Total: 55
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
@Critical-Tim
I don't think I've seen a theory for a truly decentralized legal system, and in my analysis such a thing is inherently flawed because there is only one right answer and when there is only one right answer leaving room for diversity is leaving room for error.

However I am open to the argument that there is no way to centralize law without so much corruption that it is worse than the average justice of decentralized law.

I don't wish to "pile on" you Athias, answer or delay answering as you see fit please.

[Critical-Tim] How would anarchy deal with the problems of violence, crime, and injustice, without any law enforcement or judicial system?
[Athias] Dispute Resolution Organizations can handle tort and mediate disputes among individual parties; wrongful acts can also make one subject to Outlawry.
[Critical-Tim] Who would decide the law, would it be majority vote or something else?
[Athias] The free market.
A considerable part of the justice system is geared not towards resolving disputes but punishing crime so that criminality is not a tempting path. As a consequence, and sometimes as a conscious goal is the motivation to defend the helpless.

Already we see that filing a civil suit is more a weapon for the rich and generally an enormous waste of resources. While it can be argued that this is a result of incorrect incentives in the system, it's still true that there are cases (many) where the victim cannot bring suit. Let me give you the most obvious (to my mind):

A man who has outlived his family and no friends at the moment is murdered. He's dead, and there is no one to complain; but murder has been done and murder must be punished.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I don't think I've seen a theory for a truly decentralized legal system,
Anarcho-Capitalism.

and in my analysis such a thing is inherently flawed because there is only one right answer and when there is only one right answer leaving room for diversity is leaving room for error.
Please elaborate.

I don't wish to "pile on" you Athias, answer or delay answering as you see fit please.
It's fine.

A considerable part of the justice system is geared not towards resolving disputes but punishing crime so that criminality is not a tempting path.
A considerable part of the justice system is jailing individuals for harmless "crimes," and in effect, creating de-facto slaves, whose labor is outsourced to crony companies.

As a consequence, and sometimes as a conscious goal is the motivation to defend the helpless.
Detention serving as a deterrent is a mere platitude especially considering that mass incarceration has greatly increased over the years, not decreased.

A man who has outlived his family and no friends at the moment is murdered. He's dead, and there is no one to complain; but murder has been done and murder must be punished.
Isn't this like "if a tree falls in a forest..."? Murder has to be investigated; murder has to be proven. But let's for the sake of argument consider that somehow this man's murder is properly investigated and sufficiently proven, then the murderer can be exiled or outlawed.

Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
If private contractors were the ones upholding the law that means they are driven by money, do you not see this as becoming an issue?
No. Because consumers in a free market can opt out if dissatisfied.
Who can opt out, the person who is guilty? I don't see how anyone could opt out of the law.

Who would be responsible for funding these private armies?
The private armies would naturally sell their services.
I recognize the private armies would be selling their services if they were being funded, but my question is who is responsible for funding the armies that guard the entire society. Would the funding be a collective effort, and would the effort be equal or based on a person's income?

Who would decide the law, would it be majority vote or something else?
The free market.
I don't understand what you mean by the free market. Is that the majority?

Without any uniformity of a government standardization people would be free to create their own religions and beliefs.
Okay...
Having said that, the moral structure for every individual would be at least slightly different, so who would be the judge of which moral structure is standard and will be used in prosecution?
Each party involved can agree to terms which they believe will resolve their dispute. Private mediation, for example, is quite effective and successful.
Perhaps private mediation is effective, but what would happen in the event that neither party is willing to accept an arrangement from the other? What would be the overarching structure that both would be required to follow in the event neither are willing to accept an arrangement and who would determine this? What happens if an individual has been tricked into making an agreement that was obviously unfair, but they did agree to it? What happens if an individual has entered into life-long indentured servitude over the inability to pay back $100? Would there be anyone to oversee which agreements or transactions are considered fair, or if there cannot be a resolution found between the parties?

I don't see how anarchy could cultivate uniformity.
What does uniformity have to do with one's capacity to cooperate?
Uniformity is how well you are unified, if you're not cooperating in uniformity then I don't see how a society would be well structured. Would these private militaries be educated in the art of war and what is Considered ethical in the global warfare community? If these private contractors were to overstep their boundaries, then other nations would hold us responsible.

The more freedom a society has the freer people are to be
Is this not ideal?
Different people have different goals in life. My goal would be a balance between freedom and safety, which means I cannot have total freedom. It is also important to consider the society’s participation and purpose. Many people ignore that societies that are united have a sense of purpose from their dedication to the country, something that will last beyond their lives. For example, the Nazis were so passionate about their purpose that they gave their lives for it. In a society where the individual is more important than the nation, the problem is that the individual has nothing to live for after death. I believe this is the largest reason why America has so many activist groups and gangs. They are trying to find meaning through social groups instead of nationalism. In the end, it is a trade-off: more freedom means less meaning, and more meaning means less freedom. You buy one by selling the other.

and therefore the less likely they will be unified and seemingly uniformed.
Is this not a non sequitur?
My last comment didn't have much of a basis for my claim, so I tried to do better by explaining it in the last paragraph. Determination and uniformity are related to a person's meaning and purpose for their work, which is directly associated with their beliefs and pride in their nationalism.

As a result, societies that are driven by strict governments that are tyrannical or oppressive are very uniform and powerful such as the Nazis. Whereas people not driven by uniformity are not very uniform, and therefore do not work in uniformity.
Your criticism of anarcho-capitalism is that it's not Nazism?
My point is that governments that are uniformed and meaning driven are more powerful than societies that lack uniformity and meaning. There is a middle ground between the concepts of freedom and meaning. I am not supporting Nazism, but I am also not supporting anarchism. I believe that both have important aspects of a society that are important, but the ideal society is between them, which is the balance between freedom and power.

Though the question still remains, who would create the standard of education and would everyone within the society be required to accept certification?
The free market; the best standards will emerge in a competitive market.
I still don't understand what you mean by free market.

There definitely can be coordination between individuals in an anarchist society, but as I said before, the more free individuals of a society are the more variance there is between members of that society and the more variance between members of the society the less they seem like members of the society to others. Therefore, societies that are freer have a greater variance between the differences of members and have less uniformity. As a result, freer societies are less uniform and less organized because of the lack of cooperation and expectation of trust of individuals of a more respectable group which would be people and others who you agree with rather than a great variance of other people who do not truly unify with your own.
Again, is this not a non sequitur?
It only is non-sequitur if you just read the bold letters. By summarizing information into key points, one often loses resolution and clarity, along with accuracy of the original text.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
A man who has outlived his family and no friends at the moment is murdered. He's dead, and there is no one to complain; but murder has been done and murder must be punished.
Isn't this like "if a tree falls in a forest..."? Murder has to be investigated; murder has to be proven. But let's for the sake of argument consider that somehow this man's murder is properly investigated and sufficiently proven, then the murderer can be exiled or outlawed.
Would there be a jury, and would the jury be paid by the community? Who would determine the penalty for the crime?
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
Who can opt out, the person who is guilty? I don't see how anyone could opt out of the law.
Yes, anyone--even the guilty. But if the guilty opts out of a dispute, he or she must accept that their dispute is ongoing, and thereby risk the consequence of an on-going dispute.

I recognize the private armies would be selling their services if they were being funded, but my question is who is responsible for funding the armies that guard the entire society.
The armies themselves like any private organization is responsible for its own funding. If they require outside funding, they can seek investors or request donation.

Would the funding be a collective effort, and would the effort be equal or based on a person's income?
All terms of agreement to be hashed out by the involved parties.

Not necessarily. Consumer-based preferences will dictate "law" and one can opt-in or opt-out.

Perhaps private mediation is effective, but what would happen in the event that neither party is willing to accept an arrangement from the other?
Then they have an ongoing dispute.

