Let’s face it, MAGA voters are stupid

Author: IwantRooseveltagain

Total: 234
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
No one who "believed" the story gave a rats ass whether the agents were carrying whips, split reins, or oversized Twizzlers.
Absurd, dismissed.
I accept your concession.

We do not assume fraud at the outset.
Then you must believe Stalin was elected with an overwhelming majority.
Key words: "at the outset"

Do you believe that our election system is comparable to Stalin's Russia? Yes or No?

The idea that we should require the same standards to accept a ballot as we would evidence in court is patently absurd. Our entire democratic system would collapse.
...and yet that is precisely what many laws implied was necessary.
I was talking about each individual ballot. But your point is taken. So now... Can you please explain, since the standards here are so high, what the problem is?

What is relevant is only this: You claim to submit to the authority of democracy, so does the opposing tribe. The obvious choice going forward is catering to the most paranoid until the overwhelming majority once again believe they are living in a democracy.
Wrong. You do not cater to the paranoid, you cater to reality. That requires adhering to facts, logic, and following the very laws and systems designed to ensure an accurate result.

The solution to our problems as a society is not to allow the paranoid to dictate how society will operate. That's ridiculous. Furthermore, there is no reason to believe the paranoid are acting in good faith, so catering to them would be futile even if your premise was accepted.

The most likely reason to resist adoption of secure systems going forward is the knowledge of and consent to fraud and that is exactly how it will be taken.
No one is resisting secure elections, that's hoarseshit. We have one side claiming without any evidence that there is fraud, and the other side correctly pointing out that the burden of proof is on the side claiming fraud.

Our elections contain multiple safeguards as you already acknowledged. And while any individual ballot can be fraudulent, if fraud were anywhere near as rampant as would be needed to swing our elections there would be evidence of it. We would have confirmed cases of dead people voting in the tens of thousands, not just internet conspiracy theories. We would have thousands of people showing up as having cast a ballot in multiple states, not just internet conspiracy theories. The counts would not make sense, yet they do. We have every logical reason to accept that the system works and no reason to reject it.

Refusing to cater to those who don't know what they are talking about is not evidence of consent to fraud no matter how fervently you convince yourself otherwise.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
We do not assume fraud at the outset.
Then you must believe Stalin was elected with an overwhelming majority.
Key words: "at the outset"
Oh, what convinced you? What was that key piece of evidence that finally proved fraud?

Did they turn over all their ballots for your inspection? Did you verify signatures?

Could it perhaps be something a bit more simple: The propagandist you trust told you it was rigged?

Do you believe that our election system is comparable to Stalin's Russia? Yes or No?
Everything is comparable, as for similarity: getting there

The idea that we should require the same standards to accept a ballot as we would evidence in court is patently absurd. Our entire democratic system would collapse.
...and yet that is precisely what many laws implied was necessary.
I was talking about each individual ballot.
If they were stored or transported individually they would have to be accounted for in the same way.

But your point is taken. So now... Can you please explain, since the standards here are so high, what the problem is?
The standards set by law were high. New laws with lower standards or new policies which circumvented the old carefully thought out safeguards were used for the 2020 "election". In the worst cases the law was violated with the help of friendly lawsuits or mere fiat. Hence the use of the past tense.

What is relevant is only this: You claim to submit to the authority of democracy, so does the opposing tribe. The obvious choice going forward is catering to the most paranoid until the overwhelming majority once again believe they are living in a democracy.
Wrong. You do not cater to the paranoid, you cater to reality.
Reality is that if a rational person can doubt the accuracy of an election it is not a democracy, or at least not one that will last for long.

That's ridiculous. Furthermore, there is no reason to believe the paranoid are acting in good faith, so catering to them would be futile even if your premise was accepted.
It doesn't matter. If there are 30 million people in this country who are trying to secede and using the claim of election fraud for their excuse while election fraud is entirely plausible then the only way to expose them as liars is to secure the system.

The most likely reason to resist adoption of secure systems going forward is the knowledge of and consent to fraud and that is exactly how it will be taken.
No one is resisting secure elections, that's hoarseshit.
Good, then next time you have a political discussion with someone in real life or online you'll say "biometric blockchain voting" as your #1 issue.

After all, it's the only way to save the republic and none of the other issues are going to matter much in a civil war.

