Restrictions on Abortion

Author: thett3

Total: 329
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Athias
I agree. Despite arguing in favor of the pro-choice position, I have done my best to argue against platitudes which would seek to dehumanize a zygote/embryo/fetus. 
This is why I respect your position even though I completely disagree with it. While I don’t know your philosophy that well it seems like your position comes from an absolute and unwavering commitment to a principle that I don’t share. The others I’m not so sure about 

Who here has stated that it's okay to kill a 30 week fetus because of bodily autonomy?
Danielle, skepticalone, and FLRW all said they support elective abortion up until the moment of birth, oragami refused to directly state that but he said he doesn’t support any restrictions 

I ask again: when does one's body stop being one's body?
I don’t believe that it ever does stop, of course. But I am in favor of reasonable limits on what people are allowed to do with it. The view I have is that at *some point* (when is debatable) the right to choose has been exercised and we have to prioritize the right to life of the fetus. I just don’t have any sympathy for someone who had like 25 weeks to get an  abortion and didn’t 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
Right now, father's should pay child support. I would like to see father's helping with pregnancy if they aren't already.
based on what principle ?
thett3
thett3
-->
@SkepticalOne
This is disingenuous. We have accepted reasonable restrictions set by Roe for 50 years. ...It is not abortion advocates that have stacked the court for the purpose of dismantling cases for the sake of abortion restrictions
You’re being unbelievably dishonest here. We’ve been going back and forth for several pages now about abortions after the point of viability, and several others have supported your position. You’re going to deny that it’s a position held by a core group of advocates? Because that’s all I said. It’s not a straw man but a position that has to actually be engaged because people, literally including you, will argue in favor of it. 

Also nobody “stacked” the courts. As far as I know nobody added seats
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@thett3
This is why I respect your position even though I completely disagree with it. While I don’t know your philosophy that well it seems like your position comes from an absolute and unwavering commitment to a principle that I don’t share. The others I’m not so sure about
The right to oneself is fundamental, and basis to every other right. That is the reason my commitment to the principle is unwavering. Undermining the right to self, undermines every other right.

Danielle, skepticalone, and FLRW all said they support elective abortion up until the moment of birth, oragami refused to directly state that but he said he doesn’t support any restrictions 
I believe both Danielle and oromagi have both argued for some restriction, at least, when I last exchanged responses with them. But, suffices to say, they themselves would know better.

I don’t believe that it ever does stop, of course. But I am in favor of reasonable limits on what people are allowed to do with it.
If outside parties can set restrictions and limits to how they behave their body, then how is it their body?

The view I have is that at *some point* (when is debatable) the right to choose has been exercised and we have to prioritize the right to life of the fetus.
Let's indulge that the fetus has a "right to life" (I quote to suggest that interpretations of life, much more a "right to it," are various.) Why does the fetus's right to life supersede its mother's right to herself, as it concerns part of herself--namely her womb? And why is her behavior of her own womb subject to referendum, not to mention "our" priority?

I just don’t have any sympathy for someone who had like 25 weeks to get an  abortion and didn’t 
You don't have to. How you "feel" about it, or anyone else for that matter, does not disqualify her right.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@3RU7AL
is it perhaps a violation of self-ownership to force a man to provide a physical dna sample based on an accusation ?
I'm not advocating for that. I assumed the question was about known fathers.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@3RU7AL
If a woman has no choice but to bear the burden of pregnancy, then it is fair fathers should provide support. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
We’ve been going back and forth for several pages now about abortions after the point of viability, and several others have supported your position
I have stated, in principle, self ownership justifies abortion up to birth. That is not the same as 'refusing to accept even the tiniest of restrictions'. That's hyperbolic. Restrictions are literally the law of the land. Again, it is not pro-choice folks trying to abolish Roe.

Also nobody “stacked” the courts. As far as I know nobody added seats

You're right, no one has added seats, but seats have been stolen. This has the same effect even if it is not technically 'stacking the court'. Same difference.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Athias
The right to oneself is fundamental, and basis to every other right. That is the reason my commitment to the principle is unwavering. Undermining the right to self, undermines every other right.

How you "feel" about it, or anyone else for that matter, does not disqualify her right.
When I grow up I want to be as eloquent as Athias. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
If a woman has no choice but to bear the burden of pregnancy, then it is fair fathers should provide support. 
(IFF) it is considered "unfair" for a woman to be FORCED to support (gestate) a child she does not want (THEN) it is equally "unfair" for a man to be FORCED to support a child he does not want
thett3
thett3
-->
@SkepticalOne
I have stated, in principle, self ownership justifies abortion up to birth. That is not the same as 'refusing to accept even the tiniest of restrictions'. That's hyperbolic. Restrictions are literally the law of the land. Again, it is not pro-choice folks trying to abolish Roe.
The double speak is incredible. “It’s disingenuous to say that abortion up to the point of birth is a position that needs to be discussed. Yes, my position is that abortion should be legal up to the point of birth. But it’s not the law of the land (except in the states it is.) So you’re being disingenuous for discussing the position that I and at least three others have taken in this very thread” 

You're right, no one has added seats, but seats have been stolen. This has the same effect even if it is not technically 'stacking the court'. Same difference.