What would be the overarching structure that both would be required to follow in the event neither are willing to accept an arrangement and who would determine this?
You are making statements which imply a government. The whole point is for the individuals to come to a resolution themselves. They accept the resolution because it's a subsequent product of the terms to which they've agreed. If they, or one party by some chance disagrees with the resolution, the parties involved can seek a different mediator, resolve their dispute by other means, or continue their dispute.

What happens if an individual has been tricked into making an agreement that was obviously unfair, but they did agree to it?
Then he or she has been tricked. This creates a different dispute for which the offended party can seek private mediation.

What happens if an individual has entered into life-long indentured servitude over the inability to pay back $100?
Slave contracts will not upheld in anarchy.

Would there be anyone to oversee which agreements or transactions are considered fair, or if there cannot be a resolution found between the parties?
If there is a need for such oversight then yes.

Uniformity is how well you are unified, if you're not cooperating in uniformity then I don't see how a society would be well structured.
That is not an argument; that is your impression. Two individuals are capable of cooperating--even if they don't completely share a sense of "uniformity."  They need only be unified in their sense of individuality, and the sovereignty it affords.

Would these private militaries be educated in the art of war and what is Considered ethical in the global warfare community?
They will do whatever they can to sell their services successfully. If that necessitates being educated in art of war--as I presume it would--then that is what they'll do. If they're terrible at their jobs, then they obviously will find little success in selling their services, and lose favor to their competitors.

In a society where the individual is more important than the nation, the problem is that the individual has nothing to live for after death.
Please explain.

In the end, it is a trade-off: more freedom means less meaning, and more meaning means less freedom. You buy one by selling the other.
Meaning is subject to individual evaluation.

My point is that governments that are uniformed and meaning driven are more powerful than societies that lack uniformity and meaning.
You haven't substantiated that anaracho-capitalist society  lacks "meaning." And I've stated before the only unity "required" is in the concept that they're all sovereign individuals.

There is a middle ground between the concepts of freedom and meaning. I am not supporting Nazism, but I am also not supporting anarchism. I believe that both have important aspects of a society that are important, but the ideal society is between them, which is the balance between freedom and power.
On the "middle ground" is where you find inconsistency. You'll discover once you've extended these "balanced" premises to their logical conclusions, they're absurd. If one maintains that individual autonomy is the highest good, then anarchy is the logical extension politically. There's no "balance." You either subscribe to individual autonomy or you subscribe to individual behavior being subject to someone else's arbitration.

Education as well as certification can be sold. Private organizations supplying these goods can compete in an an open market.

It only is non-sequitur if you just read the bold letters. By summarizing information into key points, one often loses resolution and clarity, along with accuracy of the original text.
I emboldened those parts to demonstrate contradiction. You state they (members of an anarcho-capitalist society) can coordinate and then conclude that they lack organization because you allege they can't cooperate. So, let me ask you this: is voluntary organization impossible?

Would there be a jury,
If the involved parties want one, then there could be.

and would the jury be paid by the community?
Not necessarily. Naturally, this would be paid for by the involved parties, or the parties in dispute. If however a group of individuals seek to streamline costs and pool their resources, they would be more than welcome to do so.

Who would determine the penalty for the crime?
The free market.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias

and in my analysis such a thing is inherently flawed because there is only one right answer and when there is only one right answer leaving room for diversity is leaving room for error.
Please elaborate.
I will by extreme example: All Olmec derived civilizations took for granted the utility, sanctity, and permissibility of human sacrifice.

Regardless of how social morality is enforced, there is to my knowledge at least one objective theory of ethics which determines that anyone and any culture who engages in human sacrifice have chosen the path of savagery and forfeited any claim to enjoy liberty by right.

Therefore any system that tolerates a tribe of human sacrificing cannibals in or near itself as a inherent consequence of its constitution has failed to protect the objective right to liberty.

If an indispensable goal of the system you describe is not to protect liberty, then it is insufficient.

You can have decentralized enforcement of a single rulebook, there is no problem there; the problem is with a decentralized rulebook insofar as its a diverse rulebook.

A considerable part of the justice system is geared not towards resolving disputes but punishing crime so that criminality is not a tempting path.
A considerable part of the justice system is jailing individuals for harmless "crimes,"
That is true, but it does not negate what I said. That is a problem with the law, not with enforcement. Victimless crimes should not exist.

Note that when I say "victimless crimes should not exist" I'm rejecting all rulebooks with victimless crimes in it, rejecting them not only for myself and my community but all communities.

and in effect, creating de-facto slaves, whose labor is outsourced to crony companies.
The public is the slave in this case (and in most cases), almost no prisons make a profit by labor; many have no significant work programs.

Investigated and proven by who?

I'd support people whose job it is to investigate and prove all crimes regardless of complaints. A standing complaint. This isn't a novel idea, that's why they say things like "The State of Pennsylvania vs [Suspect]"

When you have a large group of investigators with broad popular support the rulebook that determines what is a crime and what isn't is the law and that group are police.

At what point do you call it a centralized legal system?
Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty

I will by extreme example: All Olmec derived civilizations took for granted the utility, sanctity, and permissibility of human sacrifice.

Regardless of how social morality is enforced, there is to my knowledge at least one objective theory of ethics which determines that anyone and any culture who engages in human sacrifice have chosen the path of savagery and forfeited any claim to enjoy liberty by right.

Therefore any system that tolerates a tribe of human sacrificing cannibals in or near itself as a inherent consequence of its constitution has failed to protect the objective right to liberty.

If an indispensable goal of the system you describe is not to protect liberty, then it is insufficient.
First the Olmec were ruled by monarchs; second, there's no moral condemnation in defending oneself even if it results in death. So if savage Olmec cannibals sought to use you in their sacrifices, by all means effectively end the threat. Why would this contradict the concept of liberty? Is it not enhanced?

You can have decentralized enforcement of a single rulebook, there is no problem there; the problem is with a decentralized rulebook insofar as its a diverse rulebook.
You haven't identified the problem. Each individual has their own rules of engagement; if individuals seek to cooperate with each other, then they can create terms that will service a mutual satisfaction. If they are not satisfied with the arrangement, they can choose to not opt in, or opt out. Case in point: Dating. Everyone has their own preferences and behave accordingly. There isn't a single, centralized rulebook. Does one risk STI contradiction, pregnancy, date rape, and broken hearts? Sure. It's vastly paramount to retain one's autonomy and discretion than to entertain the pretense one can avoid or prevent that which isn't (or should not be) under one's control.

Note that when I say "victimless crimes should not exist" I'm rejecting all rulebooks with victimless crimes in it, rejecting them not only for myself and my community but all communities.
And note that when I state individual autonomy is paramount, resulting in its logical extension -- anarcho-capitalism,  I'm stating this not just for myself, family, and community, but for all individuals, families, and communities.

The public is the slave in this case (and in most cases), almost no prisons make a profit by labor; many have no significant work programs.
No, a sizeable majority of prisoners are de-facto slaves. I do not deny the unnecessary funding of prisons--a moot point with the public since they cannot choose where their funds go or how they're allocated--but some of the costs of prison maintenance is mitigated by prison labor. And I didn't suggest that they made profit from prison labor; only that they outsourced it to crony companies.

Investigated and proven by who?
Private organizations whose services are retained by those who discovered the murder and maintain that "murder should be punished."

I'd support people whose job it is to investigate and prove all crimes regardless of complaints.
And if there's a substantial market for this, then I'm sure it will have little trouble funding its operations.

When you have a large group of investigators with broad popular support the rulebook that determines what is a crime and what isn't is the law and that group are police.
Or private security and investigation.