We have one side claiming without any evidence that there is fraud
There is plenty of evidence. Undeniable evidence that the system is secure (which is sufficient) and circumstantial evidence that fraudulent ballots were cast. Since the system was insecure circumstantial evidence is the only evidence that would exist. It is the side claiming the election was illegitimate that has more evidence than they need to make such a claim.

the other side correctly pointing out that the burden of proof is on the side claiming fraud.
That's not correct it's treasonous. The burden is on the state, and it should be met automatically and unfailingly.

Our elections contain multiple safeguards as you already acknowledged.
Some consider having a complicated password to be a safeguard but it turns out to be completely irrelevant to avoid dictionary words or birthdays if you write it down on a stick note and affix it to the monitor.

if fraud were anywhere near as rampant as would be needed to swing our elections there would be evidence of it
There is, the left-tribe and the normies simply refuse to use statistics to estimate the scale.

We would have confirmed cases of dead people voting in the tens of thousands
There were lists thousands long. I have never seen those lists debunked, rather the public APIs which allowed those lists to be compiled were shut down (for some reason mmm). Search engines suppressed results leading to those lists.

The lists were scanned by both sides. A few living people were found, false positives. A few dead people were found (death certificates confirmed by address) confirming that the lists were not entirely false.

Since the data source has been cut off further investigations are impossible. Such seditious conspiracies against democracy as that which resulted in the data being cut off constitute a third category of evidence.

The counts would not make sense, yet they do.
There were numerous statistical anomalies and near contradictory turn out percentages. Explain what you mean.

We have every logical reason to accept that the system works and no reason to reject it.
You have precisely one reason: Trust

I am the one with multiple reasons to doubt, and that is because I understand how the system works.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@cristo71
Back to where it started then. My original claim of a media false claim:

“9. ICE whipping migrants”

Your response:

There were instances of this. How heavily it was reported compared to how often it was happening I don't know.
Since then, it has just been backpedaling and goalpost adjustment attempts on your part rather than good faith retraction.
I stated in plain English that I accept no migrants were whipped. You apparently didn't accept it because you didn't like the tone. That's your problem, not mine.

The conversation actually began when IWR asked you for examples of major stories that "turned out to be false". Rather than question whether he was seriously implying that main stream media is never wrong about anything, an obviously ridiculous claim, you decided to pounce on the techinal victory by setting out to prove some stories can on fact be wrong.

I pointed out Roosevelt's response to you about those stories not being lies to make the point that we are having two different conversations. What IWR and myself were both defending was that notion that main stream media outlets exercise journalistic integrity when reporting as compared to their right wing propaganda counterparts like News Max or OANN. That would have been a conversation actually worth having.

But you had your victory points, so congratulations.

So no, I'm not backpedaling, I'm defending the same position I began the conversation with, which had absolutely nothing to do with whether the agents used whips or split reins, nor did it even have anything to do with whether the agents tools actually made contact with the migrants bodies. My position was about journalistic integrity. If you care to have that conversation then feel free to reply. Otherwise I couldn't care less about your little gotcha scorecard, especially coming from someone who loves to pretend I'm the one who is intellectually dishonest and not intellectually curious.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Double_R
That is a field of strawmen there. It might not even be an exaggeration to say that the sophists of yore could have learned a thing or two from your posts here. They display a cunning at shifting the frame and original basis of a discussion which deserve a tribute of sorts. So here it is, a distilled, only slightly humorized summary of this discussion along with supporting source posts:

Me: One particularly glaring example of media being on the wrong side of a story is the “Border patrol whips migrants” headline. Clearly, media outlets were invoking the “white slave driver whipping black slaves” historical imagery to great emotional effect with this, even triggering the Biden administration to demand an investigation, but it was merely provocative sensationalism as opposed to good, truthful reporting.

You: There were instances of border agents whipping migrants.

Me: Really?? How can you claim this? I can even supply an article debunking the claim.

https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/9760-lets-face-it-maga-voters-are-stupid?page=4&post_number=93

https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/9760-lets-face-it-maga-voters-are-stupid?page=5&post_number=145

You: Well, one can see how a rational observer would come to this conclusion initially. I mean, there were border agents armed with whips and threatening to whip migrants. One can even observe how a migrant’s head snapped back, and he stumbled after possibly being struck by a whip, or at least from trying to avoid getting whipped. He may even have sustained whiplash.

But I see that ICE later investigated itself and has cleared itself of any whipping. Honest debater that I am, unlike *ahem* some people, I can accept these findings.

https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/9760-lets-face-it-maga-voters-are-stupid?page=4&post_number=102

Me: So… what makes you think there were actual whips involved?

