Total: 97
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@fauxlaw
The slavery issue may be compelling by your argument, but it can be argued that on the side of the fetus
Legally it could only become a slave after it becomes a fully formed person. Granted cases of people having children to serve as slaves are truly horrible, but the vast majority of abortions are not for planned pregnancies and similarly happen while before there's any risk of the fetus being able to feel pain.

“nor shall any State deprive any personof life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws” 
Yes, the state shall not infringe upon the rights of people. The state is very restricted in what it may do. The state may not forcibly neuter people (as it used to do), nor force them to sire children.

People, not the state make their health and family planning decisions.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Barney
If someone is trespassing in my house, I have the right to evict them from my property, even if it's winter so they'll die without my hospitality.
are you sure that's true?  For example, you can't legally set up lethal traps to protect your property.  Just like police you are not legally obligated to risk your life to protect another.  There's other examples, so I'm not sure that your example is legal.

Many pro-lifers wish it to be legally mandated that she lose her freedoms upon pregnancy (granted I would too for late term pregnancies, as I do believe in protecting beings whom feel pain).

that is not how I see pro lifers approach their argument.  Your are looking at the issue from the point of view that this is about the woman.  Someone pro life would look at this issue from the point of view of the baby.

let's say there is a conflict, a winner and a loser.
what would the woman actually loose?  convenience, physical discomfort, financial discomfort etc
what would the baby actually loose?  their life and in some cases a brutally painful death.
so how much is a life worth?  where do we draw the lines?

I'm sure you know that we can detect brain waves much earlier in the development than let's say 20-30 years ago, maybe it can be even earlier than we have the technology for currently, do you think that could be possible that we don't know everything?  If you do then could it be possible that at some point in the future we will discover that babies can feel pain earlier than what is claimed now?  Does that matter or concern you?
Barney
Barney
-->
@Dr.Franklin
1.banning abortion wont stop abortions

What about gun control
Very different things, and I used evidence to support my claim on universal background checks. Where's your counter evidence that women in countries with oppressive reproductive laws don't get abortions?

2.liberals always on a gun control crusade after a school shooting

but defend killing kids in abortion?
Surely you understand the difference between a chicken sandwich and a raw egg with a side of unprocessed grains?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Barney
Prude is pragmatic. All sex should consider the consequences.

I am just pointing out the extension of the pro-choice government policies in order to circumvent the consequences of sex has a societal price. Lives of the unborn for women and the elimination of child support and fatherhood for the men are that price.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Barney
What are your thoughts on such being partly extended to pregnant women and newborns?

I think that religious institutions can pay for birthing costs instead of taxpayers since the religious institution doesn't care about money as much as taxpayers for the people who can't afford it.  Mothers who have an unintended pregnancy are few and far between enough that if there are only a few of them for religious organizations to pay for, they could do it off of donations, which are also consensually given, as opposed to tax dollars, which are obtained by coercion.

Basically, I think the woman and newborn should get help, but not from the government.  Also, once the kid is out of the womb, if the mother can't afford the kid or doesn't want the kid, it's what adoption is for.

I mean maybe pass a law that they must be painted a bright color to be less scary. 🤣
I want them to look scary so bad characters don't mess with you, or are less likely too.

but it's nice to chat with someone not looking for a fight.
I appreciate the compliment, but I don't know if anyone here is looking for a fight, although I might be wrong.  I haven't read too much of what other people have been saying here.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Alec
I appreciate the compliment, but I don't know if anyone here is looking for a fight, although I might be wrong.  I haven't read too much of what other people have been saying here.

The trolling on this site is way, way lower than the old DDO site.
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
I'm curious how beliefs in stripping women of their rights for the benefit of strangers (AKA "the unborn"), line up with investing in a border wall and a general anti-immigrant stance? After-all people who die trying to cross the border could live if given residence in the homes of citizens at the expense and against the wishes of said citizens.
Excluding the negative social implications of large scale immigration, too much immigration depresses the wages and incomes for the majority of Americans. I don't want people to die crossing the border, but we can't simply allow unchecked migration into the country. Deportations should be as humane as possible.

Stances against universal health care, which would raise the quality of life for any children forced to be born against the wishes of the mother, and likely make less women want abortions when there's not the up front cost of around $12,000 to give birth in a hospital.
I'm in favor of universal healthcare.