No seat has been “stolen.” The one being hyperbolic is you 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@3RU7AL
(IFF) it is considered "unfair" for a woman to be FORCED to support (gestate) a child she does not want (THEN) it is equally "unfair" for a man to be FORCED to support a child he does not want
Agree. I'd rather no one be forced. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@thett3
The double speak is incredible.
Clearly, you don't understand my position, and I don't understand what you think my position is.

No seat has been “stolen.” The one being hyperbolic is you 
At least 1 of those seats (if not 2) should have been chosen by Democratic presidents if Republicans weren't bending the rules purely for political gain. There's nothing hyperbolic about that. That is a different discussion though.
thett3
thett3
-->
@SkepticalOne
Clearly, you don't understand my position, and I don't understand what you think my position is
Your position is that abortion should be legal up to the moment of birth. When I told rationalmadman that talking about the legality of abortion up until birth is not a strawman because some people in America (yourself included) support that you said I was being disingenuous. 

At least 1 of those seats (if not 2) should have been chosen by Democratic presidents if Republicans weren't bending the rules purely for political gain. There's nothing hyperbolic about that. That is a different discussion though.
“Republicans won enough senate elections to take a majority and exercised that power in a way I found distasteful” is not even close to the same as saying the courts were “packed” or seats were “stolen.” Not holding a hearing for Garland was not “bending the rules” (itself a significant walk back from “stole” or “packed”) although it was a violation of an established norm. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Danielle
@thett3
@SkepticalOne
@3RU7AL
Do you think a person has a right to use your body without consent?
Yes, actually I won't tell if I have or haven't actively done it but I totally support opt-in default for using my dead body for research, even transplants if I am totally doomed, some countries only let you opt in to one of the two.

Sometimes we have to chip in for the community and betterment of others, even if we would wish otherwise.

Do you think children have a right to use their parents organs without consent?
During the time all others do it, yeah. We cannot escape biology, I even maintain the approach to not escaping biology in my approach to transgenderism so I have a lot of consistency to my outlook.

Do you think it is wrong consent is required to interact with other people?
Yes. I support forced intervention to help the hermitic suicidal and in cases of severe abuse where the victim does not consent to being saved. I have a severe outlook on it, I have no shame in it.

If someone is in agony and/or serious danger, I support forced intervention. I have no clue what your question even is.

Do you think it is wrong consent can be withdrawn?
You mean during sex? No, this is why as a fan of bdsm myself, I think even when engaging in 'normal' sex that the framework of safewords and understanding of boundaries is essential.

If you mean a contract you want out of midway, sorry but that is some tough shit unless you have a good reason for it. Go to court in that case.

Unless you answered affirmatively, you rationally understand self-ownership even if you have difficulty coming to terms with it emotionally.
The emotions matter, they are how morals are formed.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@thett3
“Republicans won enough senate elections to take a majority and exercised that power in a way I found distasteful” is not even close to the same as saying the courts were “packed” or seats were “stolen.” Not holding a hearing for Garland was not “bending the rules” (itself a significant walk back from “stole” or “packed”) although it was a violation of an established norm. 
How McConnell’s Bid to Reshape the Federal Judiciary Extends Beyond the Supreme Court

When President Trump took office, he had more than 100 vacancies to fill in the lower courts, including 17 in the U.S. courts of appeals — all of them lifetime appointments. The Supreme Court hears around 80 cases a year, while the courts of appeals handle tens of thousands of cases annually — often making them the last word in most cases that impact the lives of Americans.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@RationalMadman
Yes, actually I won't tell if I have or haven't actively done it but I totally support opt-in default for using my dead body for research, even transplants if I am totally doomed, some countries only let you opt in to one of the two
I'll just point out you're consenting to having your body used without your consent. (That would be consent).

Do you think children have a right to use their parents organs without consent?
During the time all others do it, yeah.
Did you force your dad to give a kidney when you were a toddler? What an odd answer! ;-)

Do you think it is wrong consent is required to interact with other people?
Yes. [...] I have no clue what your question even is.
I think you are confusing your personal role and the role of a governing body. You personally don't have a right to imprison someone for a crime, suicide watch, mandate taxes, etc. Your answer should be negative unless you're breaking the law on the regular.

You mean during sex? No
This is reasonable.

I think you understand legal and moral are not synonyms. 'Restrictions on abortion' has legal implications. The law should not be based on emotionality, but reason.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@SkepticalOne
Id expect my dad to do so if he wasnt a deadbeat sack of shit and his kidney was viable.

Your position is bullshit.

If one isnt willing to sacrifice one should nit go producing a human being lest one is an irresponsible dunce.

