Hall of Fame V - Voting

Author: Barney

Total: 93
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
Hall of Fame V
As a reminder, since the site is less active, there shall be less winners than previous years.

Voting Stage Rules
Welcome to DART’s fifth official Hall of Fame induction process! This thread is for the second stage of that process, namely, the voting stage. During this stage, users (you) may vote for the various nominees in each category (users, debates, miscellaneous) for inclusion in the Hall of Fame. The two nominees with the most votes in each category will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Any user will be able to vote for up to two nominees per category for a maximum of 6 votes per voting user. Voters may choose to vote for less than the maximum number if they choose. You may vote for any of the nominees who have advanced out of the nomination stage. The voting process will close at approximately 12:45pm, PST, on 03/23/24. Votes cast after the close of the process will not be considered.

When you vote, you are encouraged to offer a brief justification for, explanation of, or reason for your vote. Please also bold your votes to make them more visible.
You are permitted to change your votes within reason.

Those nominees with the most votes (2 per category) will be inducted into the DART Hall of Fame. In the event of a tie preventing exactly 2 inductions per category, the voting window will be extended for just those tied nominees. Those inducted will be formally honored with entries in the Hall of Fame thread.

There are no prerequisites or eligibility requirements for users to participate in the Hall of Fame voting process, except that they have an account on DART and are not voting/nominating from more than one account. Importantly, please don’t engage in coordinated vote trading and such, as that would be incongruous.

The Nominees
Choose up to two from each category. 

Users:

Barney
Barney
Vote Count 
Updated 11:10 PST, March 19th 2024

Users:
  • (5) WyIted - (Best.Korea, ILikePie5, Mharman, zedvictor4, RationalMadman)
  • (4) Lemming - (ILikePie5, Mharman, zedvictor4, FLRW)
  • (4) zedvictor4 - (Best.Korea, FLRW, RationalMadman, Vader)
  • (3) Ramshutu - (WyIted, whiteflame, Barney)
  • (3) ILikePie5 - (WyIted, whiteflame, Vader)

Debates:

Misc.:

RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
If you click on the usernames you will get the objective reason.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman

Moderation changes or actions should not make it to any website's hall of fame, it just goes to show how dead the website is.

If someone new to the website looks at it and goes to the hall of fame to see what is considered fame-worthy debates here, they do not usually wish to fall asleep reading it. Both of these debates are not only stimulating start-to-end but cover very hot topics where one side is playing society's devil's advocate. In the drugs all being legalised one, the society's devil's advocate won.

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
Users:

WyIted
zedvictor4

Two very active users who are also very interesting and are famous for making points outside of the usual comfort zone and displaying great knowledge. They also have a great sense of humor.

Debates:

All Drugs Should Be Legalized

This is one of those debates which changes your mind when you read it, because not only does it hold extreme position, but the position is argued so well on both sides, and the debate leaves you wondering if banning drugs is useful or harmful, although it changed my mind that maybe total ban doesnt work.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Votes

Wylted
Lemming

Derek Chauvin
Invasion of Poland

Banning IWRA
Random Thought
WyIted
Debates: 11
WyIted
Votes

1. Ilikepie
2. Ramshutu

1. Invasion of Poland
2. Derek Chauvin

1. Banningnof IWRA
2. MEEP
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Barney
why only two users for HoF instead of three this year?
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Mharman
This site should only have one from each category. the reason DDO had so many is that it was probably at least 5 years old before the HOF even started.

whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
Users:
  • ILikePie5
  • Ramshutu

Debates:
  • After meeting their basic needs, individuals have a moral obligation to donate all remaining wealth to effective social causes
  • Russia's invasion of Ukraine beginning in 2022 was unjustified

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Barney
Wylted and Lemming
Barney
Barney
-->
@Mharman
why only two users for HoF instead of three this year?
A minimal level of quality control, which in turn makes victory more meaningful.
Barney
Barney
Going to start with voting for one from each category. I'll likely add more later...

Ramshutu - I calculated before that he was responsible for something insane like 80% of the votes on the first page of the leaderboard (obviously no longer true),  and to this day only two people have surpassed his count. I assume those votes helped encourage people to stick around, which is massively beneficial to the site and community therein.

Derek Chauvin was not a racist - I'm obviously biased.

Rap Battle: Sir.Lancelot vs RationalMadman - This is a perfect example of things other than threads which are best awarded outside of users and debates. While it is technically structured as a debate, it's such a different kind that it'd be weird to compare it to say the humanitarian crises debates.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
Users:

Lemming.

Wylted.

Misc:

If you have a random thought post it here.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
Is unvoting allowed in this or only changing vote?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
If people are gonna act selfless and vote trash I can play games too.

I change my votes of members to:

Wylted
Lemming

And the reason is between me myself and I.

If you want to win, vote smarter.

If I can't change both, I change Pie only, to Wylted.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Users:

Lemming.

zedvictor4

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Barney
OK, makes sense.
Barney
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
Is unvoting allowed in this or only changing vote?
Changing votes is allowed. Unvoting is allowed. Abstaining is allowed.

Unless there’s a good reason to not allow something, it’s by default allowed.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
How are you going to nominate the drugs debate and not vote it but also vote no debate instead? I am not just asking because one obvious factor.

You know your debate that's winning only made the cut because I nominated it btw?

Everyone is voting wild as hell here except Whiteflame but he was responsible for 3 noms of debates in the first place.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
I really changed my votes to Wylted and Lemming btw, that wasn't a joke post. You haven't counted it but it's a genuine change.

If both my noms are going to vote those two clearly they believe those 2 deserve it.
WyIted
WyIted
I have no clue who lemming is. Perhaps he flew under the radar for me because God destined him to be outside of my story to be an unbiased observer so he could dispassionate and accurately write me into the next book of the Bible. 
Barney
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
Your changes are counted, I just hadn't gotten around to updating the tally yet.

As for my votes, that debate will most likely be my vote for how much I learned reading it. I just want to properly review the others first, which is something I did not consider important during nominations.

For misc., I am likely done. Even as the author of one post which was nominated, and having nominated content from one of the threads in the running; I just feel like only the rap battle stands out from the crowd.

Note: The above is not intended to sway anyone. As a moderator I am simply trying to be transparent in my thought processes.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
I unvote random thoughts thread.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Barney
Miscellaneous:

I vote for random thoughts and changing enforcement

Debates:

Russia vs Ukraine and Donating all wealth
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Pie and zedvictor
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
Your OP doesn't limit to 1 change.

Zedvictor4 has been a neutral but buddylike user for me during my time here. I don't care about Wylted winning despite all his bs.

Lemming doesn't deserve this more than zedvictor4. It's just wrong.

I changed hoping zed or pie would shift their vote selfish or something and really don't want a Ramshutu win.

I vote zedvictor4 instead of Lemming and leave it as that.

If I can't, that's life.

Lemming well done

Barney
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
There is no explicit limit to vote changes. We gave things a week to maximize opportunity for less active users to hop on. That time also allows people to reconsider votes as much as they wish.

Sure, someone could turn revoting into spam. Even that could probably be handled easily by just looking to their final votes at the end.

Anyways, I'll get the tally updated within a few minutes.
Barney
Barney
Updating my votes...

Debates:
That said, much credit to Germany v. Poland. It's a great example of historical debates, to which I've previously stated that it deserves to be a HoF contender. The other two come ahead for the urgency of modern issues (coincidently two types of poison).
Barney
Barney
As a reminder, only ~2 days remain for voting.