When operations are not subject to consumer satisfaction--consumers who can opt out--but subject to the determination of a hegemonic organization that provides no real good or service.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
First the Olmec were ruled by monarchs
That is irrelevant, this belief was nearly universal it was not imposed from above or else it would not survive changes in regime and we're talking about thousands of tribes and dozens of distinct child cultures.

second, there's no moral condemnation in defending oneself even if it results in death. So if savage Olmec cannibals sought to use you in their sacrifices, by all means effectively end the threat. Why would this contradict the concept of liberty? Is it not enhanced?
Suppose I did, I get my hands on Spanish steel armor and I take out a hundred of them before making my escape. In anger they burn down my home and all my economic assets.

Then both their king and myself seek the services of a mediation group (two different companys). They claim I murdered a bunch of people who were just trying to get dinner and practice their religion. I claim I was driven from my home and demand justice and compensation.

Objectively I am in the right, but the system doesn't protect my liberty simply by not being inherently biased against my self-defense. It must not only be overwhelmingly biased in favor of my self-defense but also provide for justice even if I failed to defend myself (which is so often the case as aggressors are not idiots and often attack only when victory is near certain).

Please describe how anarcho-capitalist legal system fulfills those two requirements.

You haven't identified the problem. Each individual has their own rules of engagement; if individuals seek to cooperate with each other, then they can create terms that will service a mutual satisfaction. If they are not satisfied with the arrangement, they can choose to not opt in, or opt out. Case in point: Dating. Everyone has their own preferences and behave accordingly. There isn't a single, centralized rulebook. Does one risk STI contradiction, pregnancy, date rape, and broken hearts? Sure. It's vastly paramount to retain one's autonomy and discretion than to entertain the pretense one can avoid or prevent that which isn't (or should not be) under one's control.
Let's stick with murder. As the fundamental problem it is (and always has been) solving it would set a template for solving all other violations of liberty.

My rule of engagement is that anyone who would resort to murder dies. 95% of people who've seen a murder or been threatened by murderers will agree with me. We will terminate or enslave anyone who dares to opt out of our zero-murder policy. Problem solved? (Sounds a bit like the dawn of civilization to me)

When operations are not subject to consumer satisfaction--consumers who can opt out--but subject to the determination of a hegemonic organization that provides no real good or service.
So as long as nobody is forced to pay for it, you'll call in anarcho-capitalism? In that case my ideal government is a subset of your acceptable social constructs.

Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
That is irrelevant, this belief was nearly universal it was not imposed from above or else it would not survive changes in regime and we're talking about thousands of tribes and dozens of distinct child cultures.
It is relevant because you're comparing the consequences of those who are coerced and those who aren't. You're moving the goal post from an objection against the State or centralized government to one against culture.

Suppose I did, I get my hands on Spanish steel armor and I take out a hundred of them before making my escape. In anger they burn down my home and all my economic assets.

Then both their king and myself seek the services of a mediation group (two different companys). They claim I murdered a bunch of people who were just trying to get dinner and practice their religion. I claim I was driven from my home and demand justice and compensation.

Objectively I am in the right, but the system doesn't protect my liberty simply by not being inherently biased against my self-defense. It must not only be overwhelmingly biased in favor of my self-defense but also provide for justice even if I failed to defend myself (which is so often the case as aggressors are not idiots and often attack only when victory is near certain).

Please describe how anarcho-capitalist legal system fulfills those two requirements.
If you and the Olmec king seek mediation by having two companies represent your interests, then you either resolve your dispute or you continue it. Presumably, the act of seeking mediation would suggest that killing hundreds more of them, and their burning more of your homes and prospective economic assets isn't your primary goal. How you two come to terms and resolve your dispute is up to the two of you. If no arrangement is satisfactory, then the dispute goes on. If you fail to defend yourself, then your family, friends, or community can seek restitution for your wrongful death, in which case a separate mediation can occur--or they can go to war on your behalf. 

Let's stick with murder.
Why? The logic is identical.

As the fundamental problem it is (and always has been) solving it would set a template for solving all other violations of liberty.
Neither I nor anarcho-capitalism has ever presumed the capacity to provide a solution to murder. Again, I value individual autonomy more than any pretenses which assume that which is outside of my control (incidence of murder) can be prevented or avoided.

My rule of engagement is that anyone who would resort to murder dies. 95% of people who've seen a murder or been threatened by murderers will agree with me.
Argumentum ad populum.

We will terminate or enslave anyone who dares to opt out of our zero-murder policy.
Then your exercise of policy isn't based in any consistent moral economy; just your presumption to "punish."

Problem solved? (Sounds a bit like the dawn of civilization to me)
Is murder "solved"?

So as long as nobody is forced to pay for it, you'll call in anarcho-capitalism? In that case my ideal government is a subset of your acceptable social constructs.
No, it's anarcho-capitalism if it's voluntary.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
If you and the Olmec king seek mediation by having two companies represent your interests, then you either resolve your dispute or you continue it. Presumably, the act of seeking mediation would suggest that killing hundreds more of them, and their burning more of your homes and prospective economic assets isn't your primary goal. How you two come to terms and resolve your dispute is up to the two of you. If no arrangement is satisfactory, then the dispute goes on. If you fail to defend yourself, then your family, friends, or community can seek restitution for your wrongful death, in which case a separate mediation can occur--or they can go to war on your behalf. 
Yea it's going to be war, that's what happens with irreconcilable value conflicts.

So then it's back to the original arbiter: Military excellence.

There are a few rules in war, one is that all warfare is deception. A consequence is that no attack succeeds more often or more spectacularly than a preemptive strike.

In that case I'll see that these savages are a danger to everyone around them, and before they get a chance to burn down my house and kill me; I'll contract with a "mediator" who just happens to resort to violence 95% of the time. Let us call this "mediator" Mercenary Inc. Myself and other non-savages will pay Mercenary Inc to wipe them out. Not just the warriors, priests, and kings; but the families out to 2nd cousins.

Destroy the entire race and culture in a preemptive strike.

Now I'm safe, and the other people are safe. Any problem with this in your opinion?

My rule of engagement is that anyone who would resort to murder dies. 95% of people who've seen a murder or been threatened by murderers will agree with me.
Argumentum ad populum.
Not at all, simply pointing out that the vast portion of resources and manpower will be available for my plan.

We will terminate or enslave anyone who dares to opt out of our zero-murder policy.
Then your exercise of policy isn't based in any consistent moral economy; just your presumption to "punish."
What's wrong with punishment? And if there is something wrong with it, someone can seek a mediation company. We'll kill them and the mediation company; but they can try right?

Is murder "solved"?
It's more solved than if the only consequence of murder was the equivalent of a civil lawsuit and even then only if you're identified and only if your victim had a lot of people who had both money and shits to give.

No, it's anarcho-capitalism if it's voluntary.
There are two different things to volunteer for.
A) Volunteer to support the enforcement of the law
B) Volunteer to obey the law

It's (B) that is the issue, refusing to refrain from murder is not acceptable. You imply that it is ethical to deal with the unacceptable behavior of some by hiring agents and having those agents use violence (perhaps as a last resort, but still violence).

There is nothing voluntary about doing murder, and the murderer would not volunteer to be killed or exiled. My ideal government can and would (by definition) require (A). How is it materially different from a giant version of what you call mediation organizations?

Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Yea it's going to be war, that's what happens with irreconcilable value conflicts.

So then it's back to the original arbiter: Military excellence.

There are a few rules in war, one is that all warfare is deception. A consequence is that no attack succeeds more often or more spectacularly than a preemptive strike.

In that case I'll see that these savages are a danger to everyone around them, and before they get a chance to burn down my house and kill me; I'll contract with a "mediator" who just happens to resort to violence 95% of the time. Let us call this "mediator" Mercenary Inc. Myself and other non-savages will pay Mercenary Inc to wipe them out. Not just the warriors, priests, and kings; but the families out to 2nd cousins.

