Prohibition arguments coming a mile away.
  • Having someone else defend your beliefs is actually an effective way of increasing engagement of the subject because it's exposure to the same idea but with a different perspective.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
@Sir.Lancelot @Mps1213

Debate doesn't change minds at any appreciable rate because the number of people committed to rationality as a core value is small and most of those have already come to the correct conclusions already.

I let go of that delusion a long time ago.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I guess you never said you had high IQ or were more intelligent than average, but it was strongly implied.
I do. However I am not some 160 IQ level person. I am not interested to specify more, the lowest I ever got on an official test was 125 (around there, not going to specify more). I got that while I was at my worst, being bullied, rather skinny as hell and tired all the time and barely paying attention to the test as a young(er) guy.

I am pretty sure I sit in the 130s somewhere when I am healthy and such. I haven't tested in an official capacity to prove nor do I care.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Their cognitive characteristics:

1. Learn very rapidly and show high curiosity and depth of understanding
  2. Think deeply about patterns and the inner workings of things in life
  3. Have long concentration ability for things that interest them
  4. Offer creative or unusual solutions
  5. Think abstractly
  6. Wide general knowledge in at least a few domains
  7. Easy to take multiple perspectives
  8. High problem-solving, analytical, and reasoning capacity
  9. Have personal reasons and motivations for doing things that may seem odd to others
  10. Highly perceptive, intuitive, and observant
  11. Quick to spot errors or problems
Their social characteristics:
  1. Question authority and the status quo
  2. Sees problems in society when others don’t
  3. Find it hard to relate to everyone, prone to loneliness
  4. Unusual humor and peculiar manner of speaking
  5. Range from silent to outspoken personality
  6. Intrinsically motivated to help, sometimes without the goal of helping (personal curiosity, thrill, etc.)
Their mental health characteristics:
  1. Prone to boredom
  2. Have weak emotional regulation with possible rage problems
  3. Find it hard to belong
  4. Unhealthy perfectionist tendencies
  5. Prone to depression, anxiety, and suicide
  6. Highly sensitive or highly insensitive

I have many of these traits, pretty irrefutably.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I think people assume being very intelligent is a blessing but it comes with many problems attached, it's far easier to be 'normal intelligence' if we talk about a straightforward life with minimal complications being the way one is.

I am unsure why many got bitter here or felt a need to 'knock me down a peg' but it does violate the new rule enforcement very objectively and has at this point completely derailed the thread.
Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@RationalMadman
Mate,  it is a combination of accent, and emphasis.  Reading is very different then hearing.   Do you agree that the delivery is just as important as the content, and when you read the content, you lose the delivery.

Re-read your rap with a latin accent, an irish accent, a north London accent, a Welsh accent, etc..  

So the more complex your pattern, the more the accent and emphasis plays a role in the delivery.  I am sorry my friend, however this  is not a me problem.  
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
Learn very rapidly and show high curiosity and depth of understanding
Your curiosity and depth of understanding have not made an impression on me.

Question authority and the status quo
Nor have I seen anything but a complete comfort with the status quo from you.

Have weak emotional regulation with possible rage problems
Here I agree.

Before you start to respond to the above though, keep in mind that list is what I would consider classic psychobabble pseudoscience. It has too many points that are too broad. If anything it appears to be a balm for people on the fringes of society to comfort themselves with. "Yes, I have all these problems and no friends; but at least I'm smart."

I speak as someone who experiences temptations like that. I may think I'm smarter than most people, I definitely think I'm more rational that almost everyone; but what is the point in telling people that?

What's your thoughts when you just read that. Did you say "well I guess ADOL is more rational than most people, good on him". I doubt it.

I suspect a Dunning Kruger effect here. It may take a special kind of stupid to think telling others you're intelligent is going to turn out well.

Then again this is a debate website with barely any traffic because nobody debates anymore. I'm anonymous, you're more or less anonymous. What is there to lose?... What is there to gain?

The mentally unwell are over represented on this site in my opinion, and perhaps I've already invested far too much time here. I've had few good debates and even those about rather trivial or ephemeral matters. Posting my reasons for seeking debate has reminded me of what I've not had here, there are much more friendly places to lounge about for some banter and social interaction.

Mps1213
Debates: 11
Mps1213
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Would you be interested in having a debate with me about drug legalization? you can look at my other debates and see how I handle them. Only one I had an annoyed style with was the one against Mall because he’s a fool. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Mps1213
A debate? Yes. The 'formal' debate with judges and a big "winner" determined by votes? No.

Well, I just thought about it and you're for legalization right? So am I (due to base moral principle not any particulars of a drug). If I was on the wrong moral side it wouldn't be so bad to "lose". Of course now that I admitted I would want to "lose" some troublemakers are would vote for my arguments. Or (forgive me, no offense) your arguments might be so terrible that I "win" even though I know my arguments are invalid in the total context.

