Implausible Abortion Arguments

Author: CoolApe

Total: 64
CoolApe
Debates: 0
CoolApe
Legal Argument 

(1) Murder is the taking of an innocent person’s life.
(2) According to the law, a pregnancy is not recognized as a person. 
(3) Therefore, abortion is not murder.

Premise 2 is arbitrary. What if the law is wrong? Then, the conclusion must also be wrong. 

If everyone wants a good argument with this reasoning, then debaters should agree on a specific definition of personhood that the law can recognize. 

The law argument is circular reasoning and irrelevant until the debaters agree on a logical definition of personhood.

Personhood Argument

It's easier said than done to come up with a good concept of personhood. Finding a coherent concept of personhood is a philosophical exercise and a rabbit hole.

Some people think viability is the answer, which I’m unconvinced about. 

Many premature births require medical assistance to survive. Requiring medical assistance isn’t the typical idea of viability, which one thinks.

A healthy, full-term baby fits this ideal concept of viability since it can survive without medical assistance. However, most people couldn’t agree with this extreme case of viability since many consider abortion in the third-trimester murder.

However, medical viability depends on the capabilities of advanced medical care, which once didn’t exist and could improve in the future.

The fetus/embryo/(input early stage) is a clump of cells and not a human being

Many people think that a pregnancy is a group of cells that is no more a human being than a foot or hand. However, the pregnancy at conception is a human organism and continues to be the same human organism when it dies. On the other hand, a clump of cells does not constitute a human organism and can’t grow into one. 

Therefore, it seems reasonable to say that pregnancy is a human being at the initial stage of their life and continues to be for their existence.

I have tackled what I perceive as implausible arguments for abortion. These are some sources for arguments against abortion that have influenced me.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@CoolApe
Full-Coverage Unborn Victim States (30)

Alabama,Alaska,Arizona,Arkansas,California,Delaware,Florida,Georgia,Idaho,Illinois,Indiana,Iowa,Kansas,Kentucky,Louisiana,Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota

These states recognize a fetus as a person under fetal homicide laws.

I never could understand how abortions laws are allowed to coexist with fetal homicide laws...
CoolApe
CoolApe
-->
@Greyparrot
Californians must be playing mental gymnastics with their law. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@CoolApe
Abortion is a demonstrably feasible solution to a real time problem.

Whereas ethical and moral disputes based upon ideological premises, are what they are.

Unborn Victim.

Or Not-born Not-Victim.

You choose GODDO.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
an interesting argument is that a snow ball is not a snow man. but if you put a lot of snow balls together, at what point does it become a snow man? it's unclear. with that said, it's not the case that snow balls ever grow themselves into snow men. now, the mother does help the fetus grow, but it looks more like the fetus grows itself, unlike the snow ball. a fertilized egg and fetus, after all, are human organisms. 

at the very least, given the uncertainty, it's sinful to abort. whether it should be illegal is another matter. and whether it's a person is debateable, but looks immoral. 
FLRW
FLRW

More abortions means less flash mob store robberies.
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
I wish my mom had an abortion. Then I wouldnt have to debate about why abortion is good.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
All human life has value only when you arbitrarily assign value to it.

When you do, then creating human life becomes mandatory and women become baby factories.

Then we have too much humans and no one is happy, but at least you got your arbitrary moral values fullfilled, so score one for you.
CoolApe
CoolApe
-->
@Best.Korea
When you do, then creating human life becomes mandatory and women become baby factories.
Never said I was against birth control. 

CoolApe
CoolApe
-->
@Best.Korea
*alternatives aka not abortion 
CoolApe
CoolApe
-->
@FLRW
If we killed criminals who committed theft, perhaps there would less theft. However, it doesn't make it moral to do so or reasonable to most people.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@CoolApe
Never said I was against birth control
Well, okay.

You do realize we are just animals who like cumming in each other without responsibility and suffery that is child birth?

Hey, gays cant get pregnant. So I guess if abortion is banned, people better turn gay to make Christians angry. Allow abortion or homosexuality increases, thats how you fight against Christians. Also gotta mobilize trans too. People should start identifying as wolves. We can howl the whole night every night to further make Christians uncomfortable. Christians, can you really afford this war on abortion? Me thinks you cant!
CoolApe
CoolApe
-->
@Best.Korea
I guess simply suggesting the possibility of having a little responsibility and moral values is offensive to some people. I'm not even that religious, so baiting me with religion won't work. 