Destroy the entire race and culture in a preemptive strike.

Now I'm safe, and the other people are safe. Any problem with this in your opinion?
Go as far as your conscience takes you, but note that if you sanction a mercenary group's murder of not just the king, warriors, and priests who wronged you, but members of their families who took no part in the crime perpetrated against you, then you have not taken a moral position against murder; there'd be no functional difference between you and a genocidal despot.

Not at all, simply pointing out that the vast portion of resources and manpower will be available for my plan.
To be determined.

What's wrong with punishment? And if there is something wrong with it, someone can seek a mediation company. We'll kill them and the mediation company; but they can try right?
No consistent moral economy. I don't know how this discredits anarcho-capitalism.

It's more solved than if the only consequence of murder was the equivalent of a civil lawsuit and even then only if you're identified and only if your victim had a lot of people who had both money and shits to give.
Yes, people would have to give a shit. I've never denied that. How is this premise any different than that of any other social organization? As I told Critical-Tim, the only unity necessary is in the respect of individual sovereignty.

Or one can volunteer to opt out.

You imply that it is ethical to deal with the unacceptable behavior of some by hiring agents and having those agents use violence (perhaps as a last resort, but still violence).
I've implied that the incorporation of violence as a means to effectively end a threat of harm or aggression isn't morally condemnable.

There is nothing voluntary about doing murder,
Never suggested that there was.

and the murderer would not volunteer to be killed or exiled.
Why would he or she? But the murderer is not entitled to the cooperation of others as far as exile is concerned.

My ideal government can and would (by definition) require (A). How is it materially different from a giant version of what you call mediation organizations?
Because:

Athias Post #37:
operations are not subject to consumer satisfaction--consumers who can opt out--but subject to the determination of a hegemonic organization that provides no real good or service.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
then you have not taken a moral position against murder; there'd be no functional difference between you and a genocidal despot.
Ok... then how will I be stopped?

If it's between me genociding the savages and the savages genociding the civilized people, the civilized people are going to pick my genocide every time. A third option may be required.

No consistent moral economy.
What does that mean precisely?

Yes, people would have to give a shit. I've never denied that. How is this premise any different than that of any other social organization? As I told Critical-Tim, the only unity necessary is in the respect of individual sovereignty.
Society wide shit-giving is indistinguishable from support for a unified set of laws.

Unified laws being inevitable the real problem is keeping those laws moral, in other words keeping those laws from being used to violate liberty (which may be identical to what you are calling individual sovereignty)

Or one can volunteer to opt out.
Opt out of what exactly?

My ideal government can and would (by definition) require (A). How is it materially different from a giant version of what you call mediation organizations?
Because:

Athias Post #37:
operations are not subject to consumer satisfaction--consumers who can opt out--but subject to the determination of a hegemonic organization that provides no real good or service.
"consumers" can opt out of supporting my ideal government. Explain.

Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Persuade you, or effectively end the threat you've created which includes disabling you or killing you.

What does that mean precisely?
The supply of your legal framework isn't based on any consistent moral standard; neither is its demand.

Society wide shit-giving is indistinguishable from support for a unified set of laws.
Not really. Again, unity in individual sovereignty is only necessary. Whether it be cooperation or dispute, terms can be hashed out by the involved parties.

Unified laws being inevitable the real problem is keeping those laws moral, in other words keeping those laws from being used to violate liberty (which may be identical to what you are calling individual sovereignty)
Government or State is diametrically opposed to individual sovereignty; and therefore, liberty.

Opt out of what exactly?
Any arrangement they deem unfit, including cooperation with laws you deem they must obey.

"consumers" can opt out of supporting my ideal government. Explain.
Opting out informs the difference.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
Opt out of what exactly?
Any arrangement they deem unfit, including cooperation with laws you deem they must obey.
Well here is the problem, when asked how you will stop me (from genocide) you said this:

Persuade you, or effectively end the threat you've created which includes disabling you or killing you.

Whether you write it down or not, if you try to disable or kill me when I do something you find immoral, that's a law you deem I must obey.

Why can't I opt out of your notion that preemptive genocide is unacceptable?
Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Whether you write it down or not, if you try to disable or kill me when I do something you find immoral, that's a law you deem I must obey.
An oversimplification. It lacks the context that you are instigating and initiating harm or aggression--not simply my finding your action immoral. I have every right to defend my person and my property, which coincides with unity in individual sovereignty. If you want to characterize that "a law which must be obeyed" that is your prerogative. I deem it as a concept which is either respected or isn't. And if one chooses to disrespect my individual sovereignty by instigating and initiating harm or aggression toward me, then I will maintain the concept of my individual sovereignty by responding in a manner consistent with the moral framework to which I subscribe, even the resolution to our conflict is one's death.

If one is functionally indistinguishable from a genocidal despot, then one has already opted out of my notions on genocide. Just note that should one direct their aggression my way, I will respond in defense of my person and property, effectively ending the threat.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Athias
An oversimplification. It lacks the context that you are instigating and initiating harm or aggression--not simply my finding your action immoral.
To you "initiating harm or aggression" is more than finding an action immoral.

I do think initiating harm or aggression is a special case of immorality because it is something that can be proven to be immoral for anyone who claims the existence of any social rights.

Yet that does not mean this is not a moral claim. It's a code of behavior, a code that you insist on by force. If your idea of mediation services must operate by this code of liberty then they operate by a universal law.

I see no reason besides semantics to call that universal law and all its implications "the law" and the sum total of all organizations operating to enforce that law "the government". I admit that no government exists that does not violate the law, but that does not mean the word does not apply; you have to look at the definition and the definition of "government" does not imply any particular laws or support system.

I have every right to defend my person and my property, which coincides with unity in individual sovereignty.
A 'right' is a moral entity, and by my analysis you have a right to do more than defend your person and property, but also the person and property of others. If you didn't you couldn't have a right to work or run a "mediation" service could you?

If one is functionally indistinguishable from a genocidal despot, then one has already opted out of my notions on genocide.
That is equivocation. "Opt out" must mean something along the lines of "I can disobey and you won't attack me".

If "opt out" means "I can disobey, and then you attack me for disobeying" then we can already opt out, after all the governments of the world can only attack in response to your disobedience; they can't (yet) control your mind directly.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias

Yes, anyone--even the guilty. But if the guilty opts out of a dispute, he or she must accept that their dispute is ongoing, and thereby risk the consequence of an on-going dispute.
What sort of consequences in who judges with consequence will be?

I recognize the private armies would be selling their services if they were being funded, but my question is who is responsible for funding the armies that guard the entire society.
The armies themselves like any private organization is responsible for its own funding. If they require outside funding, they can seek investors or request donation.
How is there any certainty for protection if the military is responsible for its own funding? What would happen if society decided they didn't feel like they needed a military and a future generation because there's been peace for so long? What would happen if the majority of people stopped funding the military, will there be any sort of requirement for funding, and who judges what is the requirement for funding?

Would the funding be a collective effort, and would the effort be equal or based on a person's income?
All terms of agreement to be hashed out by the involved parties.
I think this is an oversimplification of a complex issue. Not everything can just be "hashed out" between the parties involved. What happens if there is no resolution between the involved parties who makes the final decision?

Not necessarily. Consumer-based preferences will dictate "law" and one can opt-in or opt-out.
So, citizenship would be sort of like a consumer-based policy? If people within the society do not purchase goods, they do not need to opt into the society, and therefore do not opt into the law? This is a bit confusing, and vague.

