Everything what is true

Author: Utanity

Total: 137
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Theweakeredge
Wrong, at the very least we have very definitions of faith. But I don't even have what I think you mean by faith. Axioms are things that have to be true in order for things (in general) to work, reality being reality, logic, that kind of stuff, so no. I still don't think the bible is an axiom.
Not sure by what you mean is wrong. You seem to have switched the topic.   I suggested that the reason you use logic is not because it has been proved to you. It can't be proved. It is an axiom.  I said the reason you use it is "faith".  It is blind faith for you.  If not, then you have a definition???  When I use the word faith - I mean "trust".  

I disagree with you that axioms are things that have to be true.   Yes, I think that would be nice. But it is not.  Who decides what is true? There are many people in the world who would argue that logic or reason is only true individually for individuals but not true for everyone.  The other problem you have is that once you start talking about something that is true - you are suggesting that there are laws and principles that are true ABSOUTELY.  Although you would probably resist that as well. 

Whether you believe the bible to be an axiom or not is irrelevant. Millions, perhaps billions around the world do.  These are people who live in the same world with you but have a different measure of right and wrong.  Perhaps they are all wrong. Perhaps they are all right.  If you wish to engage with them - though, you need to broaden your mind a little. At the moment, you have a closed mind. Not an open one.  That might be ok for you while you don't have to engage with others. But you like to think you can convince and persuade people -and that is a good thing - yet - until you recognize how millions of people think and reason, you will continually fall flat. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
Everyone has assumptions. No one is immune or an exception to this rule. 
Yes, but who is making the fewest assumptions?

And who is making their assumptions (AXIOMS and definitions) EXPLICIT?
I think I am making fewer assumptions.  I have one. You have many. More than one. 

I am quite explicit about my assumption - Given the existence of God,  my Axiom is that the Bible is the measure of right and wrong.  
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Tradesecret
Your perception of what is true means little to me if you cannot prove either its actuality or its practical consequence as unique. The fact that the bible is harmful to multiple minorities and advocates for equal amounts of hate and love makes me even further against it. My mind is not closed, if you were to demonstrate the bible true or elements true I would believe it or those elements. That's called not being gullible. 

I use logic because it is necessarily true, in other words, if we were to try to use the implications of there being no logic we couldn't even call logic unlogical, therefore yes it is proven to the most it can be. The bible is not like that at all. No, the specific axiom need not be proven, but you have to prove that x or y should be considered a valid axiom, else people could make up whatever they wanted and regard it as an axiom, a most dishonest tactic. 

A meaningless appeal to populum, I don't care, if I was looking to persuade you then maybe I would care a bit more. I'm not. At least not in this thread, I want to find the truth, and I can't tell if you honestly want to reach it as well or not. Just because people don't blindly accept your beliefs that doesn't make them close-minded, now, if you were to continuously present evidence, or if I said that it was impossible to prove your position abundantly, then yes, I would be closed minded.

I have not and actually said the opposite, if you thought those things were demonstrated, then demonstrate them.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Theweakeredge
Your perception of what is true means little to me if you cannot prove either its actuality or its practical consequence as unique. The fact that the bible is harmful to multiple minorities and advocates for equal amounts of hate and love makes me even further against it. My mind is not closed, if you were to demonstrate the bible true or elements true I would believe it or those elements. That's called not being gullible. 
The fact is you cannot prove logic.  This is indisputable.  And the reason is because it is its own self-witness. Logic is often harmful as well when it is used incorrectly. The bible is not harmful to anyone per se.  How people use the bible is subject to errors just like logic is used erroneously often.  This is why having a proper hermeneutic is essential just like having proper learning in respect of logic is essential. 

I use logic because it is necessarily true, in other words, if we were to try to use the implications of there being no logic we couldn't even call logic unlogical, therefore yes it is proven to the most it can be. The bible is not like that at all. No, the specific axiom need not be proven, but you have to prove that x or y should be considered a valid axiom, else people could make up whatever they wanted and regard it as an axiom, a most dishonest tactic. 
You use logic out of faith - not because it is necessarily true. Logic is good when logic is correctly constructed.  Yet you are not infallible. You make mistakes and will get things wrong even though you believe it is necessarily true.  As I have said above I am not anti-logic.  Logic is a necessary part of life which bases reality in the objective. Logic has no meaning in the world of relativity.  Hence another reason to believe in God.  Yet without God there is only the relative and the subjective. Even logic becomes fluid - consider how the modern teachers of logic refer to water logic as opposed to rock logic as they move away from certainty and objectivity. 

I no more need to prove the bible to be true than you need to prove logic to be true.  The bible is an axiom whether you agree with it or not.  There are very few things that could be an axiom. logic/ reason, experience, revelation.  Just because you have never considered this does not mean I am using a dishonest tactic.  In fact, it is your throwaway line that is disingenuous. No axiom can be proved except by self witness. All axioms are circular in reasoning. Not everything has the same basic ability to self-witness. These three things are unique in that regard. 

A meaningless appeal to populum, I don't care, if I was looking to persuade you then maybe I would care a bit more. I'm not. At least not in this thread, I want to find the truth, and I can't tell if you honestly want to reach it as well or not. Just because people don't blindly accept your beliefs that doesn't make them close-minded, now, if you were to continuously present evidence, or if I said that it was impossible to prove your position abundantly, then yes, I would be closed minded.
Yes, I considered how you would respond to my comments about millions of people using this as an axiom.  I expected you might attempt to refute it by suggesting it was an appeal to populum. But that is not what I was doing. And so I included it not as evidence that it was true because of its wide use, but rather as an appeal to you to open your mind, to understand that others do use it as such. That you went ahead and attempted to use it as a refutation, simply reveals you do not read well.  

People looking for truth - don't go looking on debating sites. They do research in the real world.  Yes, you might find some arguments you have not heard before here - but it is naïve to think you would find the truth here.  I never said you were close minded because you did not believe me, I suggested you broaden your mind so you might engage with those who have different positions.  Please don't think I am being negative with you. I am not. I am enjoying our discussion. 

As for presenting evidence, at the moment, we are conducting what might be called preliminary discussions. There is a time for evidence - but not before the discussions have been finalised. 

Again I thank you for your comments.  

Utanity
Debates: 0
Utanity
-->
@Theweakeredge
This has been proven. As a law of