Gun access at the expense of life. Just universal background checks is estimated to be able to prevent over 1000 murders per year.
This implies that gun rights inherently lead to an expense of life. Yet, look at the trends. Gun restrictions have increased since the 1950s while homicide rates and mass shootings have also increased. People who want to murder will do it regardless, I could care less what falsified and BS statistic predicts that background checks will prevent that many murders given that current gun regulations have not made a dent. 

Also, it's not like a black market for guns can't spring up. Illegal drug use is rampant despite the war on drugs.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Barney
Ok, I’m glad that we could (at least based on personal political beliefs) come to an understanding. I believe that potential inconsistencies are important to talk about and get to the root of. 

Really interesting topic. I look forward to reading this thread :)

More on the topic of reform, I personally wouldn’t support drastic abortion-limiting laws until we resolve issues with foster care. If those options became viable options to give children good lives, then I would begin supporting big pro-life laws. As it currently stands, I would probably only be on board with 3rd trimester bans outside of life-or-death situations
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
As it currently stands, I would probably only be on board with 3rd-trimester bans outside of life-or-death situations.

This is also very rare, about 1% of abortions in the USA. Most of them due to extreme fetal abnormalities like organ and brain atrophy.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
Yeah, when you make exceptions for rape and preventing maternal death, at the least you are preventing 96% of abortions. Most are for financial reasons, “not being ready to be a parent”, or other reasons that don’t merit killing
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Alec
Tyrannical government etc.
Not to worry.

You will always have an assortment of gun toting rednecks that you can reliably call upon in times of woe. LOL

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
The gun-toting pasty necks can help out too.
Alec
Alec
-->
@zedvictor4
If you don't think the US gov will ever go tyrannical, what do you think of Donald Trump?  The left views him as a tyrant to illegal immigrants.  If illegal immigrants had AR 15s, then less deportations would happen.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Alec
Do you see us going to war less often because terrorists have guns? Do you see us leaving gangs alone because they have guns? Nope and nope.
Barney
Barney
-->
@Swagnarok
1. In terms of the inherent obligations one has for another, one's son or daughter cannot be compared to a random stranger, or even to somebody you consider yourself friends with. Its most fundamental basis is neither affection nor emotion and exists in the absence of either.
What you're talking about sounds like emotional bonds. Why should your emotional bond to some random woman's fetus, outweigh her lack of said bond when she's the one measurably affected?

Call it you feeling obligated if you want, and the woman in question still doesn't have it.

For example, who would you sooner die for (if you had to choose)? Your three month old, or your best friend of 15 years?
Best friend of course. What's your point?
Barney
Barney
-->
@ethang5
For the adults your argument holds up, but for the "defenseless, innocent" children it does not. 
How so? I think it is stronger for 
defenseless, innocent" children.
You made a case that adults are criminals. Now you're saying children are bigger criminals?

They "could live if given residence in the homes of citizens at the expense and against the wishes of said citizens." 
 But there is no connection between those citizens and the illegal. But in the case of the woman, she voluntarily engaged in sex that could result in pregnancy.

The embryo is at least 50% genetically the same as the mother. There is no such connection between the citizen and the illegal. Further, unlike the illegal and the citizens home, the baby has never been outside the mother. Your analogy is false on several levels.
A woman seeking an abortion clearly doesn't feel the strength of this connection the way that you do.

And the analogy has to do with forcing other people to save lives at great personal expense to themselves.

I am only talking about unwanted pregnancies.
This is the weakest part of your argument. For what does "unwanted" mean? ...  At what point along the chain of voluntary decisions that lead to a baby can a woman say she doesn't want a baby?
I would argue any point before the unborn feels pain. If curious: https://www.livescience.com/54774-fetal-pain-anesthesia.html

In any case, you currently have zero obligations to any of the groups.
Untrue. I always have moral obligations to other people, but because I am limited, my obligations to people more closely related to me get met first.
You have the choice to help people or to not. It's fantastic of you if you do, but I personally would not want the government to force it upon you in any significant way.

I even pointed out what I thought any pro-lifer would take to be a major benefit: "and likely make less women want abortions"
But at what cost? Aborting female children will also have the "major benefit" of likely making fewer women want abortions. Is that acceptable to you? The ends do not always justify the means.
At the cost of a woman pre-planning to avoid pregnancy. I did not propose acting like China under the one child policy, nor do I have a clue how you're comparing women making the personal choice to not get pregnant to that.

