Opinions on black-washing anime characters?

Author: Bella3sp

Total: 63
Bella3sp
Debates: 51
Bella3sp
Self explanatory, what do you think about black-washing anime characters?

Personally I believe it's taking away the representation of Asian culture. It doesn't matter how much you want to see someone who is of color.

A common character I see that is black-washed is Izuku Midoriya, also known as Deku. He is a character from My Hero Academia and the protagonist.  'Everyone' seems to get offended when someone white-washes a character but not black-washing? They all tend to turn a blind eye. Funny.  You will most likely not see anyone make a part two of any movie from the main character going black to white. Everyone would go nuts. "Oh my god, they are racist, they made him white in movie two!"  

What's the difference? If you take away someones representation but get offended at the other you are a hypocrite. 

badger
Debates: 0
badger
As with definitions of man and woman, it is a subject morons can easily have their obnoxious opinions about, but really it is the most uninteresting, inconsequential shit ever.

Toxicity for dummies. 
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@badger
Not sure it has to be of importance for someone to have an opinion about it. I'm asking for opinions instead of debating about the subject, this is my form of a mini-debate. I would like to contradict opinions that disagree with mine - without having the need for hosting a debate.

If you don't have an opinion on it, cool. Why are you commenting? Simply ignore it and move by. 

Without realizing, you're gave me your opinion on it. 
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
I don't care. I only care when they do it as a way to prove something as opposed to just hiring the best actor for the job. Or just doing what is best for the story. I am not an anime fan though. I did like that L in death note became black for the movie though
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Bella3sp
what do you think about black-washing anime characters?
The real question is:

Why do you think about black-washing anime characters?

It's a mystery.

Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Sidewalker
The real question is:

Facts.
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
 I only care when they do it as a way to prove something 
This is my point, if it's considered who the best actor is then sure, nice. But how are you supposed to know? It always seems to be something about bringing more awareness or representation to people of color, not whose better actor. Is it possible, yeah, just slightly rare from what I see. And this comment only revolves around live action, anime doesn't have a 'better actor'. 

Though it would always tend to be a problem even with that was the case for others. If the roles were reversed and it was someone white. 

I did like that L in death note became black for the movie though
I haven't watched the live action except for bits and pieces shown from others.
Not sure I have a huge opinion on it, I guess? The live action just seems to be an Americanization version with many of the characters. 

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Bella3sp
it's considered who the best actor is then sure, nice. But how are you supposed to know?
It's usually obvious when they bend over backwards to do it, instead of letting it play out. Using Samuel L. Jackson for Nick fury was just hiring the best guy for the job. Using that black girl for Annie was just woke bullshit. Etc.

The live action just seems to be an Americanization version with many of the characters. 

I probably shouldn't comment much. I am not very into anime. Accidentally watched one punch man and thought it was funny so binge watched it. I was curious about death note so watched the movie, which I thought was good so I watched the show.

Watched the movie for hero academy and thought it sucked so probably won't watch the show. My son like Pokemon so I accidentally see it from time to time. 
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
You guys get butt hurt thinking these companies are making political statements that are opposed to your politics, but that is not what they are doing.  It's about economics, not politics.  They are simply marketing and maximizing revenues, only making economic statements. 

The diversity that so terrifies you is here, these companies are exploiting the marketplace, selling to a diverse country.

Go ahead and be butt hurt by your bigotry, but don't try to lay it off in the companies, they are just doing thier job to sell in a diverse marketplace.

This conspiracy image of the political corporate world is pure fantasy, don't any of you guys actually have jobs?  
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Sidewalker
I think your thinking about the wrong thing, confused maybe?
This isn't even about that, i'm talking about fans making such art. Not the company, the people who make fan art. 

Your statement has nothing to do about this topic.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@Sidewalker
You guys get butt hurt thinking these companies are making political statements that are opposed to your politics, but that is not what they are doing.  It's about economics, not politics.  They are simply marketing and maximizing revenues, only making economic statements. 
BWAAAHAAHAA!!!! 

Tell that to Disney. Their obvious wokeness with their politics, which they have not been ashamed of admitting to, has cost them financially to the point where they have had to lay off thousands of employees. So no, you are wrong. It is about the politics and not the economics. Especially when they are focusing on such a vast minority of consumers. 

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@TWS1405_2
BWAAAHAAHAA!!!! 

Tell that to Disney. Their obvious wokeness with their politics, which they have not been ashamed of admitting to, has cost them financially to the point where they have had to lay off thousands of employees. So no, you are wrong. It is about the politics and not the economics. Especially when they are focusing on such a vast minority of consumers.
Get a job.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Sidewalker
Prove you wrong and you retort like a child…”get a job.” 😂😂😂 

Why are you here at DART? Seriously. Why!

Asking for a friend. 

PS. Victoria’s Secret is experiencing similar financial issue after their wokeness. 
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@TWS1405_2
Why are you here at DART? Seriously. Why!

Asking for a friend. 
I like watching dumbass racists blather on about thier bigotry and then call it an "intellectual discussion",  it just cracks me up.  
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Sidewalker
I like watching dumbass racists blather on about thier bigotry and then call it an "intellectual discussion",  it just cracks me up.  
🤔 never seen such posts by anyone here. Oh, must be talking about yourself. Oh yes, that’s it. Psychological projection. Of course. Okay. Got it. Duly noted. 

