Total: 63
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
I'm pretty sure now is the time.  

Let us now. 
☆☆☆☆☆☆   Synchronize watches fellas. ☆☆☆☆☆ 
Actully. 
To be more with the " times " pardon pun. 
Let us now. 
☆☆☆☆☆☆  synchronize mobiles fellas.  ☆☆☆☆☆☆

Then In exactly 72 hours from  now ,  ( the" now " being the time stamped on this post.) 
We will alllllll say " now  "  thirty times going with the seconds movment on a clock. 
I reckon we are sure to get a combined,  " now"  

No like. 

Now.
And thennnnnnnn

Now. 

Oh that was a good one. 

Anyways , if we can achieve this  "synchronized " Now. 
Likeeeee Now.
No but seriously,    If we do it ,  im guessing   a porthole of sorts will spring into existence somewhere. 
Thus rendering all the Laws of nature and stuff , MUTE. 

As soon as completion of  ■■■■■ A combined NOW occurrence  ■■■■■■ happens.  
We will hear  a very odd strange ummm  " crack " " snap"  like sound. 

Like a snapping of a tree branch × 100 

This horrible , beyond weird,  unexplainable sound that occurs will not be and can not be explained.  

Sooo
Who's in to try and pull off this ??? .   
( A COMBINED  ●●●●  N O W  ●●●● )  
Thus triggering  a TRUE
(   Moment in ummmm, time ) 

PM . Me for correct  time synchronicity. 

Just Do it. 

A (synchronized )  "now"  must contain 4 or more human.   No less.

Good luck andddddd

Good game.
Good game.

Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I don't seem to understand the point behind your analogy. Could you explain what you mean in another way?
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Math_Enthusiast
A few questions to ponder and discuss:

1.  Does the past exist?
  2. Does the future exist?
  3. Do abstractions exist?
  4. Do thoughts exist?
  5. If something will never be observed, does it exist?
  6. If you have heard that something has been observed, but never observe it yourself, does it exist?
These are questions materialists can't answer with consistency. Case in point: I've asked several self-described and presumed materialists to prove that the number, "2," exists in concordance with their materialist standards. I've been met with, at best, haphazard attempts to substantiate how the existent can interact with the nonexistent without any codependence. This haphazardry is only exacerbated by the fact that ALL PHYSICAL LAWS must necessarily be mathematically proven. The issue here is that mathematics is an abstract. So how does that which exists (i.e. the "physical") depend on that which allegedly doesn't exist (i.e. the abstract or the immaterial)? Of course this is then compounded with pointless attempts at creating distinctions between that which is "only inside one's head" and that which isn't. I refer to it as pointless because the materialists in my experience have repeatedly failed to hearken back to their maintained standards--i.e. the scientific method--and provide sufficient controls for their alleged observations of that which is "independent of their minds" and that which isn't. Not only do they not bear the capacity to experience such an observation, but also they WOULD NOT be able to rationalize it. The only solution to materialist inconsistency, at least according to my own satisfaction, is to proffer that everything exists and nothing does not exist. So with that in mind, I will answer your questions:

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. No.
6. Yes.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
Do you believe that from a subjective or objective viewpoint, or do you believe that as a universal truth? My more elaborate comments are 23 and 28.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@b9_ntt
Maybe.

Depends upon the outcome of the infinity debate.

If time is infinitely fast, then yes, now is meaningless.

But if time is finite, then theoretically one could pin down now.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
Do you believe that from a subjective or objective viewpoint, or do you believe that as a universal truth?
I believe it to be a logical necessity.

My more elaborate comments are 23 and 28.
I know. I read through the responses before posting.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
Subjective and objective perspectives can both be logically derived. I believe you're thinking about the word pragmatic. It is not always practical to use a subjective or an objective viewpoint in specific circumstances, but you must choose the one that is relevant to the answer you wish to receive. When choosing what material, I need to boil water I must check its objective properties so that it will not melt at the boiling temperature of water. When choosing a present for my friend I will not check the objective truth for the most beautiful color but instead their subjective favorite. I hope these clearly demonstrate that both objectivity and subjectivity are logical but must be chosen practically given the circumstances.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
Subjective and objective perspectives can both be logically derived.
Not "objective" perspectives.

I believe you're thinking about the word pragmatic.
Pragmatic may apply as well, but I'm primarily thinking along the lines of logic.

