Restrictions on Abortion

Author: thett3

Total: 329
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
Bodily autonomy is the only right actually at play here. If someone (even a born person) lives in or off of my body, I have the right to evict. Not one of us has a right to use any body other than our own without consent.
perfecto
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
No, an unfertilized egg is different from a fetus.
Obviously. However, both can exist within a uterus. The statement you questioned was fairly broad. Besides that, I don't think a woman has an obligation to a pregnancy unless it is what she wants. What anyone else wants is irrelevant.

Having two full trimesters to abort and choosing to keep it is the consent. What you’re arguing for is the right to change your mind for any reason and at any time. Which is my question…is there truly no point where the “right to choose” has been exercised? Why not? 
I take it you recognize the problem with your landlord analogies.

I have already answered a derivation of this question and my answer remains the same: Abortion during pregancy is justifiable because of self-ownership. 
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@SkepticalOne
I take it you recognize the problem with your landlord analogies.

I have already answered a derivation of this question and my answer remains the same: Abortion during pregancy is justifiable because of self-ownership.
Well I brought it up after you used the word “evict” because I think it demonstrates a point I haven’t seen you address. Here’s the argument. Bodily autonomy is ownership. Landlordism is ownership. For some forms of ownership, such as landlordism, we have a precedent for forcing people to keep their word after consent is given even if they change their mind. This is due to a balancing act between the rights and interests of both parties. Having five solid months to abort and choosing to keep the baby is giving consent.  Supporting absolute ownership rights that allow the withdraw of consent at any time for any reason without any regard to the other party for abortion only is special pleading. 

As I see it the real debate is when does a woman give consent to a pregnancy, because that is the point at which her right to choose has been exercised and the fetus has the right to exist within her. If two solid trimesters isn’t enough then clearly nothing is. But I don’t see why you have this super strict view of property rights for this and this alone
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
we have a precedent for forcing people to keep their word after consent

The 'consent' between landlord and tenant is a multi-page lease contract. This agreement is explicit, undeniable, and legally binding. The consent for an unwanted pregancy doesn't exist.

Also, we have a deterrent against breaking the agreement. You certainly can't force landlord or tenant to do anything. You can make them sorry they didn't honor their word. But, again, there is no agreement or promise for an unwanted pregnancy.

Supporting absolute ownership rights at any time for any reason for abortion only is special pleading. 
Not at all. You are comparing apples and oranges.

A landlord has no agreement with a squatter. Eviction of a squatter at any time for any reason is acceptable. A woman has no promise with an unwanted pregancy, and she, like the landlord, should, in principle, be able to end occupancy at any time for any reason.

As I see it the real debate is when does a woman give consent to a pregnancy
Ok, then I'll throw this out there: consent to sex is not consent to pregnancy.
thett3
thett3
-->
@SkepticalOne
Also, we have a deterrent against breaking the agreement. You certainly can't force landlord or tenant to do anything. You can make them sorry they didn't honor their word. But, again, there is no agreement or promise for an unwanted pregnancy
This is the disagreement. I think that having five solid months to abort and choosing not to is more than enough to give consent. At that point the interests of the other party, who will die if aborted, have long since taken moral priority. I haven’t seen any argument from you for why choosing not to abort a fetus for five, six, or seven months doesn’t qualify as consent to being pregnant 

Obviously being a landlord and being pregnant aren’t the same thing. But I’m trying to work within your moral framework of property rights which you would limit in some circumstances but not others. I’m not seeing a clear standard here 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@thett3
But I’m trying to work within your moral framework of property rights which you would limit in some circumstances [SPECIFIC EXAMPLE MISSING] but not others [SPECIFIC EXAMPLE MISSING]. I’m not seeing a clear standard here 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
I think that having five solid months to abort and choosing not to is more than enough to give consent.
If a squatter occupies a unit for 5 months, has the landlord implicitly given consent? No, of course not - her ownership of the property still holds.

I haven’t seen any argument from you for why choosing not to abort a fetus for five, six, or seven months doesn’t qualify as consent to being pregnant 
I would say that is attempting to shift the burden. If you think 5,6,7 months of pregancy equates to consent, you'll need to substantiate that position. I don't see how you can do it without diminishing self-ownership and creating special rights.

If a woman consents to sex with a partner for 5,6,7 months, does that mean she has given consent for month 8? No, of course not. It doesn't work like that.

Plus, you are discounting the fact that consent can be withdrawn. A woman can consent to sex and change her mind during the act and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Consent is conditional, provisional, subject to change.

