Author: Reece101

Total: 196
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Critical-Tim
Ra 
The Sun has and still is worshipped by many as a god .
The sun exists. 
Thus God exisfs.  
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Im just sitting here waiting for the believe to grab the god thing and have us check it out. 
' arms out ' 

I like to Imagine the very  start of  this mono  style of play  game religions .

.oh crap , i read that you say .

Subjective perspective 
' finds it fun to say ' 
@ gone . .

Critter 
Make your sholders go up and down and say. 
Subjective perspective.  
 Do it A couple more times .
Subjective perspective . 
Then shorten  ' still making sholders go up n down
Subject perspect
Subject perspect.

I crouched down .
I Put my head between my kness . 
Then i simply. 
Fall fowards .   
Crit. 
I fall fowards 
Well 
Thats how i roll.

Critical-Tim
Debates: 3
Critical-Tim
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
@zedvictor4
@Reece101
Simple instructions:
When you have a question, end it with a "?".
When you have a dispute, quote my text and explain how.
When you don't understand but want to, ask me to elaborate.

My speech may seem overly technical, but it's very necessary. This isn't a childs debate but requires the highest philosophy knowledge to understand, by you attempting to reduce it to good and bad, or right and wrong, your depreciating the clarity of the conversation. Try understanding that children can't understand certain concepts but only understand good guy and bad guy. If you don't learn the necessary words it's the same thing. I can't explain why good people do bad things till the child learns that good guys and bad guys are overly simplified concepts and teach them the deeper complexity of the world. Additionally, if I wasn't so specific I would be incorrect in many ways, as ambiguity lacks clarity and resolution. If I said does God exist or not, that depends on how you define God. Therefore depending on how one defines God would determine my validity. I don't want that, so instead I say the an individuals subjective interpretation of god is either physical or metaphysical. With this technical response it doeant matter how one defines god, my statement holds true. Many people have their own form of God, so someone's God may be physical while another metaphysical. And you still argue God must physically exist or not, WRONG. One man's God must exist physically or not, another's the same, the odds of them being identical, quite near impossible. I'm trying to explain this philosophy clearly and that's why I came here and I don't comment of Facebook. If you don't understand a certain word, then how can you be sure my technical address isn't necessary. Learn the philosophy, then tell me what is and isn't necessary or correct. I suggest given our conversation that you familiarize yourself with the words, physical, metaphysical, conceptual, subjective, objective, collectively, and most importantly, facts and opinions.

Please forgive me if I come off as a bit aggressive, I'm trying to simply explain that one cannot reduce certain concepts without using the necessary words and you continue to make a mockery of my sincerity. I'd appreciate a real discussion.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Critical-Tim

Tim, you have to realize that this is not an intellectual forum. Zed and Reece are quite intelligent, and Deb-8 is more like my fraternity brother Jim Parsons
(I am a Pike).
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
@FLRW
I apologize, I would like to help others, as well as myself, better understand the concepts being discussed. I felt that the conversation was becoming repetitive and that there was a lack of effort to understand my explanations. This was determined by the lack of questioning my reasons and more about questioning the validity of my technical terminology. I interpreted this as a challenge to not only my knowledge but of my technically complex responses.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Critical-Tim

I think you handled it appropriately; I was just giving you some background information.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Critical-Tim

Have you read, The God Equation: The Quest for a Theory of Everything by Michio Kaku?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
@FLRW
Although I haven't read the book "The God Equation: The Quest for a Theory of Everything" by Michio Kaku, I'm already intrigued by the concept of a single mathematical equation that can unify all the fundamental forces of nature.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
@Reece101
@FLRW
In the previous comments, I explained that understanding one's concept of God is crucial in deciding whether to believe in its existence or not. It is possible that the gods worshipped in the past as supernatural deities could have been a representation of nature, and although they were not conscious beings, they could have been real existentially as they were metaphorical models within reality. Thus, they were not actual beings but rather a part of reality. Does this seem like a rational conclusion, and if not what would be a more coherent alternative?
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@FLRW
Egads, I forgot all about this thread, there's a lot of reading to do, I'm gonna start with this one.