When choosing what material, I need to boil water I must check its objective properties so that it will not melt at the boiling temperature of water.
The boiling point of water is not "objective"; it's an abstract representation of a consistent logic.

When choosing a present for my friend I will not check the objective truth for the most beautiful color but instead their subjective favorite.
Why would one attempt to quantify qualia?

I hope these clearly demonstrate that both objectivity and subjectivity are logical but must be chosen practically given the circumstances.
Quanta =/= Objective.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
What do you mean by quanta equals objectivity? What do you believe constitutes an objective property?
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
What do you mean by quanta equals objectivity?
I didn't suggest that Quanta equals Objectivity. I suggested that Quanta does not equal Objectivity.

Athias Post #38:
Quanta =/= Objective.

What do you believe constitutes an objective property?
I don't believe anything constitutes an "objective" property. I believe objectivity is irrational because it necessitates the rationalization of that which is claimed to exist independent of the mind. Since that which exists independent of the mind is irrational, so must be any qualifications of it.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
I misunderstood your syntax, my apologies. What do you mean by quanta does not equal objective?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
I believe I understand now. You believe what exists is only what is conceived by the mind and nothing outside of it?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
I don't think that the objective realm is irrational, but theoretical. Would you agree that the objective realm is theoretical but also pragmatic?
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
I misunderstood your syntax, my apologies. What do you mean by quanta does not equal objective?
Quanta: amalgamation of discrete physical phenomena.

Objectivity: argument that "reality" exist independent of a subject's perception and/or mind.

Quanta =/= Objectivity means that empirical rationalizations of physical phenomena doesn't inform an ontology which is devoid of a subject's perception and/or mind.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
I believe I understand now. You believe what exists is only what is conceived by the mind and nothing outside of it?
I believe what's outside the mind is irrational since it is impossible to create, let alone, rationalization a sufficient control for that which is independent of the mind.

Would you agree that the objective realm is theoretical but also pragmatic?
No. I actually think it's impractical because it creates inconsistency and logical regress.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
In what way do you view the objective realm causes logical inconsistencies? The nature of objective is it is meant to be universal or independent of perspective.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
In what way do you view the objective realm causes logical inconsistencies?
Incapacity to provide sufficient controls for that which is claimed to exist independent of a subject's perception and/or mind.

The nature of objective is it is meant to be universal or independent of perspective.
Logical consistency and perspective aren't mutually exclusive.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
Do you think that a theory with no proof is illogical, or the certainty of its truth?
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
I forgot to click your names . Sorry guys.

To
▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•   《    Critical    and    Athias   》▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•

I like thinking about. 
Religious members of a jury.
And atheist mebers of a jury.

I , myself belive i would be one of the WORST member of a jury.  
I belive I'd find it real real difficult to choose  ( GUILTY )  

Is it " Doubt " ? 

Think of arguments put to and in a "certain way "  to atheists members in a jury.     
Anddddd
Religious members of a jury.   

For the " atheist " members , all it takes is a well worded.  And a constant reminder of . 
Remember folks  ( if you have any doubt what so ever. ) 
Aquite. 

Buttttt then .  If you know or If you are told.  
Aquite  "  means "  , ( " not guilty "  ) . 
If this gets drilled into you.
Then. Atheists instantly become BRILLIANT jurors.

To " get around "  religious persons in a jury.  Just say the complainant try to make you perfome homosexual acts on you. 

Religious jury member would be way way way worse then any other  " type "  hey? 

What im trying to say is. 
  ☆☆☆ 《Athias 》 ☆☆☆ 
Sorry pal , butttt.
( i believe  )  You'd suck big time as a jury member. 

and there aint no way. 
Crit Tim would ever make the cut. 

Absolute CRAP jurors the pair of yas

No but.  
Do you think you'd make for a "pretty shitty " juror. ?

Do you think you would find it hard to find someone guilty ?  

Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
Do you think that a theory with no proof is illogical, or the certainty of its truth?
It isn't that objectivity is a theory with no proof; objectivity extends an absurd premise--i.e. reality can be observed and rationalized independent of the mind.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
What im trying to say is. 
  ☆☆☆ 《Athias 》 ☆☆☆ 
Sorry pal , butttt.
( i believe  )  You'd suck big time as a jury member. 
I most certainly would. I don't subscribe to guilt being determined by majoritarian consensus. I also subscribe to the presumption of innocent until proven guilty, which is in scarce supply as it concerns Western Law.

b9_ntt
Debates: 2
b9_ntt
-->
@Athias
The mind is dependent on the brain; there is no evidence for a disembodied mind. I think that mind is merely a name for a collection of brain functions, in the same way that digestive system describes the activities of a collection of bodily organs.
The events that happen in the mind are a form of experience like pain or sound. They are real, ephemeral, and private for each subject. Thoughts, recollections, imaginings and such, are a species of feelings. Those things are dependent on brain activity and have no independent existence.
So, given the above, I say that
1) neither past nor future exists. The past is dependent on recollection; the future on imagination. They are useful fictions, like the mind.
2) Mathematics are symbols invented by humans, like language. They are real in the same sense as thoughts and other feelings. Because mathematics can be learned by humans to communicate no matter which language they speak, they are thought (not proven) to be universal. They are very useful.

So how does that which exists (i.e. the "physical") depend on that which allegedly doesn't exist (i.e. the abstract or the immaterial)?
There is no such dependency--the reverse is true. Both exist but the mental depends on the physical. What depends on mathematics is humanity’s conception of the universe, not the universe itself.

. . . provide sufficient controls for their alleged observations of that which is "independent of their minds" and that which isn't.
Observations are independent of one mind, not of all minds. When many minds agree about an observation it is presumed to be real. This is not infallible, but it has worked well as a practical matter.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
It isn't that objectivity is a theory with no proof; objectivity extends an absurd premise--i.e. reality can be observed and rationalized independent of the mind.
I currently accept Solipsism as a logical truth that nothing can be known to exist outside the mind. This is because in order to conceptualize the existence of something or in other words to know it exists it must be conceived within the mind and so in order for you to know something exists it must be within the mind's grasp. The theory of an objective reality mainly depends upon the existence of a reality that is separate from the mind. I would argue that since nothing can be proved to be known to exist outside of what is within the mind, then anything outside the mind is merely a theoretical projection. This is why I view objectivity as a theoretical concept that has pragmatic purposes, while acknowledging it cannot be proven.

I do not believe that the concept of an objective realm implies that a viewer may be able to perceive it objectively. I think it's reasonable to assume that anyone viewing an object must be subjectively experiencing the object. In this way no one can ever experience the reality objectively, but subjectively. Regardless, we can theorize what the world is like separated from our perception by using consensus and non-subjective tools such as thermometers. Evidence of thermometers can prove that there is an objective value to heat but humans experience it subjectively which is why some people prefer warmer or colder weather. The heat is not different for each person but is perceived differently. In essence, every person is a subject within the universe and experiences it subjectively, while the objective realm is a theory of what the world is like independent of perception and is calculated based on empirical evidence. I believe it rational that a quantity is a non-subjective aspect of reality such as the number of marbles in a bag which could be considered an objective aspect of reality. Ultimately, I do not think objectivity extends upon an absurd premise but is the theory of what the world is like independent of perception, which is why I believe it only to be theoretical.
Athias
Athias
-->
@b9_ntt
The mind is dependent on the brain; there is no evidence for a disembodied mind. I think that mind is merely a name for a collection of brain functions, in the same way that digestive system describes the activities of a collection of bodily organs.
How'd you come up with that? Your mind? Even the concept of the brain is subject to the faculties of one's mind.

The events that happen in the mind are a form of experience like pain or sound. They are real, ephemeral, and private for each subject. Thoughts, recollections, imaginings and such, are a species of feelings. Those things are dependent on brain activity and have no independent existence.
Can you provide a sufficient control which establishes a reality you are capable of experiencing independent of your mind?

1) neither past nor future exists. The past is dependent on recollection; the future on imagination. They are useful fictions, like the mind.
Explain how the "existent" interacts with "fiction" without codependency.

2) Mathematics are symbols invented by humans, like language.
Mathematics involve more than just symbols. But your point is taken: Mathematics was created.

They are real in the same sense as thoughts and other feelings.
There are "senses" of reality? Then what is the functional distinction between thoughts, feelings, and other "fictions" and the physical?

Because mathematics can be learned by humans to communicate no matter which language they speak, they are thought (not proven) to be universal.
Mathematics is "universal" because it operates on a consistent logic.