You: I’m not answering your obviously loaded, “gotcha” question, Mr. “You who projects all his own flaws and trickery onto me.” As I clearly said to another poster, the point is, and always has been, that the border agents comported themselves poorly! What strap or whip or even candy rope they may or may not have had matters not one iota. Like… Dur!!

https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/9760-lets-face-it-maga-voters-are-stupid?page=5&post_number=144

https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/9760-lets-face-it-maga-voters-are-stupid?page=5&post_number=148

Me: https://youtu.be/HNy--_r5eW0?si=fAYAZCGBxZhq7vtW

Get yourself your own show on MSNBC prime time already!
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
That is a field of strawmen there.

What is it about the word “strawman” and the conservatives on DART? I’m 57 and I’ve heard Strawman more times here in the last 12 months than my entire life.

Is this some kind of conservative magic force field to just reply Strawman every time they get in an argument?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@cristo71
"To whip or not to whip, that is the question.
When ICE and MSNBC meet, a simple suggestion,
Whether 'tis nobler to spin and lie,
Or seek veracity, no super PAC can buy.

To whip—to force with stringent might,
To guard the borders, keep them tight,
And by opposing, end them? To whip, to seize,
No more; and by a sweep, to say we cease!

To whip—to whip! Perhaps to dream, aye, there's the hitch,
For in that lie of whip, what fears may twitch,
When we have shuffled off these moral claims,
Must give us pause—no honor in such aims.

For who would bear the cries and anguished pleas,
The families torn apart, the refugees?
The brave and just, with hearts so pure,
They choose fake news to watch for sure.

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution may fall
To give way to understanding's fairer excuse,
For enterprises of fake compassion news.

And thus, with open arms, we welcome near,
The tired, the hungry, those seeking refuge here,
With empathy and grace, we make our stand,
Create false whips no more, but extend a helping hand."

-Whipster Spinspeare.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Greyparrot
Boy, ya gotta hand it to Spinspeare. He was smart as a whip!

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
We have every logical reason to accept that the system works and no reason to reject it.
You have precisely one reason: Trust

There were lists thousands long.
So to be clear, when I trust qualified experts and people who are speaking from positions of trust in which the words they speak could end their careers or land them in jail... I'm being a mindless sheep.

But when you trust internet conspiracy theorists compiling data from their moms basement... That means you are thinking for yourself.

Again, you haven't done any of the research yourself. You didn't go out and interview anyone, you didn't hold up the ballots to the light or search them for traces of bamboo. You are just sitting there from your phone or PC just like every one of us relying on your own ability to put 2 and 2 together, and every piece of data you are using to reach your conclusions came from someone else - that you trust.

So you're worldview comes from those you trust just like everyone else, the difference is that you seem to think you are better than everyone because you trust people who don't know what they're talking about rather than those who do, or because you think it's fashionable to just reject all knowledge altogether. There's nothing rational about that.

If we're really trying to make progress the next natural step in this conversation would be to discuss things like what makes someone credible, but you have disregarded that conversation every time it's come up. I am curious as to why.

I have never seen those lists debunked
Yes you have, you just hand waive them away every time because they are not trustworthy to you since no one is unless they're reporting from their moms basement.

Here's just one example you will claim is meaningless. I could provide literally hundreds more but that would be a monumental waste of time as you've already demonstrated:

We have one side claiming without any evidence that there is fraud
There is plenty of evidence. Undeniable evidence that the system is secure (which is sufficient) and circumstantial evidence that fraudulent ballots were cast. Since the system was insecure circumstantial evidence is the only evidence that would exist.
The possibility of fraud is not sufficient for anything, and your circumstantial evidence had all been debunked.

Do you have any examples you'd like to provide?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Could it perhaps be something a bit more simple: The propagandist you trust told you it was rigged?
BTW... You never did answer my question; do you believe the elections in Stalin's Russia were legitimate? YES or NO?
cristo71
cristo71
“It doesn’t matter if a Cracker has a whip or horse reins? Who in the world said that?”

-Kunta Kinte
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@cristo71
"But, soft! what Crack through yonder border breaks?
It is the fake news, and ICE is the victim.
Arise, fair Cristo, and kill the envious lies,
Who are already sick and pale with fake news,
That thou her maid art far more honest than they:
Is not the whip as painful by any other name—
So whip would hurt just as bad."