I care about debating not this back forth pointless remarks.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@CoolApe

At what age do you tell a child that they are going to die anyway? You know, from cancer ,car accident, old age.

Do you say, God is moral and designed you to die?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@CoolApe
I guess simply suggesting the possibility of having a little responsibility and moral values is offensive to some people
Damn right you guess. Who wants moral values of Christianity?
I prefer self-centered moral values, the only consistent moral values that work in practice and provide answer to all moral questions.
Or as Trump says it: "America first!". I guess you like Trump so thats why I mention it. Otherwise, no one should take Trump seriously. He is a liar that sold USA to Putin.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

So you are saying MMGA (Make Morals Great Again)?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
Also, how do you tell your child that 95% of deaths are extremely painful? Do we just lie to them and say that it feels good to die from cancer or be run over by a truck?

And life itself is filled with pain.
In USA, 1 in 6 women were victims of rape.
With such odds, I dont see how anyone can claim that pain in life doesnt matter. It sure as hell matters.

I realized that I can be happy only if I literally live in ignorance. You cannot possibly be happy when you know that every second millions of people die in pain. At that point, abortion seems like a relief. Fetus cant feel pain, and didnt ask to be born so better not force it. We are already at 8 billion humans, so is there a point where people say that we have too much humans? 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgim
Interesting or silly.

If you put a lot of snowballs together you will eventually create a pile of snow.

Stick a small pile on top of a large pile and whack on a carrot.

And voila.

A baby.
CoolApe
CoolApe
-->
@FLRW
I have always been a monotheist but not religious in the typical sense and I'm biblically ignorant, so I don't have an answer for your religious question.

However, murdering an innocent appears objectively wrong regardless of the circumstances (excluding extreme medical cases).

How do you justify to a child that abortion is not the termination/murder of human being's life when they know the pregnancy has a possible future like them?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
An opinion

There are stages of development of the human organism, and a child comes post natal somewhere after baby.

So we can employ misrepresentational rhetoric and provide a emotional argument.

And we can also apply logical rhetoric. Whereby we do not attribute a bundle of cellular tissue with sentience.

We can also apply a moral logic, whereby a level of  pre-natal development is reached and abortion becomes immoral.

Notwithstanding rare exceptions though, most women are aware that they have had unprotected sex and medical intervention provides every opportunity to terminate a fertilized egg at this first stage.

I would very much doubt that a fertilized egg knows much of it's future potential.

Changes in body chemistry is also a strong indicator of stage 2 zygotic development, wherein sentience is also not a developed quality of the tissue.

So there is every opportunity in the early stages of pregnancy, to terminate without moral obligation.

Of course, morality and emotion are arbitrary concepts.

And therefore a persons moral and emotional response to unwanted conception, should be the individuals choice. Which in most cases is a women unprepared and unready for the responsibilities of motherhood.

And certainly not the choice of  piety or self-righteousness.
CoolApe
CoolApe
-->
@zedvictor4
And we can also apply logical rhetoric. Whereby we do not attribute a bundle of cellular tissue with sentience.
Definition of sentience: the quality of being able to experience feelings or sensations.

The pregnancy will have sentience for certain in nine months. 

Analogy 
A comatose patient does not have sentience in a typical sense.

However, if you knew the comatose person would recover in nine months and the family had resources to support the patient, then wouldn't most people think it was the right thing to save the patient.

Being a homo sapien with a definite chance of sentience in the future is a good reason to protect the pregnancy like a person.

Some people will define personhood to be more extensive than others, and therefore come to different moral conclusions. 

Abortion is perhaps an arbitrary moral matter. However, it still good to dismantle bad arguments in general and individually examine one's morals to others.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@zedvictor4
Of course, morality and emotion are arbitrary concepts.
I think this is the quid of the matter. Morality is a subjective concept.

During the 80s, there was a policy of one child in China so abortion was rampant and people couldn't care less about it.

Maybe the western society is deeply influenced by christianity which makes people think a fetus is an actual person. It's like when a dog is a pet, but there will always be people that deem dogs as children.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@IlDiavolo
Yep, all very true.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@CoolApe
I think that we have a general sort of agreement.

Hopefully you realised that I personally only advocate abortion in the early stages of cellular division before sensory awareness starts to develop.

However, all genuine arguments are valid, therefore alternative arguments are only bad if we are not prepared to accept that all genuine arguments are valid.