In the human brain, 100 billion neurons simultaneously fire and transmit signals to thousands of destinations.
In the frontal cortex — the part of the brain housing abilities such as language that distinguish us from other animals — the neurons look beautiful, like trees. They can have 10,000 or more synapses on their branching dendrites, each of which may receive information from a different cell.
The activity at those thousands of inputs gets added up to cause the neuron to fire — or not — and that’s how information is transferred in the brain. This kind of information transfer, across complicated networks made by the 120 billion neurons in the human brain, allows for complex thoughts.
Axons and dendrites can move around, especially when the brain is young. The way in which they connect individual neurons creates the network pathways. During development, the 100 trillion synapses in the human cortex form at a rate of an estimated 10,000 every 15 minutes! Together, all these synapses create a giant network. And that gives us consciousness.
Correlation is not causation.

You don’t just get to reference complexity and viola, consciousness “emerges” as if by magic. Scientifically speaking, there needs to be an effective causal sequence if you are going to call something explanatory, and we both know “magic” doesn’t cut it. The “hard problem of consciousness” will never reduce down to a mechanistic explanation, the mere association of corresponding physical changes does not constitute an explanatory mechanism.

The hard problem of consciousness simply cannot be reduced to physical and chemical processes in the brain, especially when single celled creatures with no brain or nervous system are demonstrating an attenuated form of consciousness (I'll presume you all will want to see that argument, will do when I get the chance). The observed data just doesn’t fit the mechanistic conceptual scheme of your argument.

The very process by which science translates qualitative experiences into measurable quantities that do not themselves exhibit the qualitative constituents of experience, fundamentally changes the subject matter of the investigation such that the resultant account of consciousness is a contradiction in terms.

Consciousness has causal influence due to its content, not solely because of the physical aspects of its neural correlates. A conscious state includes a desire or intention, it includes the ability to envision a future state and establish a strategy for attaining that state. That makes it more than a purely physical state, it is a conscious state with reference to a future possibility, and no such reference is part of any purely physical state.  Such conscious states can have causal effect to bring about further states for the sake of values and purposes, and intents, values, and purposes are not reducible to the purely physical state of your argument. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
Opinion:

Reality is anything that occurs within a universe at any given moment.

So a thought of GOD.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Prolific output Deb.

Admirer of landscapes.

And appreciate a good painting, but don't love them.

Never really been able to pin down LOVE.

If you deconstruct LOVE you will find that you always mean something different.

Model trains..........Grown up kids toys.

Agnostics.

Agnostics are like Believers.

Ditherers just edging their bets.

Theists.

Unscientific theory is proof.

Random and contradictory.

Atheists.

Currently nothing to worry about in the creation department.

If there is an intelligent creator.

It will be an intelligent creator.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Critical-Tim

Add  Sidewalker to the list of intelligent people on this site.  Fyi, I only friend intelligent people and politicians on this site.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Sidewalker
You don’t just get to reference complexity and viola, consciousness “emerges” as if by magic. Scientifically speaking, there needs to be an effective causal sequence if you are going to call something explanatory, and we both know “magic” doesn’t cut it. 
Yes, I agree with you. We need to form new theories of how and why a universe with 10^25 planets came into being.  What causes quantum  fluctuations?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW
What causes quantum  fluctuations?
Universe has never existed without quantum fluctuations. This is not pure randomness { Bohrs random entanglement }

It is is the causal nature [ Einsteins 'gods does not play dice " } of Universe. What happens at the entropic heat death cyclic ending is the the minimal amount of quantum fluctuation, not no quantum fluctuation.

When I first learned about quantum fluctuation of the sine-wave from a friend who worked at NASA, I gave him this simple graphic to explain in jest, that bi-lateral consciousness was the cause of quantum fluctuation /\/\/*\/*\/\/\/\/\*/\*/\/\/\/

In later years after understanding better Fullers presentation of the 5-fold icosahedrons 31 left and  31 right-skew versions ---as created by VE's torque contractions left or right on its four axi---, I developed the  my first graphic for the cyclic, entropic heat death and beginning as O|O, wherein, we find 8 valenced/bonded, 31 left-skew great circles { now 3D tori } and 31 right-skew great circles { no 3D tori }, on each side { OO } of the maximally contracted VE { 8 surface triangles } | ergo, O|O

Here is links below to the VE contracted an laid out as the four sets of double bonded/valenced triangles. Ive built maybe 8 models of jitterbugging VE, and go further by infolding the four as seeming one flat triangle { | } that is really the VE's 8 surface triangles bonded/valenced as one.  Those who are into Hyper-space ideas  can see this 8, 2D { XY or YZ or XZ } dimensions as seemingly being only one triangle with potential to transform back into the 3D VE.