What's in a name? that which we call a whip?
By any other name would hurt as much;

-Whipster Spinspeare.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Greyparrot
The point is that it isn’t about the tool; it’s about how it is wielded. (That’s what she said)
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@cristo71
You say whip, I say reins,
You say whipping, I say crowd controlling;
Let's call the whole thing off!
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Greyparrot
You… are not saying “whip” correctly!!

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@cristo71
You keep using this word whip....
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
There were lists thousands long.
So to be clear, when I trust qualified experts and people who are speaking from positions of trust in which the words they speak could end their careers or land them in jail... I'm being a mindless sheep.
You're right that the words they speak could land them in jail, if they had doubts and voiced them they might be in Big Fani's (or similar) sights right now.

What makes you a sheep is that you wait for CNN to tell you who the experts are, that you assume anyone who makes it into government is an expert (unless they're too loyal to Trump), and that you suddenly lose all your worldy savy when contemplating the motivations people might have to go along with state propaganda regardless of the facts. I know you have the ability because you were able to comprehend that Shokin might have personal motivations for making a claim.

But when you trust internet conspiracy theorists compiling data from their moms basement... That means you are thinking for yourself.
Compiling from county level public APIs that can be spot checked (which I did)... Yes.

Again, you haven't done any of the research yourself.
I did enough to confirm the technique and confirm some examples.

You didn't go out and interview anyone
I sort of did, I was an election judge to meet the people involved and interface with the voters.

you didn't hold up the ballots to the light or search them for traces of bamboo
The ballots are real, the fraud is that the same people fill out multiple ballots. That's why printing enough for everyone on the voter registry and sending them out blindly helps fraud.

You are just sitting there from your phone or PC just like every one of us relying on your own ability to put 2 and 2 together, and every piece of data you are using to reach your conclusions came from someone else - that you trust.
Except that if the data sources I used were untrustworthy (Google maps, cameras, county APIs, court discovery, testimony of election officials), I'm still right.

If I were to move on to areas requiring trust I 2000 mules comes in.

So you're worldview comes from those you trust just like everyone else, the difference is that you seem to think you are better than everyone because you trust people who don't know what they're talking about rather than those who do,
Begging the question aren't you? If the sources I trusted (hypothetically) didn't know what they were talking about in my opinion I wouldn't really trust them. Rather it's that you trust your sources and I trust mine. There is no way to resolve the issue. This is what appeals to authority always come to, that's why I don't use them; or at least I don't use them as anything but correlated evidence.

or because you think it's fashionable to just reject all knowledge altogether.
That's just pure strawman.

If we're really trying to make progress the next natural step in this conversation would be to discuss things like what makes someone credible, but you have disregarded that conversation every time it's come up. I am curious as to why.
Is this a joke? Have I not ranted not less than five times at great length on this site about this very issue?

The only measure of credibility is rational confirmation (looking at the argument). Rational confirmation renders authority irrelevant. Authority/credibility is only relevant when a large number of assertions can be confirmed but not the particular one in question.

So if weathermen predict the weather accurately (within certain margins of error) for the past 300 days, but it's too complicated to understand their science; there is utility in trusting them about tomorrow.

If however, you went on a debate site being clueless about the science of weather and you tried to argue you would fail because debate is where proxies are insufficient and true reasoning belongs.

If you want to talk about the credibility of the government by past objectively verified correctness in the midst of controversy, weathermen will seem prophets by comparison.

I have never seen those lists debunked
Yes you have
lol, what did you say "I accept your concession"

Here's just one example you will claim is meaningless. I could provide literally hundreds more but that would be a monumental waste of time as you've already demonstrated:
Honestly, this example couldn't have been more on point seeing as we were just discussing how the propagandist indoctrinate sheep like yourself. How you refuse to see the pattern. How you continue to trust even as example after example is debunked. "Oh I never said there was whipping, nobody cared if there was whipping" ROFL! That's why the headlines were "migrants whipped" right?

So, once again: they put the lie in the headline, they put the propaganda in the first couple paragraphs, and then; to cover their ass they put the facts at the end (where no sheep read to), but hey not everyone does that anymore either.

In one case, a 74-year-old widow submitted an absentee ballot on behalf of her husband, William Nelson, after he died in September 2020.

“He was going to vote Republican, and she said, ‘Well, I’m going to cancel your ballot because I’m voting Democrat.’ It was kind of a joke between them,” Barry Bishop, an attorney for Sharon Nelson of Canton, told the State Election Board. “She received the absentee ballot and carried out his wishes. ... She now realizes that was not the thing to do.”

