DEBATEART PROPOSAL: WACKY WEDNESDAY

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 32
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
I'll get right to the point.

Ad hominem attacks are basically inevitable.

So, I'm proposing, for maybe a week, at random, all DebateArt usernames and icons be shuffled.

Of course the admins could still see the real userinfo, to mitigate potential abuse posting.

I think it would be very interesting to see how people respond differently to each other without the baggage they inevitably accumulate with familiarity.

and of course, after the wacky-week, everything posted would be re-labeled back to the actual (correct) account that created it (and not the randomized pseudonym).
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@3RU7AL
That's an interesting idea, I think after enough familiarity though it wouldn't take too long to figure out who is saying what. It would be even more interesting to try and act like your mask.

Also some people would not want to participate and you probably shouldn't make them.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Also some people would not want to participate and you probably shouldn't make them.
Good point.

There should be an "opt out" option.

There are a ton of inactive accounts here, so maybe everyone could be (temporarily) randomly swapped with an inactive account?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
So, I'm proposing, for maybe a week, at random, all DebateArt usernames and icons be shuffled.
In UNIX passwd file, I don't think that would be technically difficult but labor intensive.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
You think user data is in a unix file? What dark cave filled with thousands of flashing blinking lights have you been in?

No way a site like this works without a relational DB.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
-->@oromagi
You think user data is in a unix file? What dark cave filled with thousands of flashing blinking lights have you been in?

No way a site like this works without a relational DB.
 A very old cave that used to be called Sun Microsystems and is now called Oracle.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I'd like to see one person on this website who can begin to pull of RM's fantastic aura.

I'd also be curious why the hell I'd want to be anybody but me.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
In UNIX passwd file, I don't think that would be technically difficult but labor intensive.
would it be easier to simply "not display" usernames and icons for a week ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
I'd also be curious why the hell I'd want to be anybody but me.
to perhaps give people a fresh perspective

to see if people treat your words any differently if they don't weigh the burden of your "reputation"

implicit ad hominem (both positive and negative) is pervasive and insidious
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@3RU7AL
I think swapping front facing identity should be doable, custom but doable. You can't swap passwords. Then your replacement would get to change your settings and see all PMs. Never going to fly.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I think swapping front facing identity should be doable, custom but doable. You can't swap passwords. Then your replacement would get to change your settings and see all PMs. Never going to fly.
Yeah, the whole proposal is to make non-permanent name-tag swaps only.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@3RU7AL
profile links would have to be disabled, you don't want to click on one name, go to a the wrong profile and PM.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
profile links would have to be disabled, you don't want to click on one name, go to a the wrong profile and PM.
Exactly.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
-->@oromagi
would it be easier to simply "not display" usernames and icons for a week ?
Probably not- that would probably a coding change rather than just line editing. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Well  that would be an interesting social experiment.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
No. I vote against this.

People could type really threatening and nasty stuff, even on PMs, ruining the other's reputation.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
@RM See post #10, obviously impersonated PMs and access to past PMs are unacceptable. The tags would revert so the permanent record would be genuine. Ruining people's reputation by fabricating quotes seems to be kosher around here, a well known mechanic that does not remain in the permanent record is hardly worse.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
People could type really threatening and nasty stuff, even on PMs, ruining the other's reputation.

and of course, after the wacky-week, everything posted would be re-labeled back to the actual (correct) account that created it (and not the randomized pseudonym).

alternatively, instead of swapping identifiers, usernames and icons/avatars would simply not be displayed for one week
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I have zero support for this, not sure why you feel it will be a hit.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
No. I vote against this.
what if you were given the freedom to "opt-out" ?
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
I'll get right to the point.

Ad hominem attacks are basically inevitable.

So, I'm proposing, for maybe a week, at random, all DebateArt usernames and icons be shuffled.
Love it. It's like a metaphorical domino mask at a cocktail party.

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@3RU7AL
I'd fully endorse anonymous forum games, or even masks over usernames in debates; but shuffling names everywhere would be so confusing, lead to weird grudges, and be hard on new members who are not in the know. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Barney
I'd fully endorse anonymous forum games, or even masks over usernames in debates; but shuffling names everywhere would be so confusing, lead to weird grudges, and be hard on new members who are not in the know. 
I like this idea.

Perhaps we could setup an specific category on the forum for anonymous posting.

Of course with the caveat that the mods could still see the "true poster" and posts could still be "reported" or "flagged" as normal.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Barney
Masked debates.

Unmasked after voting period has expired.

Pure genius.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
The 'frequency of Ad hominem attacks are variable, and with effort can be reduced.

Would work better as an opt in, rather than opt out.
Well, work better in the sense of people not wanting it, not have to be involved.

Though as for working at all, just not my style,
I've a low opinion of some people on the site, and imagine it going the route of mean spirited easily.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Lemming
Thank you for your input.

I believe people are much to quick to rely on their identities to support their arguments.

I think stripping all identity from discussions makes a more focused discussion on facts and logic.

It would seem pointless to be "mean spirited" to someone you know absolutely nothing about.

And of course, invectives could still be reported as normal and actionable by the mods under their current understanding of the code-of-conduct.

I'm not proposing anyone would be able to hide their identity from the moderators.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
I suppose people often 'do get set in their appearance with other people, and play their part, 'due to expectations.
And in others, perhaps play an automatic pre recorded message of sorts. Though that's usually the people with grudges towards each other.

The point in being mean, would be the User is ill spirited towards the faceless mass, Or,
A dislike of the Identity 'associated with the image/name that they are shuffled to, or speaking to.

Some people enjoy being mean spirited 'due to anonymity,
Unshackled, freed their hidden Hyde side, lack of 'true self, shielded,
Prison guards and Sunglasses, Warriors and Battle Paint, Masks and Dark Rituals,
A different identity assumed.

. . .

Then again, as Athias mentions, domino mask at a cocktail party. Often go decent enough in real life, I'd assume.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
I don’t fancy this because I can see someone literally being the head mod while actually being a dead user who left after 2 debates. This would cause shortages in moderation as mods would be transferred to non-mods as appeared and why would people believe someone saying they are mods and nothing else.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@3RU7AL
So, I'm proposing, for maybe a week, at random, all DebateArt usernames and icons be shuffled.

I don't fancy the idea at all. I am happy with who I am.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Can I be Poly for a week?