And issues such as abortion, have a tendency to always have two or more perfectly valid arguments. Though in this instance we can generally differentiate between Anti abortion and Pro abortion, incorporating varying levels of both scientific and moral consideration.

I would also like add to this discussion by saying, that within the context of living organisms, I regard all life as equal.

And therefore all life as dictated by natural processes to be universally dispensable, and none to be universally special.

And for sure, the human condition is such that we all get hung up on thoughts.

John_C_87
John_C_87
-->
@IlDiavolo
China did notperform abortions as a Nation it conducted Female-specific amputations toterminate the immigration of a citizen of China into the nation of China. Whilein America abortion has since 1973 been against United States ConstitutionalRight, a form of law. Also, making this type of medical process Female-specificamputation as a United States Constitutional right to be assigned held by womenor men. As men are part of what is described as an ordered to terminate givenby a woman to stop officially an ongoing process created as described betweenall men and women involved as a united state of immigration. Not birth as the claimof body autonomy state otherwise failing in an attempt to alienate males fromthe order given by abort.

Law has two forms in America, the form of law towhich abortion was legislated is described as criminal law and is based oncrime and criminal accusation, as a practice of law. This creates an additionalcomplication as by literal definition criminal law is by terms of filedgrievance organized crime, then becoming dependent on United StatesConstitutional right to hold it in connection to established justice. All thiswhile remaining against the law that is United States Constitutional Right.Breaking the process of medical treatment and pregnancy connected toimmigration by law of nature is part of the process of Constitutional right. Wethe people are arguing which is the largest United State between all women andpregnancy, all women and medical treatment, and all women and medical privacy.without the use of crime as a United States Constitutional Right otherwise thelegal practice is left unbalanced and disconnected to highest level ofestablished Justice.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@John_C_87
Whydo youwrite likethis?
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@CoolApe
Legal Argument 
(1) Murder is the taking of an innocent person’s life.
(2) According to the law, a pregnancy is not recognized as a person. 
(3) Therefore, abortion is not murder.
Not all things that are wrong are murder. I do use the above argument, but only in defense to the ever stupid "abortion is murder" claim.

Personhood Argument
It's easier said than done to come up with a good concept of personhood. Finding a coherent concept of personhood is a philosophical exercise and a rabbit hole.
Since I don't believe every sperm is sacred, I prioritize personhood as measured by a mind. That said, injury by proxy may occur (it's actually the foundation of the pro-life movement; women having rights hurts their feelings). To me a newborn is not a person, and yet it would still be criminal to harm them (the family is invested, plus wanted cruelty to animals is still sick).

Granted, people on the pro-life side don't think a mind should matter, likely because they can't use that as a tool in their misogyny.

The fetus/embryo/(input early stage) is a clump of cells and not a human being
I've never actually used that one. See above the the personhood discussion... I don't consider the coincidence of human DNA to be important without a mind.
I didn't have enough characters, but I attempted a little discussion of this in a recent debate.
John_C_87
John_C_87
-->
@Best.Korea
I use word to spell check ...copy and paste. Didn't remember to fix it.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Barney

As a group of neuroscientists seeking to sum the field up put it in 2012, “Humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures...also possess these neurological substrates.”

Should we really be eating eggs?  Isn't that pro-abortion?
John_C_87
John_C_87
-->
@Barney
Not all things that are wrong are murder. I do use the above argument, but only in defense to the ever stupid "abortion is murder" claim.
Criminal law Vs. United State Constitutional Right

Murder is the unlawful taking of life, abortion is by United State Constitution unlawful, thus is murder by association given by the admission the order to abort describes. The problem in criminal law was that the admission was criminal as well. Abortion is legilsated as an argument of organized crime by legal malpractice in criminal law.The United State Constitutional Right some person might be looking for is better described as female-specific amputation although this "Right" may pose in some arguments in the loss of Doctor patient privacy laws. However it does not make the same admission in describing a order to stop it is a order of medical removal. 

A women is by United States Constitution an ambassador to the life her body hosts as a form of immigration by "law of nature." It is not a stupid claim, it pregnancy abortion as murder is a grievance that is substantiated by criminal law or judicial organized crime. At this point it had been clearly wrong for legal council and women not to establish a common defense by the establishment of United States Constitutional Right. Was the task to create such connection impossible or is and was it always possible?

Does Female-specific amputation best establish a connection to justice to all women by right and not  crime ?