What exists? (No seriously.)

Author: Math_Enthusiast

Total: 63
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Critical-Tim
Do you not notice similarities of subjective experience among various individuals in certain aspects of reality such as quantity consistency?
Consensus =/= Objectivity; mass subscription to a standard =/= Objectivity; consistency =/= objectivity.

A bias is something a person would prefer due to its benefits for that individual. I don't see how this benefits me specifically. I also don't see the circular reasoning you are abstractly referring to.
The bias of which I speak is necessarily present in your impression of an underlying commonality which you have suggested informs the theory of objectivity. Because your formulations, your observations, your calculations will always be subject to your experience, your theory is in and of itself biased--its benefit to you notwithstanding. Your reasoning is circular because the premise of your assumption is your assumption.

My point remains because we were able to discover new chemicals and create new compounds before we could see the atom.
How does "discovery" escape bias?

Second, it's hard to say what qualifies as an image of an atom. I could claim my photograph of the couch is a picture of atoms.
This informs my point: that which qualifies as an image of an atom is subject to the standard one accepts; the proposition that it exists as such independent of observation or perspective is irrelevant.

The idea I'm presenting is that we have been able to make much use of theories and concepts in all aspects of science.
My dispute is not against theories in general; my dispute is against the affirmation of objectivity.

It doesn't establish a proof of independence of the mind.
Then it cannot be "objective."

It establishes a proof that the theory of independence of the mind has much application in our subjective reality. Again, I say it is the "theory of objectivity" that is useful to us, not objective reality as a place.
Then perhaps "objectivity" is not the appropriate term to apply to this theory.

You are suggesting in order to theorize an objective reality we must experience it. While I see you draw a connection of experience, I believe it's more reasonable that by understanding our many subjective experiences and the underlying commonalities we are able to theorize the ultimate subjective reality or the reality devoid of subjective experience, which is the theory of objective reality, regardless of whether we've experienced directly.
What does theorizing the ultimate subjective reality have to do with theorizing an objective reality? Why does underlying commonality lead you to assume or theorize objectivity?

The basis for proposing a theory of objectivity is its utility. I'm not proposing that there is a world beyond subjectivity. In essence, whether the objective world exists or not is irrelevant since we can never experience it, but the theory of objectivity has served many purposes in our subjective realm. Therefore, out of practicality, I find the theory of objective reality essential to understand.

It's more than merely a perception,
How?

it's an underlying consistency,
How does underlying consistency = beyond perception?

It seems to me that you are suggesting that numbers and empirical evidence are merely perceptions of individuals, I am in agreement.
I don't do "seem." (Seem is not an argument.) I am stating as much.

However, it is not the point. I'm trying to explain that the underlying consistency among subjectivity can be better understood by using the theory of objectivity. I do not claim it to be a real place or something that can be experienced since by definition objectivity cannot be experienced, but that the theory can be utilized to benefit ourselves.

Would you explain what materialist misconception you are trying to avoid?
The misconception of which I speak is that objectivity can be determined by materialist standards, i.e. analysis and expressions of physical concepts.

They are commonly accepted to be,
Consensus =/= objectivity.

and without a sufficient explanation besides "They're not," you are hardly convincing me.
Empiricism is necessarily subjective; therefore empirical data is necessarily subjective. I assumed you knew this, which explains my lack of a sufficient explanation.

Then let me rephrase myself so you may follow. "The theory of objectivity is a crucial aspect of reality to understand." Since people are incapable of experiencing a world devoid of experience such as an objective reality it is merely theoretical and henceforth why objectivity is referred to as a theory. Thus, when I say objectivity is a crucial aspect of reality to understand I am referring to the theory since there is nothing more than the theory to understand.
The misconception of which I speak is that objectivity can be determined by materialist standards, i.e. analysis and expressions of physical concepts.

I cannot know for certain if a meteor with strike my home, yet I make the assumption it will not.
But you've experienced meteors. Not necessarily being hit by one, but seeing how they're described, and gauging the likelihood one would hit your home at random. This is not the same for claims of objectivity, which is absolutely devoid experience or observation. Anything you state which intends to inform objectivity will only be a projection of your own bias.

Simultaneously, while being uncertain since I don''st know,
There's a difference between "not knowing" and being "incapable of knowing."

Every time anyone goes to their home, they are acting on the unknown presumption a meteor will not strike. I consider this to be evidence that we can act upon the unknown.
Except it isn't an unknown. If it were an unknown, you wouldn't know what a meteor was. In which case, your taking the chances of a meteor striking your home into consideration would be inapplicable.

Secondly, I am referring to utilizing something we cannot conceptualize in our mind through theoretical representation,
And how does this escape bias?

I may not fully understand how a car, fridge, phone, or laptop work, yet I put them to use daily
It's not the same.