There is no such dependency
Yes there is.

the reverse is true.
No it isn't.

Both exist but the mental depends on the physical. What depends on mathematics is humanity’s conception of the universe, not the universe itself.
Please provide a sufficient control that establishes "the universe itself" independent of humanity's conception.

Observations are independent of one mind, not of all minds.
Irrelevant. Whether it's one mind or many, each experience makes one a subject.

When many minds agree about an observation it is presumed to be real.
Argument ad populum (consensus fallacy.)

This is not infallible, but it has worked well as a practical matter.
It's not practical.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
This is why I view objectivity as a theoretical concept that has pragmatic purposes, while acknowledging it cannot be proven.
What use is the "theory" if independence can never be established?

I think it's reasonable to assume that anyone viewing an object must be subjectively experiencing the object.
Why is that reasonable when objectivity cannot be reasoned outside of absurdity?

In this way no one can ever experience the reality objectively, but subjectively.
What is an "objective reality" if not an absurdity? You just argued--and quite well I might add--that it's impossible to know that which lies independent of the mind, so what reason can objectivity inform? What use is the "theory" of objectivity in epistemology? Does existence have any significance outside of epistemology?

Regardless, we can theorize what the world is like separated from our perception by using consensus and non-subjective tools such as thermometers.
But that is not scientific. That's just an assumption.

In essence, every person is a subject within the universe and experiences it subjectively, while the objective realm is a theory of what the world is like independent of perception and is calculated based on empirical evidence.
Noumena are a Kantian assumption that bears no application in epistemology.

I believe it rational that a quantity is a non-subjective aspect of reality such as the number of marbles in a bag which could be considered an objective aspect of reality.
How are quantities not subjective?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
This is why I view objectivity as a theoretical concept that has pragmatic purposes, while acknowledging it cannot be proven.
What use is the "theory" if independence can never be established?
Being the objective view is the theoretical concept underlying our subjective experiences, by understanding the objective view we can make predictions and better understand our subjective views along with others rather than being completely blindsided to an underlying commonality and being ignorant towards the ability to predict others subjective lens which we obviously can do to a certain extent by using knowledge about the objective world and by viewing other's personalities.

I think it's reasonable to assume that anyone viewing an object must be subjectively experiencing the object.
Why is that reasonable when objectivity cannot be reasoned outside of absurdity?
I believe I understand that your stance is if we can never truly experience the objective reality then what is its intended purpose. The purpose would be to understand the bias in our own emotions and subjective lens and by understanding the underlying theoretical truth we can better interpret and understand the subjective lens of others.

In this way no one can ever experience the reality objectively, but subjectively.
What is an "objective reality" if not an absurdity? You just argued--and quite well I might add--that it's impossible to know that which lies independent of the mind, so what reason can objectivity inform? What use is the "theory" of objectivity in epistemology? Does existence have any significance outside of epistemology?
As I said, I am remarkably familiar with the topic, and I have argued for Solipsism in the past and still do. Nonetheless, I see utility in understanding the underlying theoretical concept behind our subjective views of the world and see we can use this to make predictions and better understand our world. A primary example of this would be the theory of atoms. No one has directly experienced or been able to see an atom since they are far too small. Nonetheless, the theory of atoms has allowed us to invent electromagnetic generators along with new materials and chemical compounds. It is in this way that theories and concepts are crucial to understanding and navigating one's life.

To better explain my stance, I believe subjectively the world only exists within our mind but that objectively the world exists beyond our mind, and I believe both perspectives are simultaneously true and do not conflict each other as they are referring to different lenses of reality.

Regardless, we can theorize what the world is like separated from our perception by using consensus and non-subjective tools such as thermometers.
But that is not scientific. That's just an assumption.
That is an assumption, but it is also an educated assumption which makes it a theory, and as I explained above, I believe that theories and concepts are a crucial aspect of understanding the world.

