Author: DebateArt.com

Pinned
Total: 1,732
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
Would it be possible to allow moderators to change more debate settings? Specifically, the time for arguments and time left for voting.

There are one week arguments, of which one of the participants being banned will not attend. Following that, there's a one month voting window, which since it's a true full forfeit by one side, could be resolved in the first day (this being a mediocre case of that, as there are ones set for six months).

If doing this, it would be ideal if an automated comment were posted stating the change and who made it, to give full transparency.
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
I am afraid I can't say at the moment, I need to look into it. But I will be doing that part of the website quite soon and I could implement it, if that's possible. Just remind me in a few weeks :)
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@DebateArt.com
Suggestion: Make the default voting system “choose winner,” and allow people to change it to the “four-point” system if they want to. (Right now, the default is four-point, and people can change it to “choose winner” if they want to.) The benefit is it allows new users, without information about the site’s particular norms, to have access to a fairer voting process (see Thett3’s case here for why “choose winner” is a fairer system: https://www.debate.org/debates/DDO-should-keep-a-voting-system-with-multiple-categories/1/). 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Tejretics
Well, it's a quick change but I think we need to bring this up for discussion, would you be willing to create a separate topic for that?
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@DebateArt.com
Sure.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@DebateArt.com
VonKlempter
Debates: 5
VonKlempter
-->
@DebateArt.com
If I may suggest, I realised that after completing the required task for a medal, it takes an extremely long time for the information to be refreshed, and it takes about an hour to earn a medal. So, it would be really interesting if you managed to make the medals more responsive.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@VonKlempter
Thanks for the feedback! I will do my best to improve the speed once I get to refactoring the medals section.
VonKlempter
Debates: 5
VonKlempter
-->
@DebateArt.com
Alright, you're welcome.
Worldthink897
Debates: 3
Worldthink897
Can you add poll section. I really like to make polls.
David
Debates: 92
David
-->
@Worldthink897
Can you add poll section. I really like to make polls.

Dear God, please don't do this.  Polls and opinions ruined DDO. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@David
Dear God, please don't do this.  Polls and opinions ruined DDO.
False. Polls and opinions posted by spam bots ruined DDO.
Barney
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
How precise is the mechanism for voting privileges being unlocked? Is it just 100 forum posts or 2 completed debates, or does it check the debates for any certain content?

I'm thinking ahead to an upcoming referendum focused on voting policies.
RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
The debates must have 0 forfeited Rounds by the new user and the 100 posts don't count if they're spam.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
It checks that the debates are rated, have open voting system,  the status is either `voting` or `finished` and max only 1 forfeited argument.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Suggestion 1: Allow us to tag people in our 'original post' of a topic, rather than needing to tag them in an additional post.

Suggestion 2: Make it so that when opening profile images in a new tab, they open on another tab rather than force-downloading onto your hard drive.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Currently, tags have casings based on the casing of the first one to make the tag. This is a problem for future users of it.

I suggest forcing all tags to be first-letter-capital as the solution, since this won't require you reallocating how the database force-cases them.
skittlez09
Debates: 1
skittlez09
i personally would love for polls to be added as long as their moderated 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
Suggestion 1: Allow us to tag people in our 'original post' of a topic, rather than needing to tag them in an additional post.
It's not urgent so most likely I will add it only on later stages.

Suggestion 2: Make it so that when opening profile images in a new tab, they open on another tab rather than force-downloading onto your hard drive.
I am afraid you lost me here,  can you please elaborate?

Currently, tags have casings based on the casing of the first one to make the tag. This is a problem for future users of it.
Yeah, that's a very good point, I should definitely do that.
Barney
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
Related to tags, it would be cool to be able to see a complete list of them.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
Related to tags, it would be cool to be able to see a complete list of them.
It's not difficult to implement from the server point of view but frankly, I have clue how to design the page for that :/
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
@Barney
https://www.debateart.com/debates/2029/marvel-comics-cyclops-was-right

This debate isn't deleted yet it clearly is meant to be. If you try to open the comments, it force-refreshes the page over and over again.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
It was a bug with the debates deletion system, I've just fixed it.

Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it :)

11 days later

Barney
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
Any chance you could add a minimum account age for voting to be unlocked? I'm thinking three days.

This would serve as a safety net against multi spam accounts voting.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
There already is one. It's just not based on age.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
What I feared was technically impossible now that I think of it.
Barney
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
It would be an additional safety net, unlikely to ever affect anyone not trying to game the system, but giving a bit more peace of mind to honest debaters.

Right now technically someone could make two multi-accounts a few hours before a voting window closes, have them quickly debate each other on spam topics, and then cast 14 points on their own debate. While it would be detected quickly, the damage to the original debate would be irreparable.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
Any chance you could add a minimum account age for voting to be unlocked? I'm thinking three days.
Sure, no problem, I will add it in the next release.
Barney
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
Have you considered storing the ratings from each debater as a local variable in each debate?

It could only be applied to debates after it began being stored, but at least for those it could solve the core issue preventing votes from being deleted after the conclusion of a debate; as ratings impact could be recalculated at any time using that stored information.

Of course a minor problem would be score impact inflation for frequent debaters.

If ever going down this rabbit hole, you would probably want to have the system recognize new debates from then forward as if they were a new point system, and the old one becoming non-selectable for new debates. Which as a minor added bonus, could also correct the score allotments away from the tied points to both sides thing.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
Yeah, I think that's exactly what I am going to do. I am not sure about the implementation details but the votes will definitely be deletable on later stages.

I am redesigning the debate's page, which is probably the most complicated page on the site and after that, everything else will be much quicker  once it's done and we can also rethink many things about debates along the way, including the number of active debates per user, the requirements to be able to create new debates, votes deletion and many other things :)