Similarly, the objective theory of the world cannot every be understood or experienced, yet we can utilize the theory in many ways since it is meant to be the underlying concept of subjective reality, bettering our understanding of others.
Why is that which we can never understand or experience the underlying concept for that which we do understand and experience? That isn't a sound proposition.

Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
Do you not notice similarities of subjective experience among various individuals in certain aspects of reality such as quantity consistency?
Consensus =/= Objectivity; mass subscription to a standard =/= Objectivity; consistency =/= objectivity.
I don't believe this answers my question, nor do you support your ideas validity.

A bias is something a person would prefer due to its benefits for that individual. I don't see how this benefits me specifically. I also don't see the circular reasoning you are abstractly referring to.
The bias of which I speak is necessarily present in your impression of an underlying commonality which you have suggested informs the theory of objectivity. Because your formulations, your observations, your calculations will always be subject to your experience, your theory is in and of itself biased--its benefit to you notwithstanding. Your reasoning is circular because the premise of your assumption is your assumption.
Why do you believe I'm biased towards an underlying commonality? Perhaps I don't care for the idea of an underlying commonality but still believe it is true. In this case I would not be a biased belief, but an impartial one. Just because someone believes something to be true doesn't mean they are biased. One may believe in Nihilism; this doesn't mean they like the idea. 

My point remains because we were able to discover new chemicals and create new compounds before we could see the atom.
How does "discovery" escape bias?
I don't see how your question relates to the quoted text, nor do you acknowledge that this was made possible through the theory of an underlying consistency.
How would it be possible to live in a universe where anything makes sense if it were not consistent?
I don't claim discovery escapes bias, they are independent concepts that are not affiliated. One discovery could be biased, while another not.

Second, it's hard to say what qualifies as an image of an atom. I could claim my photograph of the couch is a picture of atoms.
This informs my point: that which qualifies as an image of an atom is subject to the standard one accepts; the proposition that it exists as such independent of observation or perspective is irrelevant.
My point holds true, without having a standard for what measures truth we cannot know what reference to judge. If one person thinks gravity goes up it is not helpful to build a home, I definitely wouldn't hire that engineer. What is helpful is the theory of an independent consitency. I suppose one could think of the theory of objectivity as subjective since it's a metaphysical concept and thus must have a subject to conceive it.

The idea I'm presenting is that we have been able to make much use of theories and concepts in all aspects of science.
My dispute is not against theories in general; my dispute is against the affirmation of objectivity.
I agree, I have said before I don't claim that objectivity exists or not but that it is irrelevant; only out of practicality of understanding our subjective world do I claim the theory of objectivity to be useful. Not confirmed.

It doesn't establish a proof of independence of the mind.
Then it cannot be "objective."
I don't understand why something that isn't establishing proof of independence cannot be objective. Perhaps you mean by not establishing proof there can be no proof. You are saying, because we have no proof, it is proof it does not exist, I don't agree at all. Instead, I view the absence of proof as what it is an absence of proof, it does not support or destroy the idea. Nonetheless, the theory's utility is why I value it, not because I'm certain of an objective world.

It establishes a proof that the theory of independence of the mind has much application in our subjective reality. Again, I say it is the "theory of objectivity" that is useful to us, not objective reality as a place.
Perhaps this is true, I will be more definitive. Objectivity is an attribute of an object whereas subjectivity is an attribute of the subject perceiving the object.
I believe it is the theory of certain attributes associating with an object independent of perception is useful within our subjective reality.

You are suggesting in order to theorize an objective reality we must experience it. While I see you draw a connection of experience, I believe it's more reasonable that by understanding our many subjective experiences and the underlying commonalities we are able to theorize the ultimate subjective reality or the reality devoid of subjective experience, which is the theory of objective reality, regardless of whether we've experienced directly.
What does theorizing the ultimate subjective reality have to do with theorizing an objective reality? Why does underlying commonality lead you to assume or theorize objectivity?
Objective reality is the theory of a reality where certain attributes are associated with an object independent of subjective perspective. We can never experience an objective reality because in order to experience it we must perceive it. Nonetheless, we can theorize it by the commonalities among our subjective perspectives. I would consider the underlying commonality among all subjective perspectives to be the ultimate subjective reality. If there isn't objective reality independent of subjective perception, there would be certain aspects that are common between all perspectives. This is why I believe the ultimate subjective reality to be the underlying commonality between all individual subjective realities which I believe to be objective reality which is independent of perception.

Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Athias
The basis for proposing a theory of objectivity is its utility. I'm not proposing that there is a world beyond subjectivity. In essence, whether the objective world exists or not is irrelevant since we can never experience it, but the theory of objectivity has served many purposes in our subjective realm. Therefore, out of practicality, I find the theory of objective reality essential to understand.
However, it is not the point. I'm trying to explain that the underlying consistency among subjectivity can be better understood by using the theory of objectivity. I do not claim it to be a real place or something that can be experienced since by definition objectivity cannot be experienced, but that the theory can be utilized to benefit ourselves.
Why do you believe not? After all, it is the theory of a standard that is independent of individual perception.