In essence, every person is a subject within the universe and experiences it subjectively, while the objective realm is a theory of what the world is like independent of perception and is calculated based on empirical evidence.
Noumena are a Kantian assumption that bears no application in epistemology.
That is an elegant quotation, and quite true. For those who aren't familiar with this:

This statement refers to the philosophical concept of "noumena" as introduced by Immanuel Kant, a prominent German philosopher. In Kant's philosophy, he distinguishes between two realms of reality: the noumenal and the phenomenal.
  1. Noumena: This refers to the things-in-themselves, the ultimate reality that exists independently of human perception and cognition. Noumena are things as they are in their true nature, beyond our ability to perceive or fully understand.
  2. Phenomena: This refers to the world as we perceive it through our senses and interpret it through our understanding. Phenomena are the appearances or representations of the noumena that we can access and comprehend through our senses and mental faculties.
The statement suggests that "noumena" is an assumption made by Kant that has limited or no practical application in the field of epistemology. Epistemology is the branch of philosophy that deals with the nature, sources, and limitations of human knowledge and understanding. It seeks to understand how we come to know things and the conditions under which knowledge is possible.

The criticism here is that Kant's idea of noumena, being things that exist beyond our perceptual and cognitive capacities, cannot be known or accessed by humans. Since epistemology deals with knowledge and understanding, concepts that are beyond the reach of human knowledge would have no application in this context. In other words, if noumena cannot be known or understood by humans, then they are not relevant to the study of epistemology, which focuses on the limits and possibilities of human knowledge.

My perspective is that if there exists an underlying structure that permeates all of our subjective views, then by formulating theories about the objective realm, we can gain insight into our subjective perspectives and biases. While I acknowledge that the world cannot be directly experienced in an objective manner, I believe we can theorize about it, and the theory itself can be known and help us understand our subjectivity. Therefore, I see the objective realm as unknowable, but the theory of the objective lens is knowable, as evident in my current conception of it. Ultimately, what we can grasp is not the world in isolation from perception, as it remains unknowable, but rather the shared essence among our subjective experiences—a collective subjective theory (theory of objectivity, not objectivity) that can be known.

I believe it rational that a quantity is a non-subjective aspect of reality such as the number of marbles in a bag which could be considered an objective aspect of reality.
How are quantities not subjective?
Many people agree that quantities are independent of perception because it is consistent among all individuals that the number remains the same. This would make it an attribute of the object and not of the perceiver, which makes it an objective and not a subjective attribute. While beauty may be considered a subjective attribute, I do not consider a numerical quantity to be subjective. Being that it is self-evident to most people and myself that numerical quantities are objective and independent of perception, could you explain why you believe otherwise?

The terms "objective" and "subjective" refer to different ways of understanding and evaluating information or experiences. Here's an explanation of the difference between the two concepts and how they apply to different aspects of our lives:

Objective:
  1. Objective refers to something that exists independently of individual opinions, beliefs, or perspectives.
  2. It is based on measurable and verifiable information that is consistent and replicable across different observers or measurements.
  3. Objective information is not influenced by personal feelings, biases, or interpretations.
Examples of Objective:
  • Empirical Data: Scientific measurements, experiments, and observations that can be objectively verified.
  • Numerical Quantities: Mathematical values such as length, weight, time, etc., that can be precisely measured and expressed.
Subjective:
  1. Subjective relates to individual perspectives, opinions, feelings, and experiences.
  2. It is influenced by personal beliefs, emotions, cultural background, and individual context.
  3. Subjective information can vary from person to person and may not be verifiable in an objective, standardized manner.
Examples of Subjective:
  • Beauty: The perception of beauty varies from person to person and is influenced by cultural norms, personal preferences, and experiences.
  • Value: The value of an object, experience, or idea is subjective and depends on how individuals perceive its worth or importance.
It is essential to recognize that the distinction between objective and subjective is not always clear-cut. Some aspects of life may have elements of both objectivity and subjectivity. For example, while scientific data and measurements are objective, their interpretation and implications can involve subjective judgments.
In many cases, subjective experiences and perspectives are important and valid in understanding human emotions, culture, and individuality. On the other hand, objectivity is crucial for empirical research, making decisions based on evidence, and providing a common ground for shared understanding.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
We can think of the theory of objectivity as a refrigerator. We do not need to understand the inner workings of its entirety to make good use of it. I refrigerate my groceries everyday and I don't have a complete understanding of how it works, yet its helpful to me everyday in my subjective world. Similarly, it may be impossible to comprehend the objective world, as previously stated it is unperceivable, yet this does not render it unless or absurd, but unknown and available for use.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
Being the objective view is the theoretical concept underlying our subjective experiences, by understanding the objective view we can make predictions and better understand our subjective views along with others rather than being completely blindsided to an underlying commonality and being ignorant towards the ability to predict others subjective lens which we obviously can do to a certain extent by using knowledge about the objective world and by viewing other's personalities.
But why would a logical necessity, i.e. subjective experience, have a logical absurdity, i.e. objective experience, underlie it? Why is "commonality" expressed through the proposition of "objectivity" and not the proposition of "logical consistency"?

