Should churches give free psychological evaluations

Author: Singularity

Total: 84
Singularity
Debates: 11
Singularity
-->
@Mopac
I don't disagree with that. I don't have enough information to know if it is true or not, all I know is I have been helped a lot by MODERN psychology, and it may help you as well. 

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Singularity
He has clear signs of early onset schizophrenia.
And what has Mopac said that permits you to conclude that Mopac exhibits signs of early onset schizophrenia? What experience do you have with gauging these signs that puts you in a position to make such a diagnosis from online commentary?

The word salad and delusions just being a few
Word salads are not a "sign" of schizophrenia nor is your impression of Mopac's "delusion."

I can't diagnose him because I am not his therapist but it is perfectly fine to attempt to get somebody help before it is too late.
"Help before it is too late"? Too late for what? You just said you can't diagnose Mopac but you're already making conclusions about the unsubstantiated prospects you allege?

No, you're just trying to pathologize Mopac's participation by alleging "mental illness" which is clear you don't fully understand.

Just like when I see people with suicidal ideation I can't conclude they are suicidal but I point them towards resources they can utilize.

Irrelevant.

I am not saying being spiritual is a symptom of mental illness, most spiritual people do not have mental illness, but he has shown clear signs,
You're not saying much of anything, much less substantiating your accusations or metrics.

You are preventing him from getting the help he needs by denying his obvious symptoms and signs
No, I'm challenging the reasoning and integrity of one who would conceive a thread accusing a member(s) of suffering mental "illness." What did you expect to come of this thread? Perhaps the more prudent approach would have been to discuss this privately with Mopac, should you have had genuine concern for Mopac's well-being. It's "obvious" that you're attempting to defame his character with these unsubstantiated and what I believe to be libelous claims.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Singularity
I don't respect your opinion. You should know better than to expect a different result.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Athias

Also I am not presenting a diagnosis. Just because he has displayed symptoms of early onset schizophrenia does not mean he has it, which is why it is a good ideal to seek help, and I say "before it is too late" because if medicated early, schizophrenia can be a non issue in somebody's life, so yes if you see somebody displaying obvious symptoms you have a moral obligation to point them towards help

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Athias
Have you seen his posts where he says stuff like

Earth = /////\\\\\\☆☆☆☆☆

This is a clear example of word salad, he also says stuff like God is truth, with truth being defined as "an honest statement". No,honest statements are not divine, even if the divine does make them, the statement itself is not a God lol. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Singularity
I never agreed with your defining of my language. 

The Truth is The Way It Is.

ACTUALITY.

An honest statement? No, thats obviously ridiculous. Instead of assuming I'm crazy because you can't make sense of what I'm saying, why don't you try a little harder. Try listening. Try asking honest questions with the intent to clarify, not mock.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Mopac

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Singularity
I don't understand what ebuc is saying.

A lot nicer than calling someone mentally ill, eh?
Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Mopac
Damn you guys are different users? And no mentally I'll is not an insult, any more than recognizing somebody has a broken arm is an insult. I honestly think it is bigoted of you to say it is an insult as if mentally Ill people are less human than you. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@Singularity
Cats, Logs, Fidelus, Soyez-vous, moto kudasai, Friendly, Dog, Hairs. Am I now schizophrenic because I strung these words together? "Word salad" is nothing more than a gimmicky neologism that disguises psychology's incapacity as of yet to substantiate a pathological and/or biochemical basis for their diagnoses. As of yet, there's no presentation of a biochemical basis for schizophrenia, "schizophasia," logorrhea, etc.

Athias
Athias
Also I am not presenting a diagnosis. Just because he has displayed symptoms of early onset schizophrenia does not mean he has it, which is why it is a good ideal to seek help, and I say "before it is too late" because if medicated early, schizophrenia can be a non issue in somebody's life, so yes if you see somebody displaying obvious symptoms you have a moral obligation to point them towards help
Your recommendation comes from an online dictionary. Your premise is based literally on lexical semantics.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Athias
That is silly. Not everybody displaying a symptom or even multiple symptoms of early onset schizophrenia will have it.
Singularity
Singularity
Worth looking into though 
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
he also says stuff like God is truth, with truth being defined as "an honest statement". No,honest statements are not divine, even if the divine does make them, the statement itself is not a God lol. 
Disagreeing with a statement doesn't make it unintelligible. But to admit that you're merely disagreeing would mean your assuming responsibility for your disagreement. Instead, you'd rather attempt to pathologize Mopac's statements to circumvent your owning up to fact that your disagreement is solely based on opinion. Rather than expose your contention as opinion, you're making him out to be "mentally ill."

Athias
Athias
-->
@Singularity
That is silly. Not everybody displaying a symptom or even multiple symptoms of early onset schizophrenia will have it.
Should I seek help then?

If want you want to understand in depth the nature of "mental illness" and its pervasive use in psychological/psychiatric lexicon, then read Thomas Szaz's "Myth of Mental Illness" should my arguments prove unconvincing, and you need an outside reference.

Singularity
Singularity
-->
@Athias
I think that 100% of people should see a psychologist from time to time. Very few are competent, I recommend shopping around
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
@et
The joke has always been on you.
disgusted
disgusted

afiats
Or read the 3rd rate scifi writer Lafayette.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Athias
Was Jesus "mad"?  Anyone knows that to call someone "mad" is simply a cheap form of abuse. But what is it when the bible uses the word? What's more, what is it when Jesus' own family say of him  having  "lost his mind" -   thought he was "crazy"  -  said  "he's gone mad" -  and to be  "out of his mind" - and  " he has become mad" ?  Mark 3:21

What does any of this have to do with my response?

Well, you have stated at post 30: 

it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness.