Or the judges would think your arguments were weak when they weren't....

You see what kind of non-sense inappropriate democracy brings? Turns every debate into a political strategy session (and those who don't realize that are naive).
Mps1213
Mps1213
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Yes I’m for legalization. I’ve studied pharmacology and neurochemistry for years at this point. I do make a “moral” argument if you can call it that. I also base a lot of my argument around pharmacology and busting drug myths. So if you’d like to have that sort of discussion we can. I have another form called “drug education with pharmacology” or something like that. We can have the conversation there. 
Mps1213
Mps1213
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Also i think you’re overplaying the idea of a debate on this site. While some debates can be political in nature, it’s hard to vote against the evidence and logic I have which is why I’ve never lost a debate on the topic that I actually participated in besides one. The other loss I have me and the opponent agreed and he thought he was pro so I just forfeited every round because it was a waste of time. The debate I did lose I miss typed the title and my opponent took advantage of it. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Mps1213
Yes I’m for legalization. I’ve studied pharmacology and neurochemistry for years at this point. I do make a “moral” argument if you can call it that. I also base a lot of my argument around pharmacology and busting drug myths.
One of the things I've been known to complain about is the lack of basic philosophical education in the vast majority of curricula.

Assuming you're telling the truth about studying pharmacology and neurochemistry for years you must certainly know far more than me and are probably at the point where I would be lucky to know half the terms you use.

... However, the implication that you can make an argument for or against legalization without a moral theory is the philosophical equivalent of asking how to boil water.

Say you bust every drug myth. What does that have to do with anything?

Assume we're talking about marijuana and you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that marijuana never made a person more violent and never will. Does that mean it should be legal? There is a huge amount of assumptions and hidden premises that go into that answer. It's not intractable but it's no less critical a path to determining the proper legality than establishing the objective truth about the drug.

The first and most critical question is not "what does the drug do" but "what gives the government a right to attack people for possessing/using a drug?" which is a subset of "what gives anybody a right to not be attacked by anybody else for any reason?"

It's one thing to gloss over things that are long agreed upon, but it has been my experience that people don't gloss over morality because they agree on it; they aren't even aware of their own moral assumptions and follow a contradictory maze of principles and prejudices.

What if marijuana makes you more content with your life on the edge of society doing small scale farming? Obviously you're not hurting anyone right so that means you should be allowed to do it?

What may be obvious to you or me is not obvious to everyone. There are plenty of things that are harmless (or rather, cannot be proven to be harmful by any strong argument) that are considered immoral. (Oh and nobody believes in a separation of legality and morality, that's just a bizarre myth that got started because of atheist talking points I think).

Maybe somebody believes that this marijuana user is wasting his or her potential and wouldn't be if they didn't use marijuana. Here you might insert your objective facts about marijuana being not that addictive and really doesn't impair your thinking too much (or something). They'll just come back with "but it makes you happy or else they wouldn't do it, fake satisfaction destroys motivation. Unmotivated people are a detriment to the net utility of society and thus it should be illegal on those grounds."

Do you see how easily the goalposts are moved from what you assumed about the moral theory at work vs what this person is implying? Now anything pleasant is a possible threat to society? How can that be a princible?

but as I said people don't care about contradicting principles they don't know they have. They'll throw one at you one minute and forget about it the next.

Democracy is another locus of presumed moral authority. Suppose that it's not anything that is pleasant that society must stop, but only those pleasant things that the majority by whim decide are a step too far.

Well ad populum is a known logical fallacy but that doesn't matter to someone using this argument because MUH DEMOCRACY!

At this point you're dealing with someone with a completely unbounded moral theory. It has no principles and can have no principles because whim is the opposite of principle no matter whose whim it is. Against such a thing all the objective facts about drugs are useless. An unbounded moral theory could justify dropping a nuclear bomb because candy causes cavities.

I've done some sloppy work categorizing all the common variants of unbounded moral theories and one of the most fundamental is moral subjectivism. Everyone who gives the lazy and useless answer of "well I don't believe in an objective morality but..." <- there is no "but", the guy just denied the existence of anything resembling truth. Subjective morality is the epitome of whim.

"Marijuana should be illegal because [I believe] it's wrong." (they often leave off the "I believe" even though it's intrinsic to subjectivity)
"Why"
"I can't explain it to you, it's a subjective truth"
"Then why should I care?"

