POLL: Should Reporting Be Anonymous?

Author: drafterman

Total: 312
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@ShabShoral
Friendly. I don't know, should I leave an unattended campfire burning in the forest just because it's firefighters' jobs to put out forest fires anyway and they knew what they were signing up for? Despite it being their voluntary job, it's possible that a quick growing fire could get out of control and temporarily overwhelm their resources. I'm going off of this comment of bish's: "Even with the report limit in place, a user could overwhelm moderation's current capabilities depending on how many other reports come in at once."

Faced with a choice between avoiding that or not avoiding that, I choose avoiding that.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ShabShoral
And they complete suck at it. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
-->
@ShabShoral
I care, Castin cares and many others care. Try again, you insensitive traitor of a user to those that are guiding and protecting you.
Paul
Paul
-->
@drafterman
The identity of the reporter should never be made public.

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Sometimes it is worth PING somebody after a few reports to get a better understanding of a situation. Sometimes seeing one post out of context doesn't give you a full feel
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
--> @Wylted
PMing* Not PING, it is a difficult typo to make sense of for some so I am correcting here.
Castin
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
Thanks, was confused.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Paul
But do you think the mods should have access to that information?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Castin
Given that the loss of anonymity didn't prevent it, how do you think it will prevent it in the future?
drafterman
drafterman

Paul
Paul
-->
@drafterman
But do you think the mods should have access to that information?

I think it's okay for the mods to know so long as they never reveal the reporters username or other information.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Paul
Paul, then you are 100% on the side of 'against'
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Paul
This is about the mods knowing.
Paul
Paul
-->
@RationalMadman
So be it.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Paul
Welcome to the site and you chose well. :)
drafterman
drafterman

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
--> @drafterman

Angel Number 1717 indicates that you have an important soul mission and life purpose that involves communicating, teaching, healing others and serving humanity in a manner that suits your personality and natural abilities and interests. You are to set a positive example for others and inspire them to seek their own passion and purpose. Do not allow any insecurities to hinder or hold you back from fulfilling your destiny as you have all that you need within you. 

Angel Number 1717 also suggests that you may experience good fortune which will lead to the manifestation of your heart’s desires. It is your belief that dictates the nature of your reality  -  belief and thoughts joined together. Your life changes as you change your inner-beliefs and you have chosen your thoughts and actions to suit your personal truths and values. You are to be commended for your efforts so keep going in this vain. 

Angel Number 1717 also encourages you to look to new and different ways of expanding and practising your personal spirituality. Inspire others to fulfil their highest potential as you fulfil your own.

Is it for you or me? I believe it was my duty to spread the word to you.

17-17 is the destiny number at present for us. Equal masters of the masses, or are we? You will come to see that your pack of wolves is full of people who vote solely because the 'cool kids' were voting. Mine's full of intelligent beasts.

KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
Absolutely not 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@KingLaddy01
I agree to the side you pick but what so youeam by "absolutely"?

It's very important to not snitch on the snitch. If mods grass on grasses, it's never gonna end well.

KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
-->
@RationalMadman
You'll find that in life there isn't always a perfect solution. 
Snitching sucks but hey maybe the 1st snitcher shouldn't snitch in the first place. I'll take that over spamming from the same guy.

Also question, as I am not too familiar with the mod and am not a religious user of the site. Does he have as good of a tracing ability as Max? Because otherwise I could just change my ip address and mass report people.

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@KingLaddy01
What do you mean by snitching?  The vote is for whether mods can see who is doing what on the regular.
David
Debates: 92
David
I find it interesting that this poll is split half and half. 
drafterman
drafterman

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Given that it has been two days (in fact, several hours more), which is the time afforded to moderation policy comment periods, I think that this is a good point for me to weigh in on the results. Given that there are more votes for the status quo than for change, it seems clear to me that the status quo should be maintained moving forward. I thank everyone for participating in this thread and drafter for hosting it. It was great to get feedback from the site usership on this issue.

drafterman
drafterman
It was interesting to see this many people weigh in. Perhaps the greatest number of individuals to weigh in on a topic. I think how it panned is unfortunate and I believe it would have went differently if the user base was consulted when the status quo was anonymity and the question being asked is if it should be removed. (Kind of takes away from the democratic process to wait until after a change has been made to call a vote for it, but I digress).

The vote is what it is and I think the issue is settled for the mean time. I wish y'all the best of luck on the site.

Castin
Castin
-->
@drafterman
Your advertising technique was indeed very effective. @ everyone and get a huge turnout.

Given that the loss of anonymity didn't prevent it, how do you think it will prevent it in the future?
Well, that's the thing. There were several events that happened close together and are making it unclear to me what caused what, or what worked and what didn't. Report anonymity being lifted, the mods discovering you were the spam reporter, improvements being made to report handling, and you stopping your spam reporting, all happened in fairly quick succession.

KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
-->
@Plisken
Just going off of what the Madman said. Though come to think of it, I am surprised I haven't thought of the idea that the mod would keep it confidential. I understand your confusion.

That only augments my "absolutely". Nothing from the lack on anonymity can be utterly as bad as the status quo of mass reporting we have seen.

Castin
Castin
-->
@bsh1
Yes, if only because now Drafter is not reporting every vote on every debate. Even with the report limit in place, a user could overwhelm moderation's current capabilities depending on how many other reports come in at once. Once a debate is reported, that report is evaluated like all the others are against site standards. But, if it becomes clear a user is misusing the report function, the mods could work to educate that voter on site standards to discourage future misusing of the report function.
So stripping report anonymity was not responsible for cleaning up the spam reports. The spam reports stopped because draft decided to stop making spam reports.

This implies that whether or not knowing the identities of the reporters helps you prevent future spam reports is still something of an open question. Something you'll only know the next time we're hit by a new barrage of them?

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Castin
I would argue that Drafter only chose to stop because he was identified as the culprit. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
I'd be interested in the specifics of this argument, given that I claim otherwise and continued to report votes after I was "identified" and after I publicly revealed it. So, call me a liar and defend the argument.