Since you're spiraling into even more toxicity, that's all I have to say to you.
Barney
Barney
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If someone is trespassing in my house, I have the right to evict them from my property, even if it's winter so they'll die without my hospitality.
are you sure that's true?  For example, you can't legally set up lethal traps to protect your property.  Just like police you are not legally obligated to risk your life to protect another.  There's other examples, so I'm not sure that your example is legal.
Yes I am sure. And even if they were invited in and have contracts, evictions occur all year: https://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2017/01/can-landlords-evict-tenants-during-cold-weather.html

Many pro-lifers wish it to be legally mandated that she lose her freedoms upon pregnancy (granted I would too for late term pregnancies, as I do believe in protecting beings whom feel pain).
that is not how I see pro lifers approach their argument.  Your are looking at the issue from the point of view that this is about the woman.  Someone pro life would look at this issue from the point of view of the baby.
Putting the rights of one person on hold for the benefit of another, is still just that; even if you think it's worth it. The military draft would be another example, or more loosely convicts not being allowed to vote (not trying to go too far into the rabbit hole of privileges vs rights).

...and in some cases a brutally painful death.
In 98.7% of abortions the fetus has not reached the phase in development where pain is possible: https://www.livescience.com/54774-fetal-pain-anesthesia.html & https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/data_stats/abortion.htm
Barney
Barney
-->
@Alec
What are your thoughts on such being partly extended to pregnant women and newborns?
...religious organizations to pay for, they could do it off of donations, which are also consensually given, as opposed to tax dollars, which are obtained by coercion.
Given that religion seems to the primary reason people care so much, I cannot offer any disagreement.

I mean maybe pass a law that they must be painted a bright color to be less scary. 🤣
I want them to look scary so bad characters don't mess with you, or are less likely too.
To each their own. Hopefully I'm not a bad character, but I would find the following way more scary than a normal black weapon: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/645070346612989081/
Alec
Alec
-->
@Barney
Given that religion seems to the primary reason people care so much, I cannot offer any disagreement.

I think the pro life movement would be more successful if religion was put out of it.  Religion scares pro choice atheists from the pro life cause.

To each their own. Hopefully I'm not a bad character, but I would find the following way more scary than a normal black weapon: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/645070346612989081/
I disagree but will like your comment.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Barney

Obviously, you have the freedom of speech to say this. But there's virtually no way a normal person, if actually presented with that exact situation, would choose as you're claiming. You might feel a greater bond with your best friend than your newborn child, sure. But in the right moment you'd know who your greater responsibility was towards. One is not only a child, but also your child. The other is an unrelated adult who you have no obligation toward beside those entailed by the bonds of friendship that you regularly choose to sustain.
It may still be a noble thing to lay down your life for your friend. But you can't prioritize him or her over the wellbeing of your children.

What you're talking about sounds like emotional bonds. Why should your emotional bond to some random woman's fetus, outweigh her lack of said bond when she's the one measurably affected?

Does not compute. You're claiming I said literally the opposite of what I did. A person has obligations towards close family, near-infinitely more so one's own child, whether they particularly like said family member or not. One's unborn child falls under this category and therefore is unlike a stranger.

Call it you feeling obligated if you want, and the woman in question still doesn't have it.

????
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Barney
I think it is stronger for defenseless, innocent" children.

You made a case that adults are criminals. Now you're saying children are bigger criminals?
If "innocent" is synonymous with "criminal" to you, yes.

A woman seeking an abortion clearly doesn't feel the strength of this connection the way that you do.
The connection exists, and it is not just how she feels. She brought that baby into existence by her behavior. Calling the baby a "trespasser" or a "stranger" is ... I have to say it, ....heartlessly stupid.

Try and tell the government that you feel no "connection" to your child and see if they will waive child support.

And the analogy has to do with forcing other people to save lives at great personal expense to themselves.
Your analogy fails because you pretend context doesn't matter. Prison forces people to save lives at great personal expense to themselves, so does the military. In each case, a crime and a legal commitment respectively, obligates the person. Only the dishonest want us to free criminals from the prison that limits their freedom without considering their crime.

Your argument pretends that the woman (and the man) have no responsibility in the baby being there. That is both untrue and absurd.

Depending on what you do, society will expect you to save lives at great personal expense to yourself. The couple knew this before they hooked up.

I would argue any point before the unborn feels pain. If curious:   https://www.livescience.com/54774-fetal-pain-anesthesia.html
There are 2 things wrong with this. First, it assumes wrongly, that killing is OK if the victim feels no pain. The possible pain of the victim has no baring on whether murder is wrong or right. It's a red herring.