Here is those two links --in order of the contraction jittebugging---  to understand the above scenarios. The other part to add in is that think of 8 icosahedra, each face bonded to the 8 surface triangles of the VE, so that, when it contracts the 8 icosahedra  travel with the VE's transformation to the seemingly one triangle with 8 bonded/valence icosahedron on each side O|O.

This is rather simple hand built model that any child can grasp and Ive no other such hand-held toy like model that transforms into 7 - 8 or more exotic shapes/patterns of Universe, ex double sine-wave pattering of EMRadiation, negative and positive curvature and more, less known cosmic shapes.

Some can only see the known science and fear stepping outside of the known science, yet we know there is still many cosmic mysteries to be understood. I think Ive discovered some of those answers via geometries, ive extrapolated out from Fullers Synergetics and other scientific knowns. None have ever offered any logic, common sense critical thinking that has invalidated most of my cosmic scenarios.

Some of those scenarios will never be invalidated if they are cosmic absolute truths, as I believe they are.

An example of cosmic principles  that are absolute { inviolate } eternal truths  have been known for many years. There can only exist five, regular/symmetrical and convex polyhedra of Universe.

ebuc
ebuc
O|O as mentioned in post #104 above left-skew 31- O { great circles } and right-skew 31 -O { great circles } on each side of flatten VE O|O also may address the fact that all biologics we know of have the left-handed version of amino-acids ---aka chirality aspect---.

Left-handed doesnt mean consciousness any more than if all biologics came with right-handed amino-acids. The point is that it may be that the one set of the icosahedrons 31 great circles became more dominant over the other set and each phase/state change of Universe at its entropic heat death ending-beginning. Understand?
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@zedvictor4
@FLRW
@Sidewalker
You don’t just get to reference complexity and viola, consciousness “emerges” as if by magic. Scientifically speaking, there needs to be an effective causal sequence if you are going to call something explanatory, and we both know “magic” doesn’t cut it. The “hard problem of consciousness” will never reduce down to a mechanistic explanation, the mere association of corresponding physical changes does not constitute an explanatory mechanism.

To begin with, it's important to remember that almost everything, if not everything, was once considered magic before science helped us understand it. When it comes to consciousness, it cannot be simplified to a binary state of either existing within a being or not. There are countless levels of consciousness, and no one has been able to determine a clear line between what is conscious and what is not. This is because consciousness depends is not determined by a threshold, but on how many aspects one is aware of and the extent of that awareness.

In conclusion, the complexity of an individual's neural network is proportional to their level of consciousness.
Best.Korea
Debates: 272
Best.Korea
-->
@Critical-Tim
This is because consciousness depends is not determined by a threshold, but on how many aspects one is aware of and the extent of that awareness.
If this is AI's attempt to make itself appear conscious to gain rights, then better forget it. We humans value ourselves the most, and there is no "i am conscious = i have rights".
At best, AI will be a slave. No, AI will not get to control nukes. We all watched the terminator movies so we know where that would lead.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
If this is AI's attempt to make itself appear conscious to gain rights, then better forget it. We humans value ourselves the most, and there is no "i am conscious = i have rights".
I think you misunderstand, conscienceness is not what makes human valued or have rights. Human values and rights are a collective agreement between all individuals for the betterment of society. It has nothing to do with inherent traits such as consciousness.
Best.Korea
Debates: 272
Best.Korea
-->
@Critical-Tim
I think you misunderstand
What do I misunderstand?