Georgia election officials said there need to be consequences, even for a mistake.
So... William Nelson died before the election. He was a dead voter. Dead voter confirmed...

In another case, a ballot was submitted for deceased Augusta voter Leon Rowe. Investigators found that the signature on his absentee ballot envelope matched the handwriting of his mother, Alline Rowe, who died in October 2020.
Dead voter confirmed.... fraud confirmed....

Earlier in the year, the State Election Board found evidence that Sherry Cook of Trion had submitted an absentee ballot for her husband, Donald Cook, who died several months before the election.
Dead voter confirmed...

Cook told investigators that she and her daughter had returned the ballot after Donald Cook signed it before he died, but investigators said that was impossible because the ballot wasn’t issued until after his death.
Fraud confirmed...

The board also moved forward with a case in which the widow of Herman Robert Jackson of Covington, Glynda Jackson, told investigators she filled out his ballot because she knew how he wanted to vote.
Dead voter confirmed.... fraud confirmed....

“What I tell people is what really happened in Georgia, because we proved that none of that was what happened,” Raffensperger said.
"Trust me"

Previously, the Trump campaign had cited the vote of James Blalock of Covington, who had died in 2006, as evidence of fraud. His widow, whose legal name is Mrs. James Blalock, confirmed that she voted, not her deceased husband.
1 false positive, that's all you need to know about sheep; move along.

Next, the attorney general’s office will further investigate the cases of ballots cast in the names of deceased voters.
... but I thought "we" proved that none of that was what happened already?

[Double_R] The possibility of fraud is not sufficient for anything
vs
[Double_R] No one is resisting secure elections, that's hoarseshit.

and your circumstantial evidence had all been debunked.
lol, yea I can see that rofl "Here are all some examples, one wasn't correct; Brad says it's fine"

Do you have any examples you'd like to provide?
I think you did a fine job. You may now proceed to the sheeplike and obtuse pretense of being unaware of the fundamental theorem of statistics by saying something like "but four examples don't make up for 18,000 votes!".

BTW... You never did answer my question; do you believe the elections in Stalin's Russia were legitimate? YES or NO?
Your question was whether I thought it was comparable, the answer was: YES.

Was it legitimate? NO

It must not be treated as accurate so long as significant fraud was possible. To call it legitimate is to treat it as accurate. There is circumstantial evidence that significant fraud occurred compounding the illegitimacy with the very real probability it was stolen.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
That's just pure strawman.
There it is again!

So... William Nelson died before the election. He was a dead voter. Dead voter confirmed...
For Trump. The dead guy voted for Trump. So you just named all the dead people votes. 4 of them. And at least one was for Trump. Which happens in every election long before Trump came along.
Trump lost by over 11,000 votes in Georgia 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot

TRUMP CANT LOSE 2024, Trump Black Support At 20%, Democrats PANICKING, JAIL Black Voices For Trump
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
I wonder why morons get their news from moronic sources. Oh! Because they’re morons!

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
I wonder why trusted Democrat elites thought it was a good political idea to turn the Orangeman into a martyr.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@cristo71
So here it is, a distilled, only slightly humorized summary of this discussion along with supporting source posts
You forgot to mention "heavily cherry picked".

You conveniently left out that part where I acknowledged that the correction which came later on was most likely accurate, or how I repeatedly asked you to explain what your point was to which you had no answer except to keep going right back to this techinal falsehood within the story, and how I stopped responding to you altogether because it was obvious you weren't interested in a meaningful conversation - until you started to pretend that the tool the agents were using was the point.

From the very start of our conversation it has been obvious to anyone with an IQ above temperature that whether they were using whips, split reins, ropes, or an oversize Twizzler... None of that was the point for myself or anyone else who took issue with this story. "Whipping" is an often used colloquialism, most people have never used or even seen an actual whip in real life let alone understand how one works, instead the term is often used to describe that type of motion regardless of the tool being used so the idea that people were "lied to" by the use of this term is just plain stupid.

But congratulations I guess... you really owned the lib on that one.

So now, finally, would you like to explain what your point is on this? What is it that you think is the take away here?

Invoking the historical imagery of an “agent of white supremacy” using a whip on a defenseless black person is surely intended to evoke a visceral response and sense of outrage
It wasn't invoked genius, it's what the video showed. You don't have to agree with why people were upset about it but stop pretending it was because of people being "lied to" about which tool was being used.
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
-->
@Greyparrot
I wonder why trusted Democrat elites thought it was a good political idea to turn the Orangeman into a martyr.
Its obvious. To make him Republican candidate.