I believe I understand that your stance is if we can never truly experience the objective reality then what is its intended purpose. The purpose would be to understand the bias in our own emotions and subjective lens and by understanding the underlying theoretical truth we can better interpret and understand the subjective lens of others.
But that in and of itself is a bias. And it's a bit of circular reasoning given that premise and its extension are the same.

As I said, I am remarkably familiar with the topic, and I have argued for Solipsism in the past and still do. Nonetheless, I see utility in understanding the underlying theoretical concept behind our subjective views of the world and see we can use this to make predictions and better understand our world. A primary example of this would be the theory of atoms. No one has directly experienced or been able to see an atom since they are far too small.
The assumption itself is the only "substance" provided for the assumption. And we have seen atoms using electron ptychography if I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Nonetheless, the theory of atoms has allowed us to invent electromagnetic generators along with new materials and chemical compounds. It is in this way that theories and concepts are crucial to understanding and navigating one's life.
But what relevance does that bear to the claim of objectivity? How does the invention of electromagnetic generators as well as new materials and chemical compounds establish independence from the mind?

That is an assumption, but it is also an educated assumption which makes it a theory, and as I explained above, I believe that theories and concepts are a crucial aspect of understanding the world.
An educated assumption would imply knowledge or prediction using experience. What knowledge or experience does anyone have of "objective reality"? The point of objectivity is that it negates knowledge or experience.

This statement refers to the philosophical concept of "noumena" as introduced by Immanuel Kant, a prominent German philosopher. In Kant's philosophy, he distinguishes between two realms of reality: the noumenal and the phenomenal.
  1. Noumena: This refers to the things-in-themselves, the ultimate reality that exists independently of human perception and cognition. Noumena are things as they are in their true nature, beyond our ability to perceive or fully understand.
  2. Phenomena: This refers to the world as we perceive it through our senses and interpret it through our understanding. Phenomena are the appearances or representations of the noumena that we can access and comprehend through our senses and mental faculties.
The statement suggests that "noumena" is an assumption made by Kant that has limited or no practical application in the field of epistemology. Epistemology is the branch of philosophy that deals with the nature, sources, and limitations of human knowledge and understanding. It seeks to understand how we come to know things and the conditions under which knowledge is possible.

The criticism here is that Kant's idea of noumena, being things that exist beyond our perceptual and cognitive capacities, cannot be known or accessed by humans. Since epistemology deals with knowledge and understanding, concepts that are beyond the reach of human knowledge would have no application in this context. In other words, if noumena cannot be known or understood by humans, then they are not relevant to the study of epistemology, which focuses on the limits and possibilities of human knowledge.
Well summarized.

My perspective is that if there exists an underlying structure that permeates all of our subjective views, then by formulating theories about the objective realm, we can gain insight into our subjective perspectives and biases. While I acknowledge that the world cannot be directly experienced in an objective manner, I believe we can theorize about it, and the theory itself can be known and help us understand our subjectivity. Therefore, I see the objective realm as unknowable, but the theory of the objective lens is knowable, as evident in my current conception of it. Ultimately, what we can grasp is not the world in isolation from perception, as it remains unknowable, but rather the shared essence among our subjective experiences—a collective subjective theory (theory of objectivity, not objectivity) that can be known.
But what is the basis for even proposing a theory of objectivity in the first place? Or that the world lies beyond that which we directly experience? The assumption itself. How can that be a theory, or even an educated guess, if that assumption isn't based on any knowledge or experience?

Many people agree that quantities are independent of perception because it is consistent among all individuals that the number remains the same.
Isn't that a perception especially considering that they all "agreed" to it?

This would make it an attribute of the object and not of the perceiver, which makes it an objective and not a subjective attribute.
We'll save this for below.