I’m not seeing a clear standard here 
I think you mean you're not seeing your standard. I have explained how my standard is consistent for landlords and squatters or women and unwanted pregancies.
thett3
thett3
-->
@SkepticalOne
Plus, you are discounting the fact that consent can be withdrawn. A woman can consent to sex and change her mind during the act and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Consent is conditional, provisional, subject to change.
That’s not applicable because not getting to have sex with someone isn’t a harm, so of course consent can be withdrawn at any point. Moral questions are balancing acts, in the case of someone no longer wanting to have sex the other party doesn’t have a moral claim to sex. 

Breaking a lease randomly and kicking a tenant out with zero notice is a harm to them, which is why something like that is regulated. At some point, consent is given and merely changing your mind because something better comes along isn’t good enough. In the context of late term abortions of healthy fetuses for elective reasons, what happens is that the other party dies when (in America at least) they would otherwise be adopted by a family and have a good life, contribute to society etc. That’s an obvious harm, and it occurs after months and months where every single day the woman chose not to have an abortion. So the question becomes when has the right to choose been exercised? Most people would agree that there comes a point where that happens but I guess you don’t. That’s absolutely shocking to me but it probably isn’t productive to just keep going in circles since your position by now is clear 

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
Moral questions are balancing acts, in the case of someone no longer wanting to have sex the other party doesn’t have a moral claim to sex. 
No individual has a moral claim to the body of another.

Breaking a lease randomly and kicking a tenant out with zero notice is a harm to them, which is why something like that is regulated.
You keep equating pregancy to a lease agreement, but I will continue to reject that analogy until you can establish X months of pregancy somehow equates to agreement between the parties involved. 

So the question becomes when has the right to choose been exercised?
When consent to one's body is no longer necessary: birth. 
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@SkepticalOne
Exodus 21:22 is, however, a part of the Bible that actually does mention the fetus. “When people who are fighting injure a pregnant woman so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no further harm follows, the one responsible shall be fined what the woman’s husband demands, paying as much as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”
This is fascinating because it outlines specific punishments for specific crimes. If a woman is hurt in a struggle and then has a miscarriage, the penalty is a fine, a mere financial payment. But, if there is further harm, likely meaning the woman has long-term and serious injuries or even dies, then the culprit could be killed. In other words, the life and well-being of the woman, the mother, is of much greater significance than those of her unborn child.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@FLRW
The Bible has no place in a secular government so it doesn't really matter what it says. If it did the legality of abortion would be up to the ruling party's interpretation because it could just as easily support abortion as anti-abortion advocates. (But that's another debate!)

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@FLRW
Exodus 21:22 is, however, a part of the Bible that actually does mention the fetus. “When people who are fighting injure a pregnant woman so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no further harm follows, the one responsible shall be fined what the woman’s husband demands, paying as much as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”

This is fascinating because it outlines specific punishments for specific crimes. If a woman is hurt in a struggle and then has a miscarriage, the penalty is a fine, a mere financial payment. But, if there is further harm, likely meaning the woman has long-term and serious injuries or even dies, then the culprit could be killed. In other words, the life and well-being of the woman, the mother, is of much greater significance than those of her unborn child.
also notice the "payment" is determined by and is paid to the father

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
What fascinates me is how it is the left wing that is being so psychopathic and the right wing being so empathetic, considering that the mother's position is that of the merciless landlord's and fetus that of the helpless squatter in this analogy.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
The Bible has no place in a secular government so it doesn't really matter what it says.
well, except for the fact that nearly all elected officials in the united states claim to be "christian"
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
What fascinates me is how it is the left wing that is being so psychopathic and the right wing being so empathetic, considering that the mother's position is that of the merciless landlord's and fetus that of the helpless squatter in this analogy.
perhaps you'd prefer the infallible word of "YHWH" ?

also notice the "payment" is determined by and is paid to the father
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@RationalMadman
Do you think a person has a right to use your body without consent? Do you think children have a right to use their parents organs without consent? Do you think it is wrong consent is required to interact with other people? Do you think it is wrong consent can be withdrawn? Unless you answered affirmatively, you rationally understand self-ownership even if you have difficulty coming to terms with it emotionally.