Second, "feeling pain" is just an adhock standard you dreamed up. Another person could put it at, "when the baby develops fingers", or "before a baby can hear". But all of them are subjective, ad hoc standards set up for when you can kill a person. The baby is in no way culpable for the decisions of the parents, especially those decisions made before it was conceived that lead to its creation.

You have the choice to help people or to not. It's fantastic of you if you do, but I personally would not want the government to force it upon you in any significant way.
This is disingenuous. The government forces it upon me when they mandate restitution for a prior crime, or child support for a child conceived. In each of those kinds of cases, it would be folly not to consider the defendants prior behavior.

Why should it be different for women and their babies? A persons right to self autonomy doesn't trump everything, and persons themselves can do things that require them to limit the right for a time. None of this is new or illogical.

(granted I would too for late term pregnancies, as I do believe in protecting beings whom feel pain)
What about a person who does not believe protection should be based on pain perception? Is such a person also moral when he advocates for late term abortions?

..nor do I have a clue how you're comparing women making the personal choice to not get pregnant to that.
I'm not. You've said nothing about NOT getting pregnant. We are talking abortion, and every point you've brought up so far has been rebutted.

*Equating an unwanted baby with an "intruder". Rebutted
*Claiming "no connection" to the fetus. Rebutted
*Woman's right to privacy and self-autonomy. Rebutted
*killing OK before the child can feel pain, Rebutted
*Woman being stripped of her rights. Rebutted

Do you have any other arguments? Any I have not addressed?

Since you're spiraling into even more toxicity, that's all I have to say to you
Your choice. But I have a suspicion your leaving is really because your argument is  spiraling down the drain.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Alec
I just love your logic!

I'm certain that you're a really nice guy and I do not wish to offend at all.

But there is rarely much logic or logical progression to your argument.

#43 for example, really is just a string of immaturely put together and incohesive soundbites.

Nonetheless:
I don't think that the U.S. will "go tyrannical" and I think that the current U.S. head of state is no more or less worrisome than any of his recent predecessors. The left will always tend to oppose the right and the right will always tend to oppose the left and if you consider yourself to be either left or right then you will no doubt have a tendency to be biased. In the unlikely event of illegal immigrants obtaining assault rifles, then there would be a short term period of chaos, after which deportations would more than likely increase. 

Let's be honest and logical for a moment.....There is a huge difference between illegal economic migrants and heavily armed terrorist insurgents.

Barney
Barney
-->
@Swagnarok
Obviously, you have the freedom of speech to say this. But there's virtually no way a normal person, if actually presented with that exact situation, would choose as you're claiming...
I'm a veteran (I talked about it a bit in my AMA), a member of a community of people with a proven track record of prioritizing people other than blood relations.
Easy examples within this would be anyone in a combat unit who starts a family then reenlists. This expands much further if you believe sex should only be done when planning on pregnancy, as it would then apply to every soldier whom has ever partaken in sex shortly before going away to war.

Does not compute. You're claiming I said literally the opposite of what I did. A person has obligations towards close family, near-infinitely more so one's own child, whether they particularly like said family member or not. One's unborn child falls under this category and therefore is unlike a stranger.
What you described sounds like either an emotional bond, or your own imagination. And yes, I do call anyone I have not met a stranger, even if they share DNA. I certainly don't know basic things like their favorite color or general attitudes before I've met them.

????
If women all feel these "inherent obligations" as you described, abortions would such a rarity that they wouldn't be worth discussing.
Alec
Alec
-->
@zedvictor4
In the unlikely event of illegal immigrants obtaining assault rifles, then there would be a short term period of chaos, after which deportations would more than likely increase. 
If they use it for home defense, then there wouldn't be deportations and chaos any more than it currently is with people owning AR15s.

There is a huge difference between illegal economic migrants and heavily armed terrorist insurgents.

True, but if your a terrorist illegal immigrant and you kill someone, deportation is too good for you.  You belong in jail for the rest of your life donating blood every 3 months to save more people than the number you killed from your terrorist activities.

Most illegal immigrants are economic migrants, searching for jobs as a means of income generation, which is the american thing to do.
ethang5
ethang5
...a member of a community of people with a proven track record of prioritizing people other than blood relations.
Oh please. The soldier faces potential death, possible death. Swags question to you was about certain death, and we know which way most soldiers would answer.

And yes, I do call anyone I have not met a stranger, even if they share DNA.
What you call them is your prerogative, how you treat them should be based on fairness and logic. A child conceived by voluntary actions of a woman certainly does not  deserve to be treated like a stranger or invader, and is clearly where he is supposed to be.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Barney
you said "even if it's winter so they'll die without my hospitality."