My question has everything to do with your own statement that - "no one on the planet has a mental illness"-  and the topic of this thread.  So it would be nice if you could answer the question instead of avoiding it by posing your own question.

here it is again>>

Was Jesus "mad"?  Anyone knows that to call someone "mad" is simply a cheap form of abuse. But what is it when the bible uses the word? What's more, what is it when Jesus' own family say of him  having  "lost his mind" -   thought he was "crazy"  -  said  "he's gone mad" -  and to be  "out of his mind" - and  " he has become mad" ?  Mark 3:21

SO, was Jesus mad?

madness

the state of having a serious mental illness.

out of one's mind

1. having lost control of one's mental faculties. having lost control of one's mental faculties.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Singularity
Should churches give free psychological evaluations
This reminds me of a sketch comedy show I once saw where a fortune teller listened to people's problems and then referred them to a psychologist.
Athias
Athias
-->
@Stephen

it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness
If you're going to quote me, quote me verbatim:

So as of yet, it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness."

My question has everything to do with your own statement that - "no one on the planet has a mental illness"
Never made that statement. Read my response again.

and the topic of this thread.
The topic of this thread is "Should churches give free psychological evaluations?" (Really, it's just an attempt at defamation.) Your attempt to engage a dispute over the lexicon of the Bible has nothing to do with this thread's subject.

So it would be nice if you could answer the question instead of avoiding it by posing your own question.
Once again, I do not "avoid" questions which I have no obligation to answer. And I'm not going to engage you in a discussion over Bible quotes. As I've already told you in the other thread, you have demonstrated the incapacity and/or unwillingness to support your claims. That hasn't changed. I will not indulge intellectual regress by engaging you in redundancy. So enjoy your day, Stephen.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Athias

it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness
If you're going to quote me, quote me verbatim:

Like this you mean?

Added: 01.07.20 08:47AM --> @Athias at post 28 wrote this: So as of yet, it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness."    https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/3481/should-churches-give-free-psychological-evaluations?page=4

Never made that statement. Read my response again.

I am more that sure that it was you, it has your name and the time that you added it LOOK>>>> Added: 01.01.20 06:25PM in a response to Singularity.   --  It is simple enough for you to go back and look at your own comment. >>>>

Added: 01.01.20 06:25PM --> @Athias at post 28  Would you like to provide premises for why you think there are zero people on the planet with mental illness 
Because "abnormality" is not the same as illness. Illness is a pathological condition which produces symptoms. There has yet to be a mental "illness" that either fits the aforestated description or produces a biochemical basis. This is the reason the APA rarely includes--if at all--the term "illness" when publishing the DSM (currently DSM-5.) The APA has instead opted to use the term "disorder," which is not the same as illness. The inclusion of "illness" in psychiatric lexicon is merely the residul of Jean-Martin Charcot's failed attempt to prove that hysteria had a neuropathological basis.

"So as of yet, it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness."

The topic of this thread is "Should churches give free psychological evaluations?"
It is indeed.  And after your comment that "So as of yet, it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness." I am asking you a question concerning Jesus the Christ's mental state. Was Jesus mad? His family seemed to believe he was?

Once again, I do not "avoid" questions which I have no obligation to answer.

That is true, you are not obliged.. But you  did attempt a response of sorts thereby you acknowledged the question, but then avoided actually answering it. see post 54 Added: 01.06.20 05:47PM

And I'm not going to engage you in a discussion over Bible quotes

Why ever not!!!??  This is a religious sub forum. It is  to do with matters of religion and   the Christ is a religious icon who has a lot to say and so do his followers on his behalf. 

you have demonstrated the incapacity and/or unwillingness to support your claims

Opinion. But you have only attempted to support your claims with superstitions and miracles which, in the 21st century, do not count for anything... at all.  Was Jesus mad? His own family,  that is,  those closest to him and knew him better than anyone else on this planet, seemed to believe he was.

I will not indulge intellectual regress by engaging you in redundancy. So enjoy your day, Stephen.

So while you are willing to lecture others on the matter of mental illness, you are not willing to comment on what the scriptures themselves have to say regarding the mental state of Jesus the Christ and Savior. ? Well I can only hope that some else here has the commonsense to ask you the same question as I. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@Stephen
Like this you mean?
Yes, like that.

"So as of yet, it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness."
That's not the same as stating "no one has a mental 'illness.'"

It is indeed.  And after your comment that "So as of yet, it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness." I am asking you a question concerning Jesus the Christ's mental state. Was Jesus mad? His family seemed to believe he was?
And I'm declining a response to your questions.

That is true, you are not obliged.. But you  did attempt a response of sorts thereby you acknowledged the question, but then avoided actually answering it. see post
Yes, and I'm responsible for my response to Singularity. In what way am I obliged to answer your questions? You just acknowledge that I'm not obliged, so there are not "Buts."

Why ever not!!!??
Because I have no inclination to argue about Bible quotes with you especially on a subject where they are irrelevant. But whether this registers with you or not is of no consequence. I won't engage you in a discussion over quotes, and that's the last time I'm going to inform you.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Athias
It is indeed.  And after your comment that "So as of yet, it has not been demonstrated that anyone on the planet has a mental "illness." I am asking you a question concerning Jesus the Christ's mental state. Was Jesus mad? His family seemed to believe he was?
And I'm declining a response to your questions.

Well that will do. I can only take the words of those who knew him better than you then. can't I.

Because I have no inclination to argue about Bible quotes with you especially on a subject where they are irrelevant.

It is very relevant. You just don't like the question. In fact you don't like question that puts your back against the wall do you.

I won't engage you in a discussion over quotes, and that's the last time I'm going to inform you.

OK. Maybe someone else can ask you. you may want to"engage" them. 

Was Jesus mad? His family seemed to believe he was?Mark 3:21  https://biblehub.com/mark/3-21.htm