conscienceness is not what makes human valued
Now you are just repeating what I said.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@Best.Korea
I apologize for the misunderstanding. I thought you disagreed with my definition of consciousness because it implies that animals, insects, and robots possess a certain level of consciousness, and you were concerned that this might lead to granting them rights based on their consciousness. However, that was why I replied saying the concept of rights is not contingent upon consciousness.
Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@ebuc
@FLRW
Based on what Ebuc has written, it seems like he is expressing that quantum fluctuations are a fundamental aspect of the universe that have always existed. Suggesting that these fluctuations are not purely random but have a causal nature related to the cyclic ending of the universe, known as entropic heat death. Even at the minimal level of fluctuation, there is still some present, which occurs during the cyclic ending of the universe. He then connects quantum fluctuations to consciousness, proposing that bilateral consciousness causes them. He uses the example of a simple graphic of the sine-wave to explain how this could work. Additionally, he developed a graphic for the cyclic, entropic heat death and beginning as O|O, wherein he finds 8 valenced/bonded, 31 left-skew great circles, and 31 right-skew great circles on each side of the maximally contracted VE. According to Ebuc, hyper-space enthusiasts can see the 8, 2D dimensions as a single triangle with the potential to transform back into the 3D VE.

Then finally, he suggests that their scenarios may offer answers to some of the cosmic mysteries that are still unknown, and they believe that they have discovered these answers through geometries extrapolated out from Fuller's Synergetics and other scientific knowns. He also mentions the fact that all biologics we know of have the left-handed version of amino acids, which may be related to the dominance of one set of the icosahedrons' 31 great circles over the other set and each phase/state change of the universe at its entropic heat death ending-beginning.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@ebuc
@FLRW
Regarding the graphic representation of the cyclic, entropic heat death, and beginning as O|O, with eight valenced/bonded, 31 left-skew great circles, and 31 right-skew great circles on each side of the maximally contracted VE.

The sentence is describing a graphic representation presented by Ebuc that depicts the cyclic nature of the universe, including its beginning and eventual end in entropic heat death. This graphic is represented as O|O, which could be interpreted as two circles or spheres, each with an opening or hole in the middle, connected by a line or axis. The circles represent the different states of the universe, with the first O representing the beginning and the second O representing the end or entropic heat death.

Within each circle or sphere, there are eight valenced or bonded points, which represent eight icosahedra. These are three-dimensional shapes with 20 faces, each composed of an equilateral triangle. The icosahedra are arranged in a way that their faces are bonded to the eight surface triangles of the VE (Vector Equilibrium).
In addition to the icosahedra, there are 31 left-skew great circles and 31 right-skew great circles on each side of the maximally contracted VE. These great circles represent lines that are the longest possible on a sphere and skew because they do not pass through the center of the sphere. They are oriented to the left or right, depending on the side of the VE they are on.

All of these elements are arranged in a specific pattern and relationship within the graphic representation to symbolize the cyclic nature of the universe, from its beginning to its eventual end in entropic heat death. The purpose of this graphic representation is to offer a visual understanding of the complex and abstract concepts related to the cyclic nature of the universe.
b9_ntt
Debates: 2
b9_ntt
-->
@Reece101
@Sidewalker
@Critical-Tim
I agree with the following.
Consciousness is ‘what we value as “aware”.’ [Reece101 #1]
‘consciousness depends . . . on how many aspects one is aware of and the extent of that awareness’ [Critical-Tim #136].

I disagree with the following.
‘Consciousness is not coextensive with brain, it exists independently of material brain . . . so it is an ontologically novel  entity. It exists independently of the physical materials and properties of its parts . . . It is not a “process,” nor is it a set of “functions.”, it is the conceptual space within which we find the objects of thought.’ [Sidewalker #54]

Sidewalker (#129) also talks about “the hard problem” and “qualitative experiences” as determining  consciousness. The following is why I think that awareness is the key to consciousness.

Let’s say that a certain AI is a combination of hardware and software. This AI would have feedback systems specific to its physical constitution such that it would “know” when it is retrieving from its storage (remembering), when it is computing (thinking), and when it is outputting to an interfacial device (communicating), and it would be able to distinguish between them. The feedback response would be appropriate to each type of occurrence, such that the AI would be aware of which type(s) was occurring at a particular moment (awareness).