[At this point they insert some other common unprincipled nonsense]

"There are more people who think like me than who think like you" OR "If you don't already know why it's wrong there is just no hope for you, leave and never return!" OR "God told me, trust me bro" OR "Here are some really smart people who agree with me (dumps of bunch of links because there is always somebody somewhere who agrees with something)"

Reasoning is as strong as the weakest link in the chain. Good (objective) science can never bridge the is-ought chasm alone. It needs good (objective) ethics (and matching epistemology & metaphysics).

So if you’d like to have that sort of discussion we can. I have another form called “drug education with pharmacology” or something like that. We can have the conversation there. 
I'll check it out (if I don't forget). My experience with drugs is quite pedestrian and I wouldn't mind knowing more. My one observation is of a family member on some kind of antidepressant. He blamed a lot of near sociopathic behavior on "coming off" that drug. I also have anecdotally noticed these things show up a lot in the history of school shooters.

it’s hard to vote against the evidence and logic I have
I wish that were true, but what you call controversial isn't all that controversial in the grand scheme and quite a lot of people are open to the legalization of some drugs.

It's like you're arguing for homosexual liberation five years after the stonewall incident, or for civil rights after MLK was assassinated. It's easy to get a false sense of the rationality of your fellow man when you're swimming with the rising tide.

Bill-0
Debates: 4
Bill-0
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
A popular streamer called " Destiny "
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Bill-0
He's been on Tim Pool's show. It's a good sign when you're not afraid of people in other political tribes.
Bill-0
Bill-0
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Yeah, I agree with destiny on almost every topic because he backs up all his points with data, statistics and studies. He has been on an insane amount of shows and disagrees with liberals and conservatives super regularly. 

Refreshing to see someone who isnt strictly held to their party line on every topic
Mps1213
Mps1213
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Ok, so I don’t really disagree with what you said. But literally every argument you said that people made are extremely easy to refute with evidence and data. I do have a little big of philosophy sprinkled into the drug argument. As I have thought about this a lot, spent years talking to people about it. It’s not just a random idea I came up with, it took me years of deep thinking as to how to formulate this opinion efficiently and effectively.

As i said, if you’d like to discuss why heroin should be legal for example, or PCP, or fentanyl. I have thought about it, I do have some level of philosophical thought applied in the argument, but I also have a lot of data. And for most people (especially those who aren’t good thinkers) data and evidence  is a better tool for destroying their poorly thought out beliefs and claims. It’s a better tool than philosophy for that, although philosophy does have its place in those types of conversations, and it does have a place in my general argument. 

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Mps1213
But literally every argument you said that people made are extremely easy to refute with evidence and data.
Really?

What data could refute this:

/Any law with majority support should be passed and stand
/A fentanyl ban has majoirty support
//Therefore, fentanyl should be banned

Mps1213
Mps1213
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The reason debunking myths is important should be pretty obvious. Even to someone who attempts to think philosophically. Saying false things is not something that should formulate opinions. But it does, especially on the topic of drugs, proving that these statements are myths is important for educating people on how to use drugs safely, and for explaining that people shouldn’t go to prison for using drugs. it’s also important for making a sound argument as to why they should be sold legally in a regulated climate. 

For example the myth that most people who use drugs like meth, heroin, cocaine, or crack cocaine are addicts, is an important one to break for this discussion. Because evidence shows that the vast majority of people who use these drugs are not addicts, yet those people face the same risks of imprisonment and death due to contamination, as the people who do steal, abandon their children, and abuse people for their addiction. If we don’t start by busting those myths and instead try to explain to people why their philosophy is bad, the argument will get nowhere because they can still cling onto these myths as the basis for their argument. In a scientific conversation the facts need to be established first, before we start using philosophy. If we did it the other way we wouldn’t know anything about anything. We would just have wild theories as to what stars are made of, or wild theories as to the shape of the earth. Facts need ti be established, then the philosophical conversation can be had. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Mps1213
The reason debunking myths is important should be pretty obvious.
It is to me.

If we don’t start by busting those myths and instead try to explain to people why their philosophy is bad
You can't disprove philosophical theories with non-philosophical arguments. A philosophy isn't wrong because someone following it sometimes has bad information about the world. Nor is a philosophy right just because someone following it is well acquainted with a particular set of facts.

In a scientific conversation the facts need to be established first, before we start using philosophy.
That's like saying when constructing a roof the rafters must be established first, before we can pour a foundation.

A scientific conversation doesn't need to involve philosophy because the definition of "science" already presumes particular philosophical answers. Science presumes reason is the means of attaining knowledge and discerning truth from falsehood (rationality in epistemology). Science presumes there is one reality that we all observe (metaphysics existence exists), rejecting the matrix hypothesis (for example).

Science does not presume an ethics, and that is something many people do not realize. They seem to think for some reason that if they just collect a few more datasets or verify a few more calculations then they'll know right from wrong and can compute proper policy. While atheists decry the dogma of religion and hold up science as the alternative there is a gap because there is no ethics to speak of. They merely say "I don't need god to be a good person".