Perhaps private mediation is effective, but what would happen in the event that neither party is willing to accept an arrangement from the other?
Then they have an ongoing dispute.
For how long can a dispute be ongoing? Is it possible for an individual to just keep pushing on a dispute indefinitely in essence past their lifetime and no consequences ever inflicted upon them? If not, who judges this, and what is the overarching law that governs this aspect of society?

What would be the overarching structure that both would be required to follow in the event neither are willing to accept an arrangement and who would determine this?
You are making statements which imply a government. The whole point is for the individuals to come to a resolution themselves. They accept the resolution because it's a subsequent product of the terms to which they've agreed. If they, or one party by some chance disagrees with the resolution, the parties involved can seek a different mediator, resolve their dispute by other means, or continue their dispute.
What happens if one of the members of the dispute decides it's become unreasonable, and they no longer want to postpone the resolution because they need money to resolve the problem from the other person otherwise, they will go bankrupt and the other refuses to determine the resolution therefore postponing causing issues for the person who needs resolution now? What happens if one of the members decides they are not willing to seek a mediator, or that they would like to postpone the dispute indefinitely? You said there are other means to solve this. Like what?

What happens if an individual has been tricked into making an agreement that was obviously unfair, but they did agree to it?
Then he or she has been tricked. This creates a different dispute for which the offended party can seek private mediation.
Who determines what is offensive can anyone just claim to be offended, and then the private mediator determines the resolution that is best in the interest of the person claiming to be offended? Offense isn't an objective and therefore no one could refuse.

What happens if an individual has entered into life-long indentured servitude over the inability to pay back $100?
Slave contracts will not be upheld in anarchy.
Slavery was an exaggeration of my point. Who determines what is a reasonable and unreasonable bargain?

Would there be anyone to oversee which agreements or transactions are considered fair, or if there cannot be a resolution found between the parties?
If there is a need for such oversight, then yes.
If there isn't, someone will take advantage of it. Who would oversee, and who would determine who would oversee?

Uniformity is how well you are unified, if you're not cooperating in uniformity then I don't see how a society would be well structured.
That is not an argument; that is your impression. Two individuals are capable of cooperating--even if they don't completely share a sense of "uniformity."  They need only be unified in their sense of individuality, and the sovereignty it affords.
I see you draw the distinction that individuals can be unified from their sense of individuality. I think it's important to acknowledge that there are different strengths between the bonds of different forms of unification. I don't believe uniformity among individuality is a strong one, and I know with certainty it is not the strongest one.

Would these private militaries be educated in the art of war and what is Considered ethical in the global warfare community?
They will do whatever they can to sell their services successfully. If that necessitates being educated in art of war--as I presume it would--then that is what they'll do. If they're terrible at their jobs, then they obviously will find little success in selling their services, and lose favor to their competitors.
What happens if a war is coming, and the contractors feel they are not willing to fight at the agreed upon price as they had said before knowing the size of the war? Can the military just opt out and what would happen to the society who would they find as an alternative in such limited time, or would they just be destroyed? Would there be a penalty for the military for opting out? If so, this would contradict the free ability of selling and denying service.

In a society where the individual is more important than the nation, the problem is that the individual has nothing to live for after death.
Please explain.
In collectivist countries and countries that have group causes when people are involved in something that is not physical but more of an idea or a concept the idea or concept, aka cause, will live in a sense that is not alive but is at the same time. It will not die and exists in a formless sense. It's quite similar to religion, which is why religion has been the main form of unification between nations in the past. A religion exists, but it does not live so it cannot die, it can live on forever through the generations and therefore it is greater than any living thing could be because of its unending and immortal existence that is why so many people find value and things that live on after death. This is why they worship it like a god or a deity because its existence is quite similar to a god or a deity in the sense it is immortal and exists nonetheless.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias

In the end, it is a trade-off: more freedom means less meaning, and more meaning means less freedom. You buy one by selling the other.
Meaning is subject to individual evaluation.
Yes, that is accurate and does not contradict what I said above. Meaning is subjective to individuals, but freedom is not meaningful in itself.

My point is that governments that are uniformed and meaning driven are more powerful than societies that lack uniformity and meaning.
You haven't substantiated that anaracho-capitalist society lacks "meaning." And I've stated before the only unity "required" is in the concept that they're all sovereign individuals.
You are correct, I have not sustained why an anarcho-capitalist society lacks meaning. I have established that a society that is unified is a society that believes in something that is greater than life because it never dies and that is why it is personified and feels so meaningful. I have also explained that in an individualistic society the greatest sovereignty is the individual and so the greatest thing to live for is life and life will die eventually. This highlights the distinction between something that is meaningful and something that is fleeting. Within an anarcho-capitalist society individualism is supported as the nation is not sovereign over the individual. Because of this, members of an anarcho-capitalist society lack the meaning of something that lives on after death. It is also important to note that individuals who find meaning in their work and their life put much more determination into their accomplishments such as my example above when I explained how the Nazis were one of the most powerful nations for their size because they had uniformity and determination through their meaning of something that would live past their lives. Now to readdress my statement, a government that is unified and meaning driven is more powerful than a society that lacks uniformity and meaning. A society that is collectivist or unified under something that is lasting, and meaningful past life will inevitably be more driven to accomplish their goals and determined to protect their society and nation unlike the military, which you describe is only seeking money. Do you think that a nation such as the Nazis were more powerful than an equal sized private contracting military that is only seeking their next paycheck?

There is a middle ground between the concepts of freedom and meaning. I am not supporting Nazism, but I am also not supporting anarchism. I believe that both have important aspects of a society that are important, but the ideal society is between them, which is the balance between freedom and power.
On the "middle ground" is where you find inconsistency. You'll discover once you've extended these "balanced" premises to their logical conclusions, they're absurd. If one maintains that individual autonomy is the highest good, then anarchy is the logical extension politically. There's no "balance." You either subscribe to individual autonomy or you subscribe to individual behavior being subject to someone else's arbitration.
The world isn't black and white, it's more complex than that.

Education as well as certification can be sold. Private organizations supplying these goods can compete in an an open market.
Do you see there being a problem with having a sizable percentage of the population who cannot afford their own education, and no one is responsible for them but themselves? Not everyone is born well off. What do you think this will do to the economy if much of the population isn't educated? It will lead back to the original problem I mentioned before, which is other nations' educations and technologies will grow and outsize an anarchist society, leading to a weakness that could be exploited by another nation invading.

I emboldened those parts to demonstrate contradiction. You state they (members of an anarcho-capitalist society) can coordinate and then conclude that they lack organization because you allege, they can't cooperate. So, let me ask you this: is voluntary organization impossible?
No, voluntary organization is possible, but it is not stable and fluctuates between individuals and generations. I did not say it was impossible for them to organize. 
I'm trying to explain how a voluntary agreement is not stable enough to maintain itself long-term, and it will either crumble or be destroyed. The most concerning part of your description of a utopian society to me is the military being a private contractor.

Would there be a jury,
If the involved parties want one, then there could be.
What happens if an individual murders someone and then says they don't want a jury? Then they don't ever agree to what the other person says, and they can't ever decide because it's a 1 to 1 vote.

and would the jury be paid by the community?
Not necessarily. Naturally, this would be paid for by the involved parties, or the parties in dispute. If however a group of individuals seek to streamline costs and pool their resources, they would be more than welcome to do so.
This would inevitably lead to bias juries and injustice. No one would fight for an injustice society, especially after being taken advantage of in such a way.

Who would determine the penalty for the crime?
The free market.
I see this as a way for individuals who have money to harshly penalize those who don't, and for ones who have money to escape penalties, while others suffer consequences of the exact same actions.
Athias
Athias
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
To you "initiating harm or aggression" is more than finding an action immoral.
To me, effectively ending the threat to my person or property as a response to your initiation of aggression or harm is not [just] simply finding your action immoral.