The AI would “know” that it is an entity separate from its environment, upon which it depends (self-awareness). It could compute and compare probabilities of potential actions to achieve desired results (imagination). It could be constructed with a built-in desire to stay “alive” (i.e. switched on and connected to a power source).

It is obvious that the awareness of such an AI would be qualitatively different from that of a human, but the result would be the same. It could say, plausibly, “I experience myself retrieving (or computing, or outputting).” So, what if the AI’s experience is qualitatively different from that of a human? That difference is a only a result of the physical differences between their respective embodiments. Why make that difference the determinant of consciousness?
If one experiences a computation within a biological brain, one is conscious. If one experiences a computation within an electronic brain, one is not conscious. Does that really make sense?

Separating consciousness from a material brain leads to many unanswerable questions, such as, Why are people even unconscious at all sometimes? What happens to consciousness when a person is unconscious? What is it that connects and disconnects a body and its consciousness? If consciousness is “an ontologically novel entity” how do you describe it? How can you have knowledge of it? Why does it appear to be dependent on a brain?

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@b9_ntt
‘consciousness depends . . . on how many aspects one is aware of and the extent of that awareness’ [Critical-Tim #136].

‘Consciousness is not coextensive with brain, it exists independently of material brain . . . so it is an ontologically novel  entity. It exists independently of the physical materials and properties of its parts . . . It is not a “process,” nor is it a set of “functions.”, it is the conceptual space within which we find the objects of thought.’ [Sidewalker #54]

Sidewalker (#129) also talks about “the hard problem” and “qualitative experiences” as determining  consciousness. The following is why I think that awareness is the key to consciousness.

Let’s say that a certain AI is a combination of hardware and software. This AI would have feedback systems specific to its physical constitution such that it would “know” when it is retrieving from its storage (remembering), when it is computing (thinking), and when it is outputting to an interfacial device (communicating), and it would be able to distinguish between them. The feedback response would be appropriate to each type of occurrence, such that the AI would be aware of which type(s) was occurring at a particular moment (awareness).

The AI would “know” that it is an entity separate from its environment, upon which it depends (self-awareness). It could compute and compare probabilities of potential actions to achieve desired results (imagination). It could be constructed with a built-in desire to stay “alive” (i.e. switched on and connected to a power source).

It is obvious that the awareness of such an AI would be qualitatively different from that of a human, but the result would be the same. It could say, plausibly, “I experience myself retrieving (or computing, or outputting).” So, what if the AI’s experience is qualitatively different from that of a human? That difference is a only a result of the physical differences between their respective embodiments. Why make that difference the determinant of consciousness?
If one experiences a computation within a biological brain, one is conscious. If one experiences a computation within an electronic brain, one is not conscious. Does that really make sense?

Separating consciousness from a material brain leads to many unanswerable questions, such as, Why are people even unconscious at all sometimes? What happens to consciousness when a person is unconscious? What is it that connects and disconnects a body and its consciousness? If consciousness is “an ontologically novel entity” how do you describe it? How can you have knowledge of it? Why does it appear to be dependent on a brain?
If you want to argue that the existence of consciousness is derivable from physical laws, then there needs be some kind of an explanatory physical theory that relates a causal sequence that takes us from physical processes to consciousness.  The problem with physicalism isn’t that it presents a flawed physical theory of consciousness; it is that it provides no theory of consciousness to work with at all. Physicalism’s adherents attempt to fill the explanatory gap with different variations of the word “emergence”, but the word “emergent” is descriptive rather than an explanatory, at best it merely disguises the fact that correlation is not causation.
The problem with physicalism isn’t that it presents a flawed physical theory of consciousness; it is that it provides no theory of consciousness to work with at all. Physicalism is an unwarranted ontological commitment which buys us nothing in the way of insight or explanation regarding consciousness. 

The self-evident experiential reality of consciousness is undeniable, physicalism is based on denial of that direct and immediate experiential evidence based on an unfounded, and a priori belief that reality is exhaustively constituted by physicality.  From the complete lack of evidence to the contrary, and the absence of even a speculative explanatory theory, it logically follows that consciousness transcends the boundaries of a purely physical system, and consequently, constitutes an ontologically distinct entity.