Being that it is self-evident to most people and myself that numerical quantities are objective and independent of perception, could you explain why you believe otherwise?
Because numbers are but mere abstractions we use to give a form to our experiences. When I've asked for proof of the number, "2," for example, that is, proof of its mass, volume, weight, chemical composition, etc. no one has been able to do so. (Not that I would expect them to provide proof.) When I see two apples on my table, is their existing as two apples independent of my or any observation or merely an expression of a standard of description to which I and others subscribe? Standardization =/= Objectivity; Consistency =/= Objectivity. Logical consistency can be found within subjectivity. In fact, logical consistency can be found ONLY in subjectivity.

Objective:
  1. Objective refers to something that exists independently of individual opinions, beliefs, or perspectives.
  2. It is based on measurable and verifiable information that is consistent and replicable across different observers or measurements.
  3. Objective information is not influenced by personal feelings, biases, or interpretations.
Examples of Objective:
  • Empirical Data: Scientific measurements, experiments, and observations that can be objectively verified.
  • Numerical Quantities: Mathematical values such as length, weight, time, etc., that can be precisely measured and expressed.
Subjective:
  1. Subjective relates to individual perspectives, opinions, feelings, and experiences.
  2. It is influenced by personal beliefs, emotions, cultural background, and individual context.
  3. Subjective information can vary from person to person and may not be verifiable in an objective, standardized manner.
Examples of Subjective:
  • Beauty: The perception of beauty varies from person to person and is influenced by cultural norms, personal preferences, and experiences.
  • Value: The value of an object, experience, or idea is subjective and depends on how individuals perceive its worth or importance.
When I apply the terms objective and subjective, my application is in concordance with their philosophical descriptions, which avoids materialist misconception.

For example, while scientific data and measurements are objective,
They're not.

their interpretation and implications can involve subjective judgments.
Their interpretations and implications ONLY involve subjective judgements.

On the other hand, objectivity is crucial for empirical research, making decisions based on evidence, and providing a common ground for shared understanding.
Your conclusion has operated on a description of objectivity nconsistent with that which was applied before.

Athias
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
We can think of the theory of objectivity as a refrigerator. We do not need to understand the inner workings of its entirety to make good use of it. I refrigerate my groceries everyday and I don't have a complete understanding of how it works, yet its helpful to me everyday in my subjective world. Similarly, it may be impossible to comprehend the objective world, as previously stated it is unperceivable, yet this does not render it unless or absurd, but unknown and available for use.
How can it be put to use if it's "unknowable"?

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
But why would a logical necessity, i.e. subjective experience, have a logical absurdity, i.e. objective experience, underlie it? Why is "commonality" expressed through the proposition of "objectivity" and not the proposition of "logical consistency"?
Do you not notice similarities of subjective experience among various individuals in certain aspects of reality such as quantity consistency? I believe that there is most certainly an underlying commonality among many parts of subjective experience.

I believe I understand that your stance is if we can never truly experience the objective reality then what is its intended purpose. The purpose would be to understand the bias in our own emotions and subjective lens and by understanding the underlying theoretical truth we can better interpret and understand the subjective lens of others.
But that in and of itself is a bias. And it's a bit of circular reasoning given that premise and its extension are the same.
A bias is something a person would prefer due to its benefits for that individual. I don't see how this benefits me specifically. I also don't see the circular reasoning you are abstractly referring to.

As I said, I am remarkably familiar with the topic, and I have argued for Solipsism in the past and still do. Nonetheless, I see utility in understanding the underlying theoretical concept behind our subjective views of the world and see we can use this to make predictions and better understand our world. A primary example of this would be the theory of atoms. No one has directly experienced or been able to see an atom since they are far too small.
The assumption itself is the only "substance" provided for the assumption. And we have seen atoms using electron ptychography if I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong.)
My point remains because we were able to discover new chemicals and create new compounds before we could see the atom.
Second, it's hard to say what qualifies as an image of an atom. I could claim my photograph of the couch is a picture of atoms.
The idea I'm presenting is that we have been able to make much use of theories and concepts in all aspects of science.

Nonetheless, the theory of atoms has allowed us to invent electromagnetic generators along with new materials and chemical compounds. It is in this way that theories and concepts are crucial to understanding and navigating one's life.
But what relevance does that bear to the claim of objectivity? How does the invention of electromagnetic generators as well as new materials and chemical compounds establish independence from the mind?
It doesn't establish a proof of independence of the mind. It establishes a proof that the theory of independence of the mind has much application in our subjective reality. Again, I say it is the "theory of objectivity" that is useful to us, not objective reality as a place.