Yet that does not mean this is not a moral claim.
Never stated that it wasn't.

It's a code of behavior, a code that you insist on by force.
No, it's a code I defend by force if necessary.

If your idea of mediation services must operate by this code of liberty then they operate by a universal law.
It must operate by a universal moralist code--i.e. subscription to individual sovereignty.

I see no reason besides semantics
All arguments are semantic.

to call that universal law and all its implications "the law" and the sum total of all organizations operating to enforce that law "the government".
Non sequitur. These dispute resolution organizations do not "enforce." How could they if they subscribe to individual sovereignty?

I admit that no government exists that does not violate the law,
No government exists which does not violate individual sovereignty.

but that does not mean the word does not apply; you have to look at the definition and the definition of "government" does not imply any particular laws or support system.
Any organization which presumes final authority over the individual necessarily contradicts individual sovereignty.

A 'right' is a moral entity,
Naturally.

you have a right to do more than defend your person and property, but also the person and property of others.
I wouldn't call that "a right." I don't disagree with that which I presume you intend to infer, but protecting the person and property of others is not a right. That is a claim maintained to the exclusion of all others. I'll provide a scenario. Say you see someone who has a gun pointed at them by another person. Naturally you assume that this person is being threatened. You happen to have a firearm about your person, and you shoot the other individual holding the gun. Turns out the individual holding the gun was assisting the individual at whom he was pointing his gun in his suicide attempt. Would your "right" be maintained then?

I'll give you another: what if I want to burn my own building? You see the arsonists about to ignite my building and you shoot them, would your "right" be maintained then?

I'm not suggesting at all that one would or should be condemned for acting in the defense of another and their property, but that does not suggest a "right."

If you didn't you couldn't have a right to work or run a "mediation" service could you?
What is it that you believe a mediation does?

"Opt out" must mean something along the lines of "I can disobey and you won't attack me".
I wouldn't word it that way, but I'll entertain it for the sake of argument.

If "opt out" means "I can disobey, and then you attack me for disobeying" then we can already opt out, after all the governments of the world can only attack in response to your disobedience;
Not the least bit true. The government can attack you based on mere suspicion, whether you're "obeying" or not.

I still do not see the demonstration of how any of this discredits anarcho-capitalism. You provide an arcane and antiquated reference to the Olmec which I presume was intended to demonstrate a fundamental dilemma, but it instead demonstrated a mere disagreement with how conflicts and disputes are resolved. I can maintain the morality maintained in anarcho-capitalism with consistency. You, on the other hand, have yet to do so in favor of government.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
What sort of consequences in who judges with consequence will be?
I don't understand what you're asking. Perhaps you can rephrase it?

How is there any certainty for protection if the military is responsible for its own funding?
There is no certainty for protection, with or without government.

What would happen if society decided they didn't feel like they needed a military and a future generation because there's been peace for so long?
Then, I suppose, they would not employ the services of a private military.

What would happen if the majority of people stopped funding the military, will there be any sort of requirement for funding, and who judges what is the requirement for funding?
No, there would be no requirement.

I think this is an oversimplification of a complex issue. Not everything can just be "hashed out" between the parties involved.
Why not?

What happens if there is no resolution between the involved parties who makes the final decision?
There will be a resolution regardless. It'll either be a unanimous or majoritarian. The dissenters can acquiesce to the unanimous or majoritarian decision, or they can opt out. That is a resolution in and of itself.

So, citizenship would be sort of like a consumer-based policy?
Yes.

If people within the society do not purchase goods, they do not need to opt into the society,
No. Individuals can decide whether or not they intend to provide finance, time, or labor to public goods. If they do not intend to consume one or more public goods, they can opt out. In turn, those who opt out can be refused service.

For how long can a dispute be ongoing?
That is a subject for the individuals involved.

Is it possible for an individual to just keep pushing on a dispute indefinitely in essence past their lifetime and no consequences ever inflicted upon them?
"Inflicted"? Yes, I suppose it's possible. But again, that would be a subject for the individuals involved.

If not, who judges this, and what is the overarching law that governs this aspect of society?
You mean, who acts as the government? As I've already stated, disputes and conflicts are subject to individual discretion and/or dispute resolution organizations.

What happens if one of the members of the dispute decides it's become unreasonable, and they no longer want to postpone the resolution because they need money to resolve the probleIf there isn't, someone will take advantage of it.m from the other person otherwise, they will go bankrupt and the other refuses to determine the resolution therefore postponing causing issues for the person who needs resolution now? What happens if one of the members decides they are not willing to seek a mediator, or that they would like to postpone the dispute indefinitely? You said there are other means to solve this. Like what?
Cut your losses and ostracize the offending party.

Who determines what is offensive can anyone just claim to be offended, and then the private mediator determines the resolution that is best in the interest of the person claiming to be offended?
Why would a mediator resolve an issue in the best interests of one party, if multiple parties are involved?

Slavery was an exaggeration of my point. Who determines what is a reasonable and unreasonable bargain?
The free market.

If there isn't, someone will take advantage of it.
How?

Who would oversee, and who would determine who would oversee?
Reputation.

I don't believe uniformity among individuality is a strong one, and I know with certainty it is not the strongest one.
How do you know with certainty? Is the strength of bonds not too subject to individual evaluation?

What happens if a war is coming, and the contractors feel they are not willing to fight at the agreed upon price as they had said before knowing the size of the war?
Then they won't fight.

Can the military just opt out
Yes.

and what would happen to the society who would they find as an alternative in such limited time, or would they just be destroyed?
Or they can fight themselves. But a private military opting out at the advent of war doesn't bode well for its reputation and business.

Would there be a penalty for the military for opting out?
No.

If so, this would contradict the free ability of selling and denying service.
It would. That's the reason I didn't suggest it.

In collectivist countries and countries that have group causes when people are involved in something that is not physical but more of an idea or a concept the idea or concept, aka cause, will live in a sense that is not alive but is at the same time. It will not die and exists in a formless sense. It's quite similar to religion, which is why religion has been the main form of unification between nations in the past. A religion exists, but it does not live so it cannot die, it can live on forever through the generations and therefore it is greater than any living thing could be because of its unending and immortal existence that is why so many people find value and things that live on after death. This is why they worship it like a god or a deity because its existence is quite similar to a god or a deity in the sense it is immortal and exists nonetheless.
Couldn't the same be stated for individual sovereignty?
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
Yes, that is accurate and does not contradict what I said above. Meaning is subjective to individuals, but freedom is not meaningful in itself.
You are contradicting your statement in the very same statement.

I have also explained that in an individualistic society the greatest sovereignty is the individual and so the greatest thing to live for is life and life will die eventually.
Why would a society that is both practiced and applied "in life" be concerned with that which happens "after life"?

Now to readdress my statement, a government that is unified and meaning driven is more powerful than a society that lacks uniformity and meaning. A society that is collectivist or unified under something that is lasting, and meaningful past life will inevitably be more driven to accomplish their goals and determined to protect their society
That once again is subject to individual evaluation.

and nation unlike the military, which you describe is only seeking money. Do you think that a nation such as the Nazis were more powerful than an equal sized private contracting military that is only seeking their next paycheck?
When did this become a subject of "power"?

The world isn't black and white, it's more complex than that.
As far as this subject is concerned, yes it is. One either subscribes to individual autonomy or one doesn't. And if one cannot maintain any consistency in his or her subscription, then one should abandon the illusion.

Do you see there being a problem with having a sizable percentage of the population who cannot afford their own education, and no one is responsible for them but themselves?
Why wouldn't a sizeable percentage of the population be able to afford its own education?

What do you think this will do to the economy if much of the population isn't educated?
Exactly. So I ask again: why wouldn't a sizeable percentage of the population be able to afford its own education?