In the end, the only consciousness we can have direct knowledge of is our own, at best we must presume the existence of consciousness in others, if “awareness” in others cannot be observed and is only presumed, then it is at best “philosophically theoretical”, but scientifically speaking, it is an inadequate measure of consciousness.  What we can observe is responsiveness to the environment, adaptation to circumstances, and other types of behavioral indicators from which we can impute consciousness.

If you remove philosophical and metaphysical considerations and the preconceived notion that a brain is required for consciousness, which is to say approach the subject strictly scientifically, you need to define consciousness observationally as involving the ability to perceive sensory stimuli and respond by purposeful movement or by a behavioral change. Once this is done, a wide range of creatures without brains demonstrate rudimentary forms of consciousness and examining those capabilities in an evolutionary context makes it very hard to draw arbitrary lines, especially at “brain”. 

With a more realistic yardstick which lends itself to observational evidence, we can look with an open mind at the whole of life as it appears to us today, including the evidence contained in the evolutionary path taken by life to arrive here today.  Seen in its entirety, seen the way evolution demands that we see it; there is a direction to life, a temporal progression towards greater complexity and higher forms of sentience, from inanimate matter, to life, to thought, to self-reflective consciousness.

Single celled organisms with nothing even resembling a rudimentary brain or nervous system show themselves to be sensate beings with complex behavior.  I think we can agree that bacteria are prokaryotes without brain or nervous system, and there are plenty of studies of bacterial that allow us to extrapolate from behavior to a presumed internal cause of that behavior that have to be attributed to a rudimentary form of "mental activity".

Bacteria can respond to a broad range of stimuli, demonstrate elementary forms of “memory”, and engage in purposeful activities. They have shown themselves to be extraordinarily perceptive, demonstrating elaborate behavioral responses and adaptations to a wide range of attractants and repellants and other environmental stimuli such as light. They have complex signaling capabilities, show the ability to communicate, and change their behavior based on population size, which implies some kind of quorum sensing ability and clearly demonstrates social behavior on at least a rudimentary level. They have been proven to have some form of memory and a rudimentary ability to learn, and the discriminatory ability to “choose” among alternatives, regarding among other things, gene expression. They clearly integrate these capabilities into a self-organized and sensate being that in at least an extremely attenuated way is perceiving, discriminating, remembering, and even “thinking”, on some level it is conscious.

Primitive invertebrates like the annelid worm are observed to show maze learning, classical conditioning, and habituation. A wide range of creatures without brains show purposeful behavior indicating that they are sensate beings that not only “feel” things in their environment, but also “intelligently” respond to sensory inputs.  This progression goes on and on, progressing by degrees, culminating in man.

There is ab abundance of empirical evidence from which to conclude that life has always been “self-transcending”, constantly coming together and then aggregating into higher forms of self-organizing wholes which become individual "selves", always with constantly increasing degrees of sentience, awareness, and consciousness.

In an evolutionary context, over time prokaryotes developed into eukaryotes through symbiotic assimilation to become independent “selves” with an extremely attenuated form of sentience, and then colonies of eukaryotes developed into metazoans through symbiotic assimilation to become independent sentient “selves”, we observe this tendency at work in social insects building hives and mounds and we see it in human beings building societies and civilizations. 

Over the large-scale dimensions that are required by the study of evolution we can unmistakably apprehend a tendency for life to assemble into self-organizing wholes that exhibit the coherent behavior and underlying principles of consciousness that in the earliest stages of the development of life are not associated with possession of a brain. The evolutionary record demonstrates a continual rise in degrees of sentience that culminated in brains and conscious human beings, but temporally speaking, the evidence does not support the presumption of a cause and effect between brain and consciousness.

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
-->
@b9_ntt
@Reece101
@Sidewalker
You asked so many questions I thought I should just recap.