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@TWS1405_2
Black people are coming, run and hide, run and hide!
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Sidewalker
Black people are coming, run and hide, run and hide!
Proofs in the pudding. Thanks for establishing you’re the racist bigot here. Kudos!! 

You can have the childish last word. We know you won’t disappoint. 😉 

Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@TWS1405_2
Hold my beer Buford, I got me some intellectual discussioning to do.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Usually I just assume it is due to better lighting / worse lighting / change of artist drawing unless public statement on why the skin color shifts are being made.
badger
badger
So do you guys think TWS is autistic or how is this supposedly 50 year old man so unbelievably cringy? 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@badger
Well, the way we tolerated BrotherD.Thomas.

badger
badger
-->
@Intelligence_06
I never did figure out BrotherD.Thomas. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Sidewalker
They are simply marketing and maximizing revenues, only making economic statements. 
They have legitimately lost a shit load of money doing that, so it can't be explained as economic decisions. 

This isn't about representation. It's why you never hear anyone bitching about static shock being the best cartoon superhero. A cartoon superior to any of the woke bullshit coming out now says. You can lie and say it is about representation them trying to appeal to 10% of the population as opposed to having broad appeal but the modern shit is literally just what Hollywood did with it's blacksploitation era but the modern shit is even more ignorant than blacksploitation era as at least the blacksploitation era had a few good films in it
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@badger
So do you guys think TWS is autistic or how is this supposedly 50 year old man so unbelievably cringy? 
I half think him and Roosevelt are the same people. Their mentality is exactly the same. They both pretend to be former government one a cop and one pretending to be former military and I believe they both claimed that despite having 2 digit IQs they worked hard to be millionaires. 
badger
badger
I half think him and Roosevelt are the same people. 
I actually can see that haha. I was reading some recent thread where they were bickering at each other and thinking much the same. 
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Intelligence_06
Usually I just assume it is due to better lighting / worse lighting / change of artist drawing unless public statement on why the skin color shifts are being made.
The lighting usually doesn't tend to matter, you can most likely see the difference. 

If it's the change of the artist, that's exactly what i'm talking about. If it's a change of the artist, they are still taking away the Asian representation. Unless you are talking about the company? Usually the companies who actually draw the characters don't switch that quickly and I have actually not seen it happen.. If your're talking about the company, i'm mostly talking about fan art. Though I feel i'm getting the wrong impression?

In previous drawings I've seen the author comment something along the lines of, "i'm trying to bring black representation into this anime". Not exactly the words, but similar. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Bella3sp
Eh, fandom can be interesting to see variations of characters, settings,
I suppose changes to characters bother me 'sometimes in official releases,
If other people want to watch it, eh okay, just may be I won't.
Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Lemming
Eh, fandom can be interesting to see variations of characters, settings,
I suppose changes to characters bother me 'sometimes in official releases,
If other people want to watch it, eh okay, just may be I won't.
Agreed. The fandom can be good at times, but also somewhat upsetting. The different settings, plot, (added) characters, all that can be cool, yeah. However, changing the original characters skin tone is a bit disappointing.

In official releases, I am not the biggest fan of extreme changes but sometimes they're alright. The new season for Demon Slayer, season three is coming out and there are changes to Douma. I'm not completely sure that I do or don't like the 'new' style of Douma. He hasn't changed all that much so it's fine, you know?

Yeah, there's not much I can do. I can't stop the creator from creating or stopping others from watching it. I just don't believe it is something that should be considered 'good'. 

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Bella3sp
Self explanatory, what do you think about black-washing anime characters?

Personally I believe it's taking away the representation of Asian culture. It doesn't matter how much you want to see someone who is of color.

A common character I see that is black-washed is Izuku Midoriya, also known as Deku. He is a character from My Hero Academia and the protagonist.  'Everyone' seems to get offended when someone white-washes a character but not black-washing? They all tend to turn a blind eye. Funny.  You will most likely not see anyone make a part two of any movie from the main character going black to white. Everyone would go nuts. "Oh my god, they are racist, they made him white in movie two!"  

What's the difference? If you take away someones representation but get offended at the other you are a hypocrite. 
I have a problem with washing characters when it panders to the identitarian fringe who inexplicably dictate the narrative surrounding "representation." I didn't for example have a problem when ScarJo was cast as Motoko Kusanagi for the live-action adaptation of "Ghost in the Shell" because at the time, she was at the height of her acting career, and she would draw much attention to the film. Of course, many of the self-proclaimed "anime faithful" expressed their ire at the thought that a so-called "white" woman would replace a Japanese character. They obviously paid little attention to the core themes of the series, much less the character especially considering that "the Major's" origin is mostly unknown. The only real glimpse we get into her origin was in the 11th episode of GITS 2nd GIG, "Affection" (a.k.a. "Kusanagi's Labyrinth") which does not make it clear that she's Japanese. One would think that so-called "race" would be a moot point in a series that delved heavily into transhumanism. An identical ire was expressed when Mustafa Shakir, a so-called "Black" actor, was cast as Jet in the Cowboy Bebop live-action adaptation. This never bothered me because the original dub of the 1998 anime consisted of Jet Black's character being voiced by a so-called "Black" man.

Here's the thing, the Japanese have washed characters, too. As it was hilariously pointed out me, Spike Spiegel, Eren Yeager, Edward and Alphonse Elric are German characters. And three of those characters have Japanese-washed in Live-Action adaptations. And that's because the studios who are releasing these films are first and foremost trying to generate commerce within their markets.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Sidewalker
The real question is:

It's a mystery.
Brilliant!