Merit as an aspect of Whiteness

Author: cristo71

Total: 55
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
This is from a Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility glossary from California Community Colleges:

“Merit: A concept that at face value appears to be a neutral measure of academic achievement and qualifications; however, merit is embedded in the ideology of Whiteness and upholds race-based structural inequality. Merit protects White privilege under the guise of standards (I.e., the use of standardized tests that are biased against racial minorities) and as highlighted by anti-affirmative action forces. Merit implies that White people are deemed better qualified and more worthy but are denied opportunities due to race-conscious policies. However this understanding of merit and worthiness fails to recognize systemic oppression, racism, and generational privilege afforded to Whites.”

So, does anyone stand by this definition, or is it civilization crushing inanity, or somewhere in between, and why?

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

Well, at least now I can say: Dumb topic. Just dumb. 
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@FLRW
Technically, there has been no time that you could not say that. But what purpose does it serve?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@cristo71

I don't know, ask TWS, he said it on my How Many People Can Earth Support? topic.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@FLRW
So, merely misdirected sour grapes, rando-posting on your part?

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@cristo71
I think these references explain it.
Chang, R.S. (1999) .Disoriented: Asian Americans, law, and the nation-state. NYU Press.; Feagin, J.R., & Porter, A.(1995). Affirmative action and African Americans: Rhetoric and practice . Humboldt Journal of Social Relations, 21(2),81-103.; Harris, C.I. (1993). Whiteness as property. Harvard Law Review, 106(8), 1707-1791.; Jackson, R.L., &McDonald, A. (2019). The violence of white entitlement and the hypocrisy of earned merit. Departures in CriticalQualitative Research, 8(4), 64-68.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@FLRW
Yes. (???)
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@cristo71
As long as people resist state raising all offspring equally well/poorly, meritocracy will always be biased and flawed.

2 random sperm and egg providers are not necessarily the best parents for the children they are raising, nor adoptive or foster parents either.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@RationalMadman
You believe that the state should raise children instead of their parents?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@cristo71
In a genuine transparent meritocracy, absolutely. Otherwise, meritocracy is theatre.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@RationalMadman
With parents raising kids, achievement should be based upon what instead, then?
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@RationalMadman
You're going to love Norway, then. 😆
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@IlDiavolo
Funny thing is, I just recently heard from a coworker how the Norwegian government regularly takes children from perceived endangerment, particularly parents from other cultures…

Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@cristo71
In context of the lesson plan it’s fine. As a definition for the word merit it’s garbage.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Barney
If you were or are an educator, would you be fine with working at a school which would expect you to align with that explanation of merit in your curriculum?
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
-->
@RationalMadman
2 random sperm and egg providers are not necessarily the best parents for the children they are raising, nor adoptive or foster parents either.
Most parents are not best, just average.

In fact, parents often fail to follow science and safe environment. Parents usually dont care that much for kids to actually try their best. Parents are often too busy with work.

The only reason why parents are allowed to raise kids is due to tradition. It is traditionally believed that parents own their children.

However, that always results in inequality. Every parent is different in both wealth and will and abilities from other parents.

As long as society has traditional families, some children will be ruined from the start and some will be too rich. Traditional families dont work well.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@IlDiavolo
I do not dislike Norway beyond finding monarchy undemocratic and not being a fan of its winter weather.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@cristo71
Do you have any interest to vote on this possibly? Idc if it is against me.With parents raising kids, achievement should be based upon what instead, then?
Unfair advantages and disadvantages. I do not mean health and nepotistic connections alone, I mean emotional stability in the household and many other things like high quality food in the diet.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@FLRW
@Double_R
Well, at least now I can say: Dumb topic. Just dumb. 
Uh oh…
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@cristo71
Merit as an aspect of Whiteness
Racist statement. 

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@cristo71
Damn it it's back, I remember whey they posted it online for some so called museum and then quickly took it down; now they're getting bold enough to say it explicitly again?

"Civilization crushing inanity" perfect description, I stand against racism especially in the civilization crushing form.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@cristo71
Cristo71, sounds like a vintage wine.

Black grapes or white grapes.

Though technically grapes are neither black nor white.

It's just fruit discrimination.

I blame molecules.

Though a lot of people have a tendency to blame each other.

cristo71
cristo71
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I remember that story. “Punctuality,” among other things, was claimed as an aspect of “Whiteness.” The fact that the museum pulled it when exposed aligns with what I see:  most people aren’t eager to defend this agenda, and many don’t have the gumption to oppose it either— aka “groupthink.”
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Lol a glitch made me paste a debate comment into my quoted text, wtf...
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@cristo71
Just more racist BS from the academic world.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@cristo71
@TWS1405_2
So, does anyone stand by this definition, or is it civilization crushing inanity, or somewhere in between, and why?
Yes.

First of all, this isn’t nor was it intended to be a dictionary. It’s material for a specific topic so they’re telling you what they will be primarily pointing to as they go through the material. That’s how everything from contracts to laws work, they’re not trying to redefine the term.

With that said, I agree with what they’re saying. Yes merit is or at least should be entirely about skills, abilities or credentials, but when you have a faction of the country fighting to maintain white dominance over our society it is quite predictable that they would latch onto a term like merit as a sort of code to say white people are better and their accomplishments are the proof, despite how those accomplishments were attained.

This doesn’t mean every white person who uses the term is racist, it means that anyone who cares about the very thing they’re preaching (merit) should understand the full connotations to the words they are using.

What actually happens however, is that so many who’re people become consumed by the possibility that they were just called a racist that they fail to hear any of the message that was just delivered.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
Do you believe such a thing as "a white race" exists?
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Double_R
but when you have a faction of the country fighting to maintain white dominance over our society it is quite predictable that they would latch onto a term like merit as a sort of code to say white people are better and their accomplishments are the proof, despite how those accomplishments were attained.
Political paranoia nonsense. That right there is exactly what a white guilt liberal progressive would say. Or just a liberal progressive propagating the victimhood mentality. Absolutely pathetic. And racist too. Just another excuse in a litany of excuses to encourage the continued proliferation of the culture of victimhood. 

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Do you believe such a thing as "a white race" exists?
Is “White race” something I can reach out and touch? No of course not. Are there physical characteristics clearly apparent within human beings that combined with our social nature makes perfect sense to group and study the impact of throughout our history resulting in our present state… yes of course.

Your point?
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@TWS1405_2
Political paranoia nonsense. That right there is exactly what a white guilt liberal progressive would say. Or just a liberal progressive propagating the victimhood mentality. Absolutely pathetic. And racist too. Just another excuse in a litany of excuses to encourage the continued proliferation of the culture of victimhood. 
So… you don’t believe there are racists out there. Is that right?