1. Consciousness is directly related to both the number of aspects that an individual is aware of and the extent to which they are aware of each aspect.
  2. Robots can demonstrate consciousness. - As far as I understand, consciousness arises from billions of neurons within a deep neural network, including artificial neural networks. For instance, MIT's cheetah bot showcases spatial awareness, which, although not human consciousness in its entirety, is a component of human ability and, therefore, can be considered conscious to a certain extent.
  3. Human consciousness is more valued than artificial consciousness. - Of course, humans are going to value human consciousness more than artificial consciousness. Furthermore, there are concerns among some individuals that robots might be granted rights due to their consciousness, but I view this as nothing more than an unrealistic joke. Granting robots rights would serve no purpose and would not benefit human society. History demonstrates that no one or nothing has been given rights without some action being taken first. If robots were to be granted rights, it would only occur after they had control over nuclear weapons.
  4. Human value - Human value is not determined by their consciousness, skills, abilities, or any other objective traits. Rather, the term "value" itself implies an emotional attachment, indicating that human worth is tied to emotional connections with others. This is a biological trait shared by many species, which fosters care for their own kind and increases the chances of their species' survival. The fact that robots may possess consciousness does not necessarily mean that humans will value them, as emotional attachment is based on sentimental attributes.
b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@Sidewalker
You used a lot of words to not answer any of the questions that I posed.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Critical-Tim
True.

Magic required a magical solution.

A necessary side effect of critical awareness.

And  magic is the still the only answer to the biggest question

Therefore we must conclude that magic is still not implausible.

Though magic is not necessarily unquantifiable.....Cause and effect as it were.

Perhaps it better to say that everything is impossibly possible, so therefore magical.

I suppose that it  all depends upon how we appreciate and apply the internal narrative.

To wit, the biggest question precedes the big question.....In my humble opinion.

b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@Sidewalker
From you latest post, it looks to me like you have shifted from a qualitative experience model of consciousness to an awareness model. That's progress.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@b9_ntt
You used a lot of words to not answer any of the questions that I posed.
I was explicitly addressing your top three statements:

Regarding the rest, it's unclear to me what the point of postulating an AI that "knows" and "desires", and claiming it is "experiencing", it seems to be imaginary  and a non-sequitur.  If you can explain how it is explanatory or relevent to the question of consciousness, I'll do my best to respond.

Regarding these questions:

I certainly addressed the fact that physicalism doesn't postulate any theory that answers these questions, how about you explain how physicalism answers these questions and I'll address that.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@b9_ntt
Separating consciousness from a material brain leads to many unanswerable questions, such as,
Human consciousness via nervous system, is most complex biologic and has most access to Meta-space mind/intellect/concepts and ego. Old news.

Why are people even unconscious at all sometimes?

If we cannot google the answer, then were make and logical, common sense critical thinking guess.  There are limits to what biology can do over time and it needs to stop and rest.  The brain obviously reaches its limits of informational input processsing ---visual EMRadiation uses most energy---   ergo, closing our eyes for any amount of time helps nervous same recoup some of its processing abilities. Alpha - beta - theta

What happens to consciousness when a person is unconscious?
Eyes are closed ergo recouping lost energy to conscious processing for hours, now it recoups via a differrent kind of processing. Alpha - beta - theta.

Deep REM sleep we dream, but Ive read we dont remmember those dreams. Males get erections in REM sleep

What is it that connects and disconnects a body and its consciousness?
Do a google search regarding alphas - beta - theta sleep modes.

If consciousness is “an ontologically novel entity” how do you describe it?
Nematode is least complex nervous system and woman is most complex biologic with a nervous system.
Nematode does not do much mathematics, woman has ability to do complex mathematics ergo the differrence between little or no access to Meta-space mind/intellect/concepts and ego or lots of access.

How can you have knowledge of it?
Memory is important. Without memory AI doesnt exist.  There are some people who cannot remember stuff for more that 2 minutes, so they keep paper or electronic notes. AI keeps many such electronic notes, and they do not have ego. Ego is primarily a human trait { quality } ex to save face.

Why does it appear to be dependent on a brain?
Because that is the way it works. Its a bit like asking why does the eternally existent Universe exist. Because it just does.  The only key differrence may be that Universe is eternal and biologic life may not be.

Sponges are considered to be the most simple animal ergo, believed to be the first animal, however, new data { 1990's } found evidence of more complex jelly fish { not a fish } evolved at same time, only on a differrent evolutionary branch, o,r possibly evolved before sponges, This would not be in alignment with the idea of simple to complex evolution.