3 months thinking time is sufficient.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
my dead body
this seems like a poor example

do you perhaps have another example that involves living humans ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
The law should not be based on emotionality, but reason.
and demonstrable harm (and demonstrable harm mitigation)
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
for some more than others
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
Id expect my dad to do so if he wasnt a deadbeat sack of shit and his kidney was viable.
but should they be LEGALLY OBLIGATED ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
I'll just point out you're consenting to having your body used without your consent. (That would be consent).
"opt-in default" = "automatic consent"

(no action = consent, opt-out requires action)
thett3
thett3
-->
@Athias
The right to oneself is fundamental, and basis to every other right. That is the reason my commitment to the principle is unwavering. Undermining the right to self, undermines every other right. Let's indulge that the fetus has a "right to life" (I quote to suggest that interpretations of life, much more a "right to it," are various.) Why does the fetus's right to life supersede its mother's right to herself, as it concerns part of herself--namely her womb? And why is her behavior of her own womb subject to referendum, not to mention "our" priority?
I would agree that most rights come from self ownership or ownership as a concept. But like all rights, there are limits on how far they can go. People have compared this to property rights, but property rights are actually super complicated once a tenant gets involved, because once another person is involved there is a complicated balancing act of competing rights and interests. If a landowner allowed a tenant to live in their property for a period of time even without a lease they can't just kick them out in one day, there is a legal eviction process that must be followed that takes weeks or months. This is because our society recognizes that the rights of the landlord must be tempered with the interests of the tenant. People being thrown out on the street without due notice to find another place is bad for society. The landlord has a right to evict, but not the right to remove a tenant immediately like one would with a guest. When it comes to pregnancy, the woman has self ownership but there is another party involved who will literally die if the abortion takes place. If there is a point of long enough occupancy at which a landlord consents to undergoing a legal process for eviction if he wants to remove the tenant, there absolutely is a point in pregnancy where a woman consents to carrying the child to term. Several months is more than enough time to think on the issue.

This is just talking about it under the "property rights" framework which I don't fully agree with. I believe that parents have an obligation to their children that supersedes their other rights. The parent-child relationship is the most sacred bond in the world and it underpins every aspect of a healthy society. Parents have the right to give their children up for adoption and absolve themselves of their duties not in my view because of their "self ownership" but because usually it's the best choice for the child if they can't take care of it. It's a way of exercising that obligation by doing the best they can with limited options. The idea that a parent has the right to order their 8 month fetus to be dismembered and thrown in the trash...no way. Especially when the alternative in America, which has more families wanting to adopt infants than there are infants these days, is that the child will be raised by a loving family in a first world country. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
If you mean a contract you want out of midway, sorry but that is some tough shit unless you have a good reason for it. Go to court in that case.
many corporate contracts are not strictly "enforceable"

for example parler tried to sue amazon for dropping their hosting without warning

but apparently there was a vaguely worded clause in the contract

that allows amazon to cut service if "any customer does not adequately address concerns regarding content moderation"

which clearly could mean just about anything

and for the record

a landlord can evict any tenant at any time for "lease violation" (many of which are arbitrary, like "complaints from neighbors") without the landlord suffering any penalty - - in-fact the evicted tenant is still legally obligated to pay off any months remaining on their current (now broken) lease agreement
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@RationalMadman
If my dad were still alive, I'd expect he would donate a kidney if I needed it, but I certainly wouldn't want to force his (potentially life-threatening) donation. What I want and what is required by government should not necessarily be the same thing.

Your position is bullshit.
Hard to argue with such an eloquent and well thought out rebuttal. ;-)

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@SkepticalOne
If you don't want a law based on morality, our positions are more different than I could begin to reconcile.

I will maybe get to 3ruta7's replies later, being spammed is rarely pleasant.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
If you don't want a law based on morality, our positions are more different than I could begin to reconcile.
unfortunately not everyone agrees on exactly what "morality" is supposed to mean
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@3RU7AL
unfortunately not everyone agrees on exactly what "morality" is supposed to mean
Yes, the Inca's for example.  The Inca's sacrificed children to their Gods.  Child sacrifice in the Incan Empire was performed as part of the capacocha ritual. Children were chosen because they were thought to be the purest of society, therefore the best people to offer to the gods.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@RationalMadman
My morality or yours? You speak as if morality is absolute and universal. I don't find that to be the case.

I would much rather laws be based on what demonstrably does the most good. The only thing abortion restrictions tend to do is make abortions more unsafe. Is that moral? Abortions are going to happen regardless. If people are concerned about the overall health and well-being of our society they should concern themselves with legal regulated abortions done by licensed individuals, comprehensive sex education, free/low cost birth control, etc., etc. Abortion restrictions is a misguided attempt to address a perceived problem in the most useless and performative way.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

GOD: The Inca's are really stupid, but they LOVE me!

TRUMP: The Repbulicans are really stupid, but they LOVE me!