It will lead back to the original problem I mentioned before, which is other nations' educations and technologies will grow and outsize an anarchist society, leading to a weakness that could be exploited by another nation invading.
This inference extends a non-sequitur--an (anarchist) society incapable of educating itself. You have not substantiated this.

I'm trying to explain how a voluntary agreement is not stable enough to maintain itself long-term, and it will either crumble or be destroyed.
Voluntary agreements can only crumble or be destroyed by involuntary association--e.g. government.

The most concerning part of your description of a utopian society to me is the military being a private contractor.
Where did I argue for "utopia"?

What happens if an individual murders someone and then says they don't want a jury? Then they don't ever agree to what the other person says, and they can't ever decide because it's a 1 to 1 vote.
They both can leave the "tiebreaker" to the mediator.

This would inevitably lead to bias juries and injustice. No one would fight for an injustice society, especially after being taken advantage of in such a way.
How?

I see this as a way for individuals who have money to harshly penalize those who don't,
Why would this be an issue if the involve parties can opt in and opt out?

and for ones who have money to escape penalties,
A poor reputation isn't good for business.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
I apologize, but my time is limited, so I will try to address the responses I believe are the most imperative. If I missed something that you believe is more important than the rest please re-address, and I'll do my best. Moreover, I find fixating on a specific issue in more depth is better than spreading over many simultaneous questions. I will attempt to construct sets of questions into larger questions that are more easily addressed. much of this is based upon my understanding of the world and is not necessarily verifiable by a research institute that I can cite; therefore, if you disagree that is fine, but I don't believe either of us can present any more evidence to suggest our claims as evident. I'm currently most active in the utopian society forum, if you believe this constitutes your utopian society then feel free to continue the discussion there and I will respond.

How is there any certainty for protection if the military is responsible for its own funding?
There is no certainty for protection, with or without government.

What would happen if society decided they didn't feel like they needed a military and a future generation because there's been peace for so long?
Then, I suppose, they would not employ the services of a private military.

What would happen if the majority of people stopped funding the military, will there be any sort of requirement for funding, and who judges what is the requirement for funding?
No, there would be no requirement.
What happens if a war is coming, and the contractors feel they are not willing to fight at the agreed upon price as they had said before knowing the size of the war?
Then they won't fight.

Can the military just opt out
Yes.

and what would happen to the society who would they find as an alternative in such limited time, or would they just be destroyed?
Or they can fight themselves. But a private military opting out at the advent of war doesn't bode well for its reputation and business.

Would there be a penalty for the military for opting out?
No.
I don't believe individuals who have a day job and were counting on a private contracting military to defend them that just opt out on a whim would be something recoverable for a nation if being invaded. The private contractors would no longer have business and the nation would be destroyed by one nation that had a military with a centralized government. I believe this is too unstable to exist long term since all it would take is one generation to slip up on their values. Perhaps the military could just ramp up the price right before war to an extortious amount that would leave the civilians with pennies in order to save their lives and then the economy would be ruined and it's a free market, so it's all legal.

I think this is an oversimplification of a complex issue. Not everything can just be "hashed out" between the parties involved.
Why not?

What happens if there is no resolution between the involved parties who makes the final decision?
There will be a resolution regardless. It'll either be a unanimous or majoritarian. The dissenters can acquiesce to the unanimous or majoritarian decision, or they can opt out. That is a resolution in and of itself.

If people within the society do not purchase goods, they do not need to opt into the society,
No. Individuals can decide whether or not they intend to provide finance, time, or labor to public goods. If they do not intend to consume one or more public goods, they can opt out. In turn, those who opt out can be refused service.

For how long can a dispute be ongoing?
That is a subject for the individuals involved.

Is it possible for an individual to just keep pushing on a dispute indefinitely in essence past their lifetime and no consequences ever inflicted upon them?
"Inflicted"? Yes, I suppose it's possible. But again, that would be a subject for the individuals involved.

If not, who judges this, and what is the overarching law that governs this aspect of society?
You mean, who acts as the government? As I've already stated, disputes and conflicts are subject to individual discretion and/or dispute resolution organizations.

What happens if one of the members of the dispute decides it's become unreasonable, and they no longer want to postpone the resolution because they need money to resolve the probleIf there isn't, someone will take advantage of it.m from the other person otherwise, they will go bankrupt and the other refuses to determine the resolution therefore postponing causing issues for the person who needs resolution now? What happens if one of the members decides they are not willing to seek a mediator, or that they would like to postpone the dispute indefinitely? You said there are other means to solve this. Like what?
Cut your losses and ostracize the offending party.

Who determines what is offensive can anyone just claim to be offended, and then the private mediator determines the resolution that is best in the interest of the person claiming to be offended?
Why would a mediator resolve an issue in the best interests of one party, if multiple parties are involved?

If there isn't, someone will take advantage of it.
How?
What happens if a person within society is a tourist and is not engaging in active trade and commerce and therefore not considered a citizen, are they not held accountable for their actions, what will the foreigner policy be? Someone could easily take advantage by continuing to postpone the consequences of their actions indefinitely, leading to a society where individuals can do whatever they want without ever being held accountable for their actions. Someone could easily decide that there is injustice within the opposing party even though they are the offender and can dispute the legality of unanimous or majority vote since people are aware majority vote and unanimous vote do not justify actions.

I don't believe uniformity among individuality is a strong one, and I know with certainty it is not the strongest one.
How do you know with certainty? Is the strength of bonds not too subject to individual evaluation?

Couldn't the same be stated for individual sovereignty?
I was just explaining in the utopia forum and philosophy how my belief in the strength of bonds among friendships is subjective, but also measured by the number of connections and intensity. The intensity of the connection or similarity between you and an individual is subjective but the number of connections you relate between is objective and countable. Therefore, the relationship between you and an individual or you and a nation has both subjective and objective aspects. With a nation that is grouped together by a belief in individual sovereignty they are connected by one belief and the intensity is how they feel for that belief. for a nation that does not allow individual sovereignty but implements individual rights under a collectivist government have much more similarities among individuals and their intensities vary. I believe that the summation among the values of a collectivist nation is stronger than the single value held by a society associated by individualism.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias

I have also explained that in an individualistic society the greatest sovereignty is the individual and so the greatest thing to live for is life and life will die eventually.
Why would a society that is both practiced and applied "in life" be concerned with that which happens "after life"?
Everyone must have a reason for living besides living itself, otherwise it's circular reasoning. Everyone needs justification for their existence to feel meaningful.

Now to readdress my statement, a government that is unified and meaning driven is more powerful than a society that lacks uniformity and meaning. A society that is collectivist or unified under something that is lasting, and meaningful past life will inevitably be more driven to accomplish their goals and determined to protect their society
That once again is subject to individual evaluation.

and nation unlike the military, which you describe is only seeking money. Do you think that a nation such as the Nazis were more powerful than an equal sized private contracting military that is only seeking their next paycheck?
When did this become a subject of "power"?
You told me a society that is anarcho-capitalist could survive long-term. Can you describe a single society that has survived without power?

Do you see there being a problem with having a sizable percentage of the population who cannot afford their own education, and no one is responsible for them but themselves?
Why wouldn't a sizeable percentage of the population be able to afford its own education?
Are there any first world countries today that exist with societies that do not require schooling? Africa is the first country that comes to my mind that does not require schooling and it is not a 1st world country. In order for a country to develop and grow it must be educated. What percentage of the population do you believe would not engage in curricular activities?

