How hypocritical 99% of society is

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 150
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@dfss9788
Have you considered that the they probably wouldn't have lives at all if it were not for the consumption of their products? Are their lives so terrible that they're better off not having existed in the first place?
People make the exact same argument in favor of owning human slaves.

The east india company was "rescuing" the wretched savages from certain doom.
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
I'm asking (IFF) you consider chickens (and or books) property or not.
Yes, I would consider them property. But they are also distinct because one is alive and one is not. That is why I wouldn't consider ripping up a book to be harmful. I am failing to see what that has to do with the original question of whether bestiality is morally evil or not.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Yes, I would consider them property.  But they are also distinct because one is alive and one is not.
Is a chicken more "alive" or less "alive" than a dog ?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
It is just as much "alive" as a dog is. The only distinction between the two is a manmade one that is a matter of perception. But they are both just animals.
dfss9788
Debates: 2
dfss9788
-->
@3RU7AL
People make the exact same argument in favor of owning human slaves.

The east india company was "rescuing" the wretched savages from certain doom.
They said they were better off enslaved than in their homelands. Well, as a factual matter that probably wasn't true. In this case of the cows, well they probably are better off existing rather than not existing at all. Though, if their lives are  replete with suffering then then those are lives not worth living. Mitigating unnecessary suffering among livestock I think is important. For example, not using carbon dioxide to knock them out for slaughter is significant, and there are plenty of other things that can be done to reduce unnecessary suffering.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
It is just as much "alive" as a dog is. The only distinction between the two is a manmade one that is a matter of perception. But they are both just animals.
Do you think it's "moral" to keep a dog locked in a small cage for it's entire life ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@dfss9788
In this case of the cows, well they probably are better off existing rather than not existing at all.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
Do you think it's "moral" to keep a dog locked in a small cage for it's entire life ?
Dogs have certain requirements to maintain their health. Being kept in a small cage would be seriously detrimental to a dog's health. However, I would be hesitant to assign a black and white moral imperative not to keep a dog in a cage.

But I am still failing to see the relevance to the question of whether bestiality is moral or not. Are you at least building up to that point?
dfss9788
dfss9788
-->
@3RU7AL
I like this idea.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Dogs have certain requirements to maintain their health. Being kept in a small cage would be seriously detrimental to a dog's health. However, I would be hesitant to assign a black and white moral imperative not to keep a dog in a cage.
Do you think it's "moral" to keep a chicken (and or a calf and or a goose) locked in a small cage for it's entire life ?

I mean, if your neighbor was keeping a dog and or a chicken and or a calf and or a goose locked up in  a shed, each in little crates and they never let them out, would that be "morally neutral" ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@dfss9788
ZOIKS.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
Do you think it's "moral" to keep a chicken (and or a calf and or a goose) locked in a small cage for it's entire life ?
That would depend on the needs of the animal. A chicken would do better in a cage than a dog, though neither would thrive in that environment. I would suggest that no one keep such an animal in those conditions but again, I would be hesitant to make it a black and white moral imperative.

But I am still failing to see the relevance to the question of whether bestiality is moral or not. Are you at least building up to that point?
dfss9788
dfss9788
-->
@3RU7AL
ZOIKS.
In all seriousness, there is a lot of value from dairy products. I don't see that milking cows makes them suffer much. Maybe it does in some places, and that's kind of sad. Sometimes the cows do get even. One day a man was sleeping in bed with his wife. Out of nowhere a cow came crashing through the roof and landed on him. The man's injuries were fatal. True story. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/07/15/newser-cow-kills-man/2517321/
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
" to keep a chicken (and or a calf and or a goose) locked in a small cage for it's entire life ?
That would depend on the needs of the animal. A chicken would do better in a cage than a dog, though neither would thrive in that environment. I would suggest that no one keep such an animal in those conditions but again, I would be hesitant to make it a black and white moral imperative.
I see.

You would be hesitant.

What about shocking a dog with a cattle prod every time you want them to move from one cage to another ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@dfss9788
I don't see that milking cows makes them suffer much.
I disagree.

Visiting any modern factory farm is extremely depressing.

I'm personally not sure why people generally care more about dogs and cats than about cows, pigs, sheep, goats, and chickens.

Especially considering that pigs are smarter than most dogs.

Legally, (IFF) a dog is property (THEN) it's nobody's business what any individual OWNER chooses to do with their dog

And (IFF) a dog has rights (THEN) a pig also has rights
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Yes, I would consider them property.
And does property have rights ?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
What about shocking a dog with a cattle prod every time you want them to move from one cage to another ?
What does this have to do with the original question of whether bestiality is morally evil or not?

Only humans have rights.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
What does this have to do with the original question of whether bestiality is morally evil or not?
Isn't it obvious ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Only humans have rights.
So, what anyone happens to do with their own property is of no concern to the state.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
Isn't it obvious ?
I'm holding out hope that you aren't going to justify humans degrading themselves with animals.

So, what anyone happens to do with their own property is of no concern to the state.
My hope is dwindling fast.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
(IFF) you want to protect animals from pain and discomfort (THEN) you must grant them rights

(IFF) you grant rights to animals (THEN) you should not slaughter them
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
I must confess, I almost teared-up. Wonderfully stated.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
(IFF) you want to protect animals from pain and discomfort (THEN) you must grant them rights

(IFF) you grant rights to animals (THEN) you should not slaughter them
If rights are granted by humans, then humans can also take those rights away.

Is it wrong for humans to have sex with animals?  Quit dodging the question.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
If rights are granted by humans, then humans can also take those rights away.
Yep.  And ?

Is it wrong for humans to have sex with animals?  Quit dodging the question.
It depends on your personally preferred moral framework.

I personally do not condone either the abuse and or slaughter of humans or animals.

The question posed in this topic, the question that you've been dodging is,

How can someone be in favor of granting rights to animals and still fabricate elaborate excuses for maintaining modern factory farms ?
How can someone be in favor of granting rights to animals and still fabricate elaborate excuses for maintaining modern factory farms ?

Do these soulless creatures have no empathy ?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
I personally do not condone either the abuse and or slaughter of humans or animals.
That is not a direct answer to my question. Is it wrong for humans to have sex with animals? A yes or no will suffice.

If you go back to the OP, you will see that your statement is a misrepresentation.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector

If you go back to the OP, you will see that your statement is a misrepresentation.
Let's take a look,

Me: If you care about animal consent, why aren't you vegetarian? [POST#1]
Why can't you answer this simple question ?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
Why can't you answer mine?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
That is not a direct answer to my question. Is it wrong for humans to have sex with animals? A yes or no will suffice.
Your question, as it is so eloquently framed, contains within it, some rather substantial, and fundamental assumptions with which I disagree.

Morality is a personal impulse.

Legality is where an enforcement mechanism (and rampant personal privacy violations) and social consensus is required.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Why can't you answer mine?
Show me yours and I'll show you mine.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@3RU7AL
Morality is a personal impulse.
Your continual refusal to answer a simple question forces me to assume an answer. Based on the quoted statement, bestiality is only wrong if a person believes it is wrong. In other words, you believe that bestiality is a justifiable act depending on the individual's personal preferences.