Update Regarding President Airmax1227 (10/12/22)

Author: Vader

Total: 81
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
I’m gonna be honest, I didn’t support 3RU7AL cause of his username. It takes so long to type, I’m like nah
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
The president's job is essentially an advisory role, which has no authority or leverage to dictate moderator actions. I still don't understand the reason to this day there are still those who are overestimating the function of this office.
exactly
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@ILikePie5
It takes so long to type, I’m like nah
So, like, when you vote for political candidates do you bother to read anything past the letter in parentheses? Or is it, like, nah?
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
Ehyeh, I am already hassled by people like you. Nasty people exist regardless of one's rank on a website.

They also get to participate if they obey the rules.

We are all villains in someone's story by the age of at least around 15 and onwards.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Public-Choice
So, like, when you vote for political candidates do you bother to read anything past the letter in parentheses? Or is it, like, nah?
The letter comes after their name I think 
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
Disappointed in Airmax. If he couldn't commit to what he was signing up for, he should've said so. Ah, it was my own fault for voting for him. Airmax had no prior investment in the site, 3RU7AL did. That should've told me what I needed to know.
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Castin
It really is a shame. The guy was a great mod on DDO; he was very dedicated to his work. To me, it seems the spambot attack of 2018 destroyed his motivation to keep modding the site. With that part of his life basically over, he seemed to dislike the idea of having anything to do with being on a site like it again.

This story is from my flawed memory, so bear with me here:

I reached out to him on DDO (still 2018) shortly after I discovered everyone moved to DART. I asked him if he wanted to move over to DART as well, and he said he was not interested. In short, he just didn't care. In the aftermath, he was just going to observe DDO occasionally without modding it until he lost interest in doing so.

Some time later, a user named SeaShelli, an IRL friend of Airmax, appeared on DART hoping their presence would encourage Airmax to join the site. Instead, someone made an account impersonating Airmax for a joke. Kinda funny, actually. The account was banned, and we never found out who made the account. There was a prominent theory, but there's no way of knowing anything for sure.

Fast forward to Airmax's actual first post on the site, and it looks like he has a renewed interest in the community. Knowing how good he was at being a mod on DDO, old users including myself supported his presidential campaign on this site and he got elected. His campaign even attracted other old DDO users to DART, some of which were users that quit DDO before I joined in 2016. Sadly, he never did anything after that (and those old members disappeared again), which leads us to the present where he has been justifiably removed from office.

There's a lesson in all of this: When someone loses interest in something, they are incredibly unlikely to regain it for longer than a moment. Some will say you can't blame us for being hopeful, but I disagree. We should've seen it coming. Everyone was so focused on a Michael Jordan-esque comeback story that they forgot about the possibility of a Brett Farve-esque comeback story. Or a Michael Jordan-esque comback story, Wizards edition. Not a perfect comparison, but I hope you get the point.

I think it has to do with a desire old members tend to have. They desire a culture that was closer to the old DDO, where there was more discussion and less flaming. There was drama, of course, but much more of the time seemed to be spent organizing tournaments, playing mafia games, or joking around in forums. Even the discussions were better. There was a time on DDO when the Religion forum was the only toxic forum. Political polarization in society then led to the Political forum being corrupted as well, eventually to the point where DART's Politics forum got to the sad state it is now. The Main forum on DART has a history of drama and flame wars, which is something I rarely saw on DDO.

I was never there for DDO's best days, but I'd like to think I at least saw glimpses of it. Glimpses that are incredibly faint now as I look at this site. Perhaps that's what the members who were active during DDO's best days thought, at around when I joined the site. I remember DDO members in 2016 calling DDO a "dead site." Funny, huh?

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Castin
I was somewhat more disillusioned with some of the reasons for the votes cast by some of the members and moderators. Member(s)/Moderators were citing Airmax's moderator experience for a role that did not include a moderator's capacity. I can understand wanting to bring Airmax into the fold in a reduced capacity, but for one who has expressed little interest in this site--DART that is--his late bid, at least in my opinion, was nothing short of a nepotistic attempt to shoehorn him in. There are many reasons to which one can allude for DDO's past popularity: (1) fewer online debate platforms, (2) higher attention spans, (3) a younger membership who had little to no work and/or family obligations, (4) members having little to no prior experience with other members before joining the site, so forth and so on. I honestly think it's a fool's errand to try and recreate DDO (though I understand the irony in that DART is essentially a recreation of DDO.) Perhaps the focus of the site's brass should be placed more on member satisfaction and not alienating members on abstract interpretations of the rules. As opposed to seeking out an old friend and stating, "make our community popular, again," the site can focus on expanding the scope of options members here can control how they interact with others. I think there is no one more fit to advise the moderators on these aforementioned prospects than 3RU7AL.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Mharman
Fast forward to Airmax's actual first post on the site, and it looks like he has a renewed interest in the community. Knowing how good he was at being a mod on DDO, old users including myself supported his presidential campaign on this site and he got elected. His campaign even attracted other old DDO users to DART, some of which were users that quit DDO before I joined in 2016. Sadly, he never did anything after that (and those old members disappeared again), which leads us to the present where he has been justifiably removed from office.