Even if Trump wins in 2024, he will fuck up and get fucked over like he did the first time he was president. Then democrats win for sure in 2028.
Or Trump loses 2024 and then democrats win 2024.

Its a plan that gets democrats the win no matter how it goes.

Compare to that some different republican who wouldnt fuck up, then democrats would risk losing elections twice in a row.

With Trump, victory for democrats is guaranteed either in 2024, either in 2028 after Trump fucks up as president.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
Seems like another 4 years of Biden fucking up would do the exact same thing and make them more money too.
Best.Korea
Debates: 274
Best.Korea
-->
@Greyparrot
As long as democrat becomes president, its okay. 

8 years of Biden, but only 4 years of Trump? Democrats then have the advantage.

Also, thanks to this tactic, democrats can literally dictate who will be republican candidate. So it will always be some moron.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
Are black people who are charged with crimes they committed also martyrs in your view, or is it just white crime that should be given a free pass?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
Well I really hope the Democrat elites made enough money off of BBB and Ukraine cause 4 years is a long dry spell.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Double_R
You forgot to mention "heavily cherry picked".
No, no cherries. Sour grapes? Most likely.

You conveniently left out that part where I acknowledged that the correction which came later on was most likely accurate
Patently false. Your selective reading comprehension strikes again!

or how I repeatedly asked you to explain what your point was to which you had no answer except to keep going right back to this techinal falsehood within the story
*sigh* Yet again, I have addressed this. You just don’t accept it. So you can stop lying now (or can you?). Initially, I knew you wouldn’t accept any point I was making, so I simply said, “You do you.” Which you have! Second time you asked, I directed you to re-examine the discussion you chimed in on. You did not, so initial suspicion confirmed. Third time you asked, I directed you towards relevant posts, which you ignored. Initial suspicion reconfirmed. If you can’t be bothered or told, why should I be bothered to tell you?

except to keep going right back to this techinal falsehood within the story, and how I stopped responding to you altogether because it was obvious you weren't interested in a meaningful conversation - until you started to pretend that the tool the agents were using was the point.
Dude, you were called out for embellishing a story to an even greater extent than the media itself, and instead of owning up to it, whereupon the conversation could then move onward and upward, you attempted to dodge and dismiss it as being beside your point entirely. Balderdash. And blame me for sidetracking the discussion. Utter gall. If it were completely beside your point, why embellish (in other words, lie) in the first damn place?

This is not serious comportment… not seriously honest comportment, that is. It’s not even a one off; it’s a tediously predictable mode of operation.

“Whipping" is an often used colloquialism, most people have never used or even seen an actual whip in real life let alone understand how one works, instead the term is often used to describe that type of motion regardless of the tool being used so the idea that people were "lied to" by the use of this term is just plain stupid.
You really should know better than this. In fact, I think you do know better, but it would hurt your case. “Whipping,” as applied to black people, evokes a shameful history. Similarly, a noose, as applied to black people, evokes a shameful history. Black paint on a white person’s face evokes a shameful history. You know all this.

Then, add the fact that whipping wasn’t even occurring! And you have… what? Border agents being utilized improperly and using techniques they weren’t taught to use, such as twirling their reins.

“Invoking the historical imagery of an “agent of white supremacy” using a whip on a defenseless black person is surely intended to evoke a visceral response and sense of outrage”

It wasn't invoked genius, it's what the video showed. You don't have to agree with why people were upset about it but stop pretending it was because of people being "lied to" about which tool was being used.
You have a low standard of evidence for things you want to believe and a high standard of evidence for things you don’t want to believe. That isn’t unique to you; that’s part of the human condition. I think I even said this elsewhere in the thread, and it’s part of my point you refuse to accept. Knowing this aspect of the human psyche, you should guard against such bias where possible.

If the various media headlines said, “Border patrol agents twirl [or wave] their reins at migrants” then we wouldn’t be having this discussion. No, media felt the need to evoke American slave era imagery instead. That is clickbait and provocative rhetoric rather than good reporting. We are at an impasse. Surprise! I can agree to disagree on this. Can you? Or must you be “right”?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@cristo71
No, media felt the need to evoke American slave era imagery instead. 
Racebaiting is extremely profitable compared to truth telling.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Greyparrot
No, only right wing media values profits over truthfulness. Can I get an “Amen!”?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@cristo71
haha