I said "are you sure that's true?"

your link "sheriff and police departments have policies to not process eviction orders if the weather is below a certain temperature"

I don't see where you can evict someone so they'll die because of the weather.

Putting the rights of one person on hold for the benefit of another, is still just that; even if you think it's worth it.
I've already given the example that you can't protect your property with lethal traps or security.  So certain rights are more important than others when they conflict.

In 98.7% of abortions the fetus has not reached the phase in development where pain is possible
so you accept that we know all there is to know about human development?  Does everyone and everything develop at the same rate?
You seem to object to abortions when they can feel pain, is that correct?  If so how strong is your objection?  Strong enough to er on the side of caution?

Barney
Barney
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
your link "sheriff and police departments have policies to not process eviction orders if the weather is below a certain temperature"

I don't see where you can evict someone so they'll die because of the weather.
Had you read even the first paragraph from the provided article, rather than just cherry picked part of one sentence out of context from the end, you would know that people indeed die in the cold following legal evictions: https://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2017/01/can-landlords-evict-tenants-during-cold-weather.html

That some (not even a majority) local law enforcement will choose to delay the legal eviction approved by the court, doesn't make the evictions illegal.

Putting the rights of one person on hold for the benefit of another, is still just that; even if you think it's worth it.
...So certain rights are more important than others when they conflict.
Glad you finally agree women have rights to begin with. ... Not saying you agree with me on anything else, but there's at least the possibly for meaningful dialog.

In 98.7% of abortions the fetus has not reached the phase in development where pain is possible
so you accept that we know all there is to know about human development?  Does everyone and everything develop at the same rate?
You seem to object to abortions when they can feel pain, is that correct?  If so how strong is your objection?  Strong enough to er on the side of caution?
As noted in the article: "published in 2005, the research is still valid, because the scientific community's understanding of fetal development is 'pretty much stable.'" That's now 15 years for them to be disproven, which makes me completely fine with early term abortions (and of course birth control, for which pro-life opposition to preventing abortions still boggles my mind), and consider attempts to delay those to when pain might become possible to be monstrous. Granted, I would of course not endorse an abortion at 9 months without medical complication.
ethang5
ethang5
People die after evictions BUT

1. Those people were not brought into the house by the very one evicting.

2. Unlike a baby, their deaths was possible, not certain.

3. The evicted person, unlike babies, did something to warrant eviction, they could not be evicted simply because the property owner felt like evicting him.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Barney
 I would of course not endorse an abortion at 9 months without medical complication.
how about 269 days of gestation without complications ok to abort?

scientific community's understanding of fetal development
statistics are a bell curve even with this is it not?
or is the development exactly the same for every baby and everyone that has been born?

Glad you finally agree women have rights to begin with
you're doing it again, i never, ever, ever said women didn't have rights, honestly can't you control and check yourself a bit better?
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Barney
So awhile back I committed some Red Herrings in abortion debate. I'm curious if anyone on the other side would like to defend what I take to be hypocrisy. I do not assume any one pro-life person to believe in each of the following; it's rather a starting point for potential discussion.

1. I'm curious how beliefs in stripping women of their rights for the benefit of strangers (AKA "the unborn"), line up with investing in a border wall and a general anti-immigrant stance? After-all people who die trying to cross the border could live if given residence in the homes of citizens at the expense and against the wishes of said citizens.
  2. Stances against universal health care, which would raise the quality of life for any children forced to be born against the wishes of the mother, and likely make less women want abortions when there's not the up front cost of around $12,000 to give birth in a hospital.
  3. Gun access at the expense of life. Just universal background checks is estimated to be able to prevent over 1000 murders per year.
I'll bite. I'll play devil's advocate:

1. The unborn child is not a stranger. It is its mother's progeny. Furthermore, the issue with the border is centered around the notion of illegal entrance, not entrance in and of itself. It's the difference between jumping a gate, and being invited and having the gate open, with which having voluntary sex would align more.

2. Universal health care does not raise the quality of life. It merely defers the immediate expenses into a public debt scheme. Universal health care at best makes health services more accessible, it does not however make the quality of care better. Not to mention, organizations like Planned Parenthood have pushed for abortions to not only be considered a non-elective medical service, but also a service covered by public health insurance. How would that make fewer women want abortions?

3. Guns don't kill people; people kill people--as well as fatal diseases, rabid animals, accidental work place injuries, car accidents, etc.