There's a lesson in all of this: When someone loses interest in something, they are incredibly unlikely to regain it for longer than a moment. Some will say you can't blame us for being hopeful, but I disagree. We should've seen it coming. Everyone was so focused on a Michael Jordan-esque comeback story that they forgot about the possibility of a Brett Farve-esque comeback story. Or a Michael Jordan-esque comback story, Wizards edition. Not a perfect comparison, but I hope you get the point.

I think it has to do with a desire old members tend to have. They desire a culture that was closer to the old DDO, where there was more discussion and less flaming. There was drama, of course, but much more of the time seemed to be spent organizing tournaments, playing mafia games, or joking around in forums. Even the discussions were better. There was a time on DDO when the Religion forum was the only toxic forum. Political polarization in society then led to the Political forum being corrupted as well, eventually to the point where DART's Politics forum got to the sad state it is now. The Main forum on DART has a history of drama and flame wars, which is something I rarely saw on DDO.
Yeah, DDO veterans spun such a good yarn about the golden age of DDO I guess I found myself wishing it could to some degree be recreated here if Airmax was an active presence on the site. Should've guessed Airmax's interest could not be so easily rekindled.

During max's presidential race, the activity I saw from those older DDO users made me hopeful we'd get some more regulars around here. It was one reason I thought he might be capable of reinvigorating DART. Alas.
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Castin
Yeah. As much as I’d love to experience that culture in its complete form, I just don’t think it’s going to happen.

I suppose we can try to make what we can here. I’ll try to start something as soon as I get more free time. Not a campaign, though. I have no desire to run for anything here.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Athias
I was somewhat more disillusioned with some of the reasons for the votes cast by some of the members and moderators. Member(s)/Moderators were citing Airmax's moderator experience for a role that did not include a moderator's capacity. I can understand wanting to bring Airmax into the fold in a reduced capacity, but for one who has expressed little interest in this site--DART that is--his late bid, at least in my opinion, was nothing short of a nepotistic attempt to shoehorn him in. There are many reasons to which one can allude for DDO's past popularity: (1) fewer online debate platforms, (2) higher attention spans, (3) a younger membership who had little to no work and/or family obligations, (4) members having little to no prior experience with other members before joining the site, so forth and so on. I honestly think it's a fool's errand to try and recreate DDO (though I understand the irony in that DART is essentially a recreation of DDO.) Perhaps the focus of the site's brass should be placed more on member satisfaction and not alienating members on abstract interpretations of the rules. As opposed to seeking out an old friend and stating, "make our community popular, again," the site can focus on expanding the scope of options members here can control how they interact with others. I think there is no one more fit to advise the moderators on these aforementioned prospects than 3RU7AL.
DDO also had a series of companies funding and promoting it; DART has one beleaguered admin working in his spare time off donations.

I regret that I did not vote for 3RU. He would've been a good adviser and someone who would listen to pretty much any member of the community with an open mind.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Mharman
I think it has to do with a desire old members tend to have
My intention for my vote with Airmax was not to relive the days of DDO, but I believed that Max laid out the best plan for the growth of the site and laid out the proper ways in which growth could be made on this site. At the end of the day, this was a close election and really could have gone either way. In hindsight we can say Airmax was the wrong choice, but if you're someone new to the site and you see a whole revitalization plan laid out, it would convince me that this person was right for the job. Could it have been predicted he'd go AWOL? To a degree, but even Lunatic was severely disappointed in Airmax's committed, as they promised not only, us, the moderation, but to those who voted him in.

I would say the site has not lowered in quality with him as president, but it did not have the "boom" we were promised out of him. I am interested to see who will run for this years election now that Airmax can not run.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Athias
The post above applies to your comment as well.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Vader
My intention for my vote with Airmax was not to relive the days of DDO,
I don't deny that you guys had other motivations, but let's not disguise the fact that many of the reasons cited in his favor was because of how he "was"--and I place particular emphasis on that term--on DDO, and not how he "is" on DART. Perhaps, "reliving the good ol' days" may come off as insulting, but I don't intend it as such. I've already stated that I understand wanting to bring him into the fold, but charging him with the task of increasing this site's popularity when he has expressed little interest in this site already (I'm aware he rejected the moderator position on this site) was biting off more than one can chew. Could  it have been predicted that he would go AWOL? Well, we're not psychics, but some of us were calling it from the very beginning given the suspect entry. He expressed no prior interest in DART before, and a few weeks before being inducted, was to convince everyone that he would stay around? I suppose there's no use in crying over spilled milk, or resorting to "I told you so," since it's pretty clear electing him president was a mistake in hindsight. And I sympathize with those of you who voted for him and were let down by his dereliction. Because those of you who regularly frequent this site, I don't question your intentions in wanting what's best for DART.

Have you considered my proposition?

7 days later

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Vader
the presidency will remain vacant from 10/12/22 until the next presidential election. We hope this decision can be understood, and we hope for the best when it comes to the next presidency
You can't just vacate the seat. Fuck off with that. It's his seat and he can do nothing with it until next term if he chooses. 
thett3
thett3
Since I was duly elected Vice President, this makes me President 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@thett3
What is your first order of business after becoming president upon the mysterious and unrelated disappearance of Airmax?

I can trust you are treating the first lady nice under the circumstances? 
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
This thread has been mentioned in the latest edition of the DART Bard. Read it here:

64 days later

Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Vader
There’s been plenty of time for campaigning. How about we open up the voting Thursday night or Friday morning?
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney

7 days later

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
Here it is for those interested