I'm trying to explain how a voluntary agreement is not stable enough to maintain itself long-term, and it will either crumble or be destroyed.
Voluntary agreements can only crumble or be destroyed by involuntary association--e.g. government.
It may be possible for voluntary agreement between two individuals, but what happens when there is a massive individual and They do not have a majority of the population leaning in any one way as they are all leaning towards different aspects. Society isn't one way or the other option, there are many directions it could go and thus people involved in the society will not have a majority leaning in a single direction. Even if we went majority vote the majority of society would be opposed. Perhaps between a dispute of two parties we can do a majority vote, what happens when three people create an argument that is in more than two different aspects. I'm certain you will request me to provide an example so here is one: should society be governed by a moral structure that is founded upon deontology, consequentialism, or virtue ethics? This may not be applicable in your society, but this is an example of a 3-aspect question that cannot be chosen as 1 or the other.

The most concerning part of your description of a utopian society to me is the military being a private contractor.
Where did I argue for "utopia"?
I must have been distracted and thought it was the utopia forum for a moment... Oops.

They both can leave the "tiebreaker" to the mediator.

How?

I see this as a way for individuals who have money to harshly penalize those who don't,
Why would this be an issue if the involve parties can opt in and opt out?

and for ones who have money to escape penalties,
A poor reputation isn't good for business.
It would have equally as poor of a reputation as it does good, a jury will have equally as many winners as it does losers when it judges. What happens if the offender decides they do not want a mediator and it stays a one-to-one vote? They could then push off the decision indefinitely. If a jury was to be paid, it would be obligated to vote for the person paying. Alternatively, if it is not to be paid why would they show up (I wouldn't, I have more important things to do than judge other people's affairs)?
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
I apologize, but my time is limited, so I will try to address the responses I believe are the most imperative.
Feel free to respond at your leisure.

much of this is based upon my understanding of the world and is not necessarily verifiable by a research institute that I can cite; therefore, if you disagree that is fine, but I don't believe either of us can present any more evidence to suggest our claims as evident.
We should not let disagreement be misconstrued as a "flaw."

I don't believe individuals who have a day job and were counting on a private contracting military to defend them that just opt out on a whim would be something recoverable for a nation if being invaded.
How often do you imagine a nation which has enjoyed a long period of peace being invaded? You're grasping at worst case scenarios.

The private contractors would no longer have business
Exactly. So this would present an incentive for the private contractors to honor their contracts, less they wish to go out of business. Another incentive is that if they're consumers die, there's no one around to pay them.

I believe this is too unstable to exist long term since all it would take is one generation to slip up on their values.
And this can simply be remedied by another generation's living up to their values.

Perhaps the military could just ramp up the price right before war to an extortious amount that would leave the civilians with pennies in order to save their lives and then the economy would be ruined and it's a free market, so it's all legal.
What is an "extortious" amount, especially for someone who's willing to risk their person, even their lives, to resolve your conflict?

What happens if a person within society is a tourist and is not engaging in active trade and commerce and therefore not considered a citizen, are they not held accountable for their actions, what will the foreigner policy be? Someone could easily take advantage by continuing to postpone the consequences of their actions indefinitely, leading to a society where individuals can do whatever they want without ever being held accountable for their actions. Someone could easily decide that there is injustice within the opposing party even though they are the offender and can dispute the legality of unanimous or majority vote since people are aware majority vote and unanimous vote do not justify actions.
If a national has a dispute with a foreigner, then they both can seek mediation in the event of a dispute. (I would assume that a foreigner's money is as good as that of anyone else.) And I do not subscribe to argument ad populum--i.e. appeal to consensus. The unanimous and/or majoritarian decision is merely a means to resolve a dispute if the involved parties subscribe.

The intensity of the connection or similarity between you and an individual is subjective but the number of connections you relate between is objective and countable. Therefore, the relationship between you and an individual or you and a nation has both subjective and objective aspects.
Explain.

With a nation that is grouped together by a belief in individual sovereignty they are connected by one belief and the intensity is how they feel for that belief. for a nation that does not allow individual sovereignty but implements individual rights under a collectivist government
There are no individual rights without individual sovereignty. That which you characterize as individual rights are merely privileges dispensed by a collectivist State.

I believe that the summation among the values of a collectivist nation is stronger than the single value held by a society associated by individualism.
Because?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias

I don't believe individuals who have a day job and were counting on a private contracting military to defend them that just opt out on a whim would be something recoverable for a nation if being invaded.
How often do you imagine a nation which has enjoyed a long period of peace being invaded? You're grasping at worst case scenarios.
I'm not referring to peace but the absence of destruction. I'm not intending to grasp the worst-case scenarios. I meant to uncover potential flaws in the society you described. If I do uncover a flaw, you can perhaps adjust your idea to accommodate and further support the strength of your vision. Otherwise, it further proves your idea to already well structured.

The private contractors would no longer have business
Exactly. So this would present an incentive for the private contractors to honor their contracts, less they wish to go out of business. Another incentive is that if they're consumers die, there's no one around to pay them.
They could quite easily find a new line of work since their war reputation didn't work out, so I don't believe quiting at in imperative moment would harm them nearly as much as society.

I believe this is too unstable to exist long term since all it would take is one generation to slip up on their values.
And this can simply be remedied by another generation's living up to their values.
I suppose it could work if the future generations could be raised in a way that they would live up to their parents' values, but this hasn't been successful so far.

Perhaps the military could just ramp up the price right before war to an extortious amount that would leave the civilians with pennies in order to save their lives and then the economy would be ruined and it's a free market, so it's all legal.
What is an "extortious" amount, especially for someone who's willing to risk their person, even their lives, to resolve your conflict?
I would consider half the economic value for a year of war as extortious.

The intensity of the connection or similarity between you and an individual is subjective but the number of connections you relate between is objective and countable. Therefore, the relationship between you and an individual or you and a nation has both subjective and objective aspects.
Explain.
I find that a person that a friend is someone who shares commonalities such as background, memories, preferences, or tastes. I'm not a friend with someone on the other side of the world, but I don't dislike them. Meanwhile, I care much more for a person whom I have share many personality characteristics. I don't mean to have bias, it just is. I also find that over time friendships grow apart. It's not that they dislike each other, but that their lives grew in different directions. This separation of preferences and values, along with personality characteristics, seem to be the main cause of building and breaking friendships and relationships in general. I believe this to be the reason why people always start a conversation with what is your favorite color, what are your favorite movies, what makes them so funny. They are searching for a commonality between them that they can harmonize with, thereby cultivating their relationship.

With a nation that is grouped together by a belief in individual sovereignty they are connected by one belief and the intensity is how they feel for that belief. for a nation that does not allow individual sovereignty but implements individual rights under a collectivist government
There are no individual rights without individual sovereignty. That which you characterize as individual rights are merely privileges dispensed by a collectivist State.

I believe that the summation among the values of a collectivist nation is stronger than the single value held by a society associated by individualism.
Because?
Here is my post from the Utopian society forum that explains why I believe the value of connections is important for society:
People need to be involved with society in order to feel meaningful and feel as though they are a part of it. If you were in a group but you don't feel like you're part of it, then you don't feel as though you're really part of the group. If you don't feel like you're really a part of the group, you don't feel like your part is meaningful or much of a contribution and therefore you won't put much effort into supporting that group. Alternatively, if you feel as though you are a meaningful part of the group you will, assuming you enjoy being a part of the group, will present your best effort and contribution towards the betterment of the group. For example, in America during World War 1 and 2 there was a saying, "America needs you," and it was on a poster board with Uncle Sam as the face of America. If you're familiar with the book 1984, it's similar to Big Brother. People have a hard time addressing emotion or feelings towards an abstract idea, but once that personification is reduced into a human form it is more easily associable. This is why just like in the book America reduced the abstract concept of itself down to one person which represented America and when that one person which was easily relatable to the average citizen said that they need you they personally understood the affection that America needed them and felt a deep meaning towards their contribution and part of America which is why so many people were motivated to recycle metals and do their part towards winning the war.