Yes but they need some way to know what a good person is, and no one teaches children and students this (should be) obvious truth.

If we did it the other way we wouldn’t know anything about anything. We would just have wild theories as to what stars are made of, or wild theories as to the shape of the earth.
When we know the shape of the Earth and the composition of the stars all we will have is wild theories about what is justified and what isn't, what leads to evil and suffering and what doesn't. When we killed sixty million people in the 20th century we knew the shape of the Earth and the composition of the stars, it didn't save us.

No, ethics is not concerned with the shape of the Earth or the composition of stars.

The tool is the same: reason. The problem is different.

The evidence needed for philosophy is thin as a wafer, only mathematics requires less evidence. It is evidence that is available to everyone in every community. That is why the arguments of people like Aristotle still hold validity for philosophy and little to none in terms of explaining natural phenomenon. He didn't have the data to infer atoms or biology. He did have the data to infer good and evil.
Mps1213
Mps1213
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
“When we killed sixty million people in the 20th century we knew the shape of the Earth and the composition of the stars, it didn't save us.”

Wanna talk about moving the goalposts, lol. I never said science had any sort of impact on that type of stuff. What I said was that if we don’t have science we don’t know anything about scientific topics, like the stars and astronomy or pharmacology, or physics, or biology, or chemistry, or biochemistry. If all we did was think about it, and not collect data then we would have all sorts of wild theories about it. Full stop. No need to randomly bring up killing people when we are talking about what science does. 

And no saying science comes first over philosophy does not mean we need to have the rafters built before the foundation. That makes no sense. If we did not collect data and just attempted to be philosophical about everything we learn absolutely nothing. What can your philosophy tell you about the psychopharmacology and the effects of the drug MPTP? It can’t tell you anything. But when you learn what that drug does to the humans consciousness, you can then become philosophical about what consciousness means when you have a way of radically changing it using it a chemical. Instead if you just tried to philosophize about the effects of the drug, you wouldn’t even know what parts of the brain the drug is effecting to cause the effects it does. So the philosophizing you’d be doing would be in complete ignorance to what is even happening. 

“Any law with majority support should be passed and stand
/A fentanyl ban has majoirty support
//Therefore, fentanyl should be banned”

You asked what data can prove this incorrect. Well you can see that data shows when laws are passed based off of collective ignorance usually goes poorly and gets people killed. You can see that data also shows that the average person knows nothing about fentanyl. You can also show that keeping fentanyl and other drugs illegal kills more people than the drugs themselves would if they were legal.

So while there may not be data or evidence to say the idea is wrong that the majority should make the decision, you can show that the majority should not make the decision if the majority is wrong. Just like when the majority tried to claim the earth was flat and threw people in prison for arguing it. 

Slainte
Debates: 25
Slainte
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I like judging debates, because it gives me the quickest way to look at opposing sides.    While my opinion is useless to anyone else, the art of judging is important to be able to really address personal bias.  I also like reading other RFD's.  If a good judge takes the time to write a proper RFD, you can learn alot of perspective on the topic, and the people.  .
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
@Mps1213
I agree with SL, as I did the exact thing with my abortion debate. Though I intended to be on the pro-choice side. I mistakenly chose the opposite and has to argue the pro-life side. Playing Devil’s Advocate was tough, but a rewarding experience. I highly recommend it. 
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@RationalMadman
--> 
@Barney
@whiteflame
@oromagi
@Best.Korea
They abused me and tried to gaslight me that I asked for it, that is quite literally what's happened here, still waiting on the mods to clarify what the rule enforcement is here. 

What your problem here is you are failing to put your past behavior that everyone here is well aware of into context with the feedback that you’ve been getting in this forum thread. 

I too could have called you out for your very first sentence declaring yourself “born to debate,” which is patently false.

Take your challenge to me for example. I accepted. I answered your 3 topic request. What did you do? You made a bunch of excuses and eventually tucked tail and fled the site declaring you’re moving on (born to run from debate) -  yet here you are. 

I didn’t read your OC in its entirety, but I can see and understand where others replying to you are coming from. 

If you continue to whine to the powers that be, you’re just setting yourself off for further failure and continued criticism from those questioning you and your past and present motivations here. 
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Sir.Lancelot @Mps1213

Debate doesn't change minds at any appreciable rate because the number of people committed to rationality as a core value is small and most of those have already come to the correct conclusions already.

I let go of that delusion a long time ago.

Um, debate is t about changing anyone’s mind. It’s about who can provide the better, more well-grounded argument with more convincing fact based evidence to support the assertion. If minds are changed in the process, that’s just a bonus.