It's more than merely a perception,
How?
Because an individual's perception may be different than everyone else's. If you do not understand something, and someone can explain it to you, does that mean the other person had a different perspective than you, and they were right, and you were wrong? I view this as evidence that not every perspective is able to predict and determine the world which I believe to be the most essential aspect of perception to be in with. From a darwinian perspective our perception of the world is evolved in a way that we can better understand and manipulate reality to our advantage and be more successful in life.

it's an underlying consistency,
How does underlying consistency = beyond perception?
It doesn't necessarily, but it could be. Nonetheless, the theory captures the essence of the idea and for all intents and purposes is correctly able to understand and manipulate the world better than any individual perspective. If you're familiar with mathematics, you can think of reality as a complex graph equation. What we know of the world is a set of data points on the graph. Many different equations can pass through all of the data points on the graph. There is only one equation that matches what reality is and that is the equation of reality. Therefore, it is possible to create various logical and probable theories about reality that capture what we know about it correctly but the odds we completely understand reality is almost infinitely improbable. Nonetheless, if we are only concerned with what we have decided to consider as a data point then the theory has the purpose of predicting the set of data points we have chosen. This is why it has utility, It is meant to capture the essence of what we consider to be important.

It seems to me that you are suggesting that numbers and empirical evidence are merely perceptions of individuals, I am in agreement.
I don't do "seem." (Seem is not an argument.) I am stating as much.
I thought your whole argument was that there is nothing objective and therefore everything is subjective in a perception which would be something that seems to be correct to the individual that is perceiving it? Why do you not think that everything that you believe is what you seem to be correct?

Would you explain what materialist misconception you are trying to avoid?
I see, I suppose my stance is more of a naturalist.

They are commonly accepted to be,
Consensus =/= objectivity.
Are you familiar with the international metric standard? It is considered to be an objective fact by many, and it was most definitely consensus or majority vote.

and without a sufficient explanation besides "They're not," you are hardly convincing me.
Empiricism is necessarily subjective; therefore empirical data is necessarily subjective. I assumed you knew this, which explains my lack of a sufficient explanation.
I believe empiricism is a subjective standard. I attempt not to assume someone who disagrees with my position would agree with all of my prerequisites for that position, it seems nonsensical. 

I cannot know for certain if a meteor with strike my home, yet I make the assumption it will not.
But you've experienced meteors. Not necessarily being hit by one, but seeing how they're described, and gauging the likelihood one would hit your home at random. This is not the same for claims of objectivity, which is absolutely devoid experience or observation. Anything you state which intends to inform objectivity will only be a projection of your own bias.
You keep using bias in a context that it would support one's idea when it is not meant to be. Bias is something that a person desires to believe or would desire for personal benefit. A person may believe or receive something that is not to their liking and therefore it would not be inherently biased to receive or believe anything.

Simultaneously, while being uncertain since I don't know,
There's a difference between "not knowing" and being "incapable of knowing."
There is a difference between knowing blackholes exist and being incapable of experiencing them. You seem to believe that incapable of experiencing is incapable of knowing, I believe that nothing can be known for certain but merely it is our best representation of reality. I also believe in the possibility of there being an objective reality and the theory seems to rigidify it without proving it.

Every time anyone goes to their home, they are acting on the unknown presumption a meteor will not strike. I consider this to be evidence that we can act upon the unknown.
Except it isn't an unknown. If it were an unknown, you wouldn't know what a meteor was. In which case, your taking the chances of a meteor striking your home into consideration would be inapplicable.
I was talking about the strike not the meteor's existence.

Secondly, I am referring to utilizing something we cannot conceptualize in our mind through theoretical representation,
And how does this escape bias?
I suppose you don't believe in anything that can't be experienced. What are your thoughts on the multiverse?

I may not fully understand how a car, fridge, phone, or laptop work, yet I put them to use daily
It's not the same.
Of course it's not the same, a fridge is an objective reality. My point is things that we cannot comprehend are still usable.

Similarly, the objective theory of the world cannot every be understood or experienced, yet we can utilize the theory in many ways since it is meant to be the underlying concept of subjective reality, bettering our understanding of others.
Why is that which we can never understand or experience the underlying concept for that which we do understand and experience? That isn't a sound proposition.
Because we can never experience that which cannot be experienced, objectivity.

------------------------------------------------------------

I have a hard time understanding my past quotes in such short snippets. I would appreciate a bit more context on some of the quotes, thanks.

I neither claim the existence or non-existence of an objective reality, but that the theory of objective reality is purposeful.