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@3RU7AL
well, except for the fact that nearly all elected officials in the united states claim to be "christian"
The Bible has no *legitimate* place in a secular government. Better?
thett3
thett3
-->
@RationalMadman
It’s certainly something. The dehumanizing language like calling the fetus a parasite or talking about killing it as an “eviction” definitely upsets me but it is what it is. I don’t know  if I could ever support abortion but I understand how someone could early on. There’s this thing, it’s the size of a blueberry, it looks like an alien and isn’t conscious etc. But you can see what babies who are born at 30 weeks (who have a 99% chance of survival) look like, saying it’s okay to kill them because of the bodily autonomy of someone after months and months of not aborting is crazy to me 

Talking about third trimester abortions would be a straw man of the pro choice position anywhere else in the world but in the US there really is a core group of advocates who won’t accept even the tiniest restriction. As evidenced by this thread 
thett3
thett3
-->
@SkepticalOne
Out of curiosity how do you feel about mandating child support from fathers who want nothing to do with their child 
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Child mortality or the under-five mortality rate refers to the probability of a child dying between birth and exactly 5 years of age, expressed per 1,000 live births. In 2020, 5.0 million children under 5 years of age died. This translates to 13,800 children under the age of 5 dying every day in 2020.

Yeah, I'm real worried about fetuses.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
The Bible has no *legitimate* place in a secular government. Better?
one would imagine

and i would generally agree

but unfortunately

governments are comprised of humans

and some not insignificant percentage of those humans

seem to believe that the christian text is a good (if not the best possible) moral compass (on which to base civil code)

LAW = CODIFIED MOB RULE
thett3
thett3
-->
@FLRW
Child mortality or the under-five mortality rate refers to the probability of a child dying between birth and exactly 5 years of age, expressed per 1,000 live births. In 2020, 5.0 million children under 5 years of age died. This translates to 13,800 children under the age of 5 dying every day in 2020.

Yeah, I'm real worried about fetuses.
“You should be against protecting the vulnerable because other vulnerable people get hurt in other circumstances” brilliant post, really adds a lot to the discussion like always 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
Out of curiosity how do you feel about mandating child support from fathers who want nothing to do with their child 
I think that is a much more complex question than it seems. At first blush, it would seem fair that if women can choose abortion without any input from the father, then the father should be able to 'abort' their fatherhood without any input from the mother. That being said, the father and mother bear very different burdens financially, physically, emotionally, etc regarding bringing a child into the world. Would it really be fair to call those roles equal and scenarios each might face equal? There is an entire debate on that alone.

Before we can have that debate, we would need to settle the abortion debate and remove hurdles, hoops, and obstacles for women being able to control their future. It seems we are regressing, so it would certainly not be appropriate to have men skip while women have no choice.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@3RU7AL
You're not wrong, but I am hopeful killing Roe to satisfy religious sensibilities will bring a stronger advocacy to the separation of state and religion.
thett3
thett3
-->
@SkepticalOne
I still don’t understand your position, do you support mandatory child support or not?

To be clear, I 100% do 
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@thett3
It’s certainly something. The dehumanizing language like calling the fetus a parasite
I agree. Despite arguing in favor of the pro-choice position, I have done my best to argue against platitudes which would seek to dehumanize a zygote/embryo/fetus.

or talking about killing it as an “eviction” definitely upsets me but it is what it is.
And this is, for lack of a better term, the "disingenuity" of the pro-life/anti-abortion position. What "kills" the zygote/embryo/fetus? Is it the assumed deleterious actions of the mother and her physician, or is it the underdevelopment of the fetus that renders its survival outside its mother's womb impossible?

I don’t know  if I could ever support abortion but I understand how someone could early on.
You don't have to support abortion; you're only demanded to accept that it's not your decision.

There’s this thing, it’s the size of a blueberry, it looks like an alien and isn’t conscious etc. But you can see what babies who are born at 30 weeks (who have a 99% chance of survival) look like, saying it’s okay to kill them because of the bodily autonomy of someone after months and months of not aborting is crazy to me 
Who here has stated that it's okay to kill a 30 week fetus because of bodily autonomy?

but in the US there really is a core group of advocates who won’t accept even the tiniest restriction. As evidenced by this thread 
I ask again: when does one's body stop being one's body?

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
It is not a black and white issue to me. If abortion is banned, men should pay child support from conception (or as early as known). If abortion is not severely restricted (unlike its current status), I think there is an argument for 'abortion' of fatherhood. I am not convinced that it is a good argument, or that I will be alive at a time where it can seriously be considered. 

Right now, father's should pay child support. I would like to see father's helping with pregnancy if they aren't already.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
but in the US there really is a core group of advocates who won’t accept even the tiniest restriction.
This is disingenuous. We have accepted reasonable restrictions set by Roe for 50 years. ...It is not abortion advocates that have stacked the court for the purpose of dismantling cases for the sake of abortion restrictions.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
You're not wrong, but I am hopeful killing Roe to satisfy religious sensibilities will bring a stronger advocacy to the separation of state and religion.
fingers crossed
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
so it would certainly not be appropriate to have men skip while women have no choice.
is it perhaps a violation of self-ownership to force a man to provide a physical dna sample based on an accusation ?