An educated assumption would imply knowledge or prediction using experience. What knowledge or experience does anyone have of "objective reality"? The point of objectivity is that it negates knowledge or experience.
You are suggesting in order to theorize an objective reality we must experience it. While I see you draw a connection of experience, I believe it's more reasonable that by understanding our many subjective experiences and the underlying commonalities we are able to theorize the ultimate subjective reality or the reality devoid of subjective experience, which is the theory of objective reality, regardless of whether we've experienced directly.

But what is the basis for even proposing a theory of objectivity in the first place? Or that the world lies beyond that which we directly experience? The assumption itself. How can that be a theory, or even an educated guess, if that assumption isn't based on any knowledge or experience?
The basis for proposing a theory of objectivity is its utility. I'm not proposing that there is a world beyond subjectivity. In essence, whether the objective world exists or not is irrelevant since we can never experience it, but the theory of objectivity has served many purposes in our subjective realm. Therefore, out of practicality, I find the theory of objective reality essential to understand.

Many people agree that quantities are independent of perception because it is consistent among all individuals that the number remains the same.
Isn't that a perception, especially considering that they all "agreed" to it?
It's more than merely a perception, it's an underlying consistency, which I believe to be all the evidence we need to theorize an objective reality and better understand our subjective reality.

Being that it is self-evident to most people and myself that numerical quantities are objective and independent of perception, could you explain why you believe otherwise?
Because numbers are but mere abstractions we use to give a form to our experiences. When I've asked for proof of the number, "2," for example, that is, proof of its mass, volume, weight, chemical composition, etc. no one has been able to do so. (Not that I would expect them to provide proof.) When I see two apples on my table, is their existing as two apples independent of my or any observation or merely an expression of a standard of description to which I and others subscribe? Standardization =/= Objectivity; Consistency =/= Objectivity. Logical consistency can be found within subjectivity. In fact, logical consistency can be found ONLY in subjectivity.
It seems to me that you are suggesting that numbers and empirical evidence are merely perceptions of individuals, I am in agreement. However, it is not the point. I'm trying to explain that the underlying consistency among subjectivity can be better understood by using the theory of objectivity. I do not claim it to be a real place or something that can be experienced since by definition objectivity cannot be experienced, but that the theory can be utilized to benefit ourselves. Therefore, it is not an absurdity, but a utility.

When I apply the terms objective and subjective, my application is in concordance with their philosophical descriptions, which avoids materialist misconception.
I too understand objectivity and subjectivity based on their philosophical descriptions. Would you explain what materialist misconception you are trying to avoid?

For example, while scientific data and measurements are objective,
They're not.
They are commonly accepted to be, and without a sufficient explanation besides "They're not," you are hardly convincing me.

their interpretation and implications can involve subjective judgments.
Their interpretations and implications ONLY involve subjective judgements.
Yes, the judgements of individuals are made subjectively.

On the other hand, objectivity is crucial for empirical research, making decisions based on evidence, and providing a common ground for shared understanding.
Your conclusion has operated on a description of objectivity inconsistent with that which was applied before.
Then let me rephrase myself so you may follow. "The theory of objectivity is a crucial aspect of reality to understand." Since people are incapable of experiencing a world devoid of experience such as an objective reality it is merely theoretical and henceforth why objectivity is referred to as a theory. Thus, when I say objectivity is a crucial aspect of reality to understand I am referring to the theory since there is nothing more than the theory to understand.

How can it be put to use if it's "unknowable"?
I cannot know for certain if a meteor with strike my home, yet I make the assumption it will not. Simultaneously, while being uncertain since I don't know, I continue to make decisions based on the meteor not striking, such as going home every day. Every time anyone goes to their home, they are acting on the unknown presumption a meteor will not strike. I consider this to be evidence that we can act upon the unknown.

Secondly, I am referring to utilizing something we cannot conceptualize in our mind through theoretical representation, similar to the multiverse. I may not fully understand how a car, fridge, phone, or laptop work, yet I put them to use daily. Similarly, the objective theory of the world cannot every be understood or experienced, yet we can utilize the theory in many ways since it is meant to be the underlying concept of subjective reality, bettering our understanding of others.

Why is it you think someone may disagree on their favorite movie or song than another individual, is one lying? Only once they understand that perception is subjective can they understand they may both be correct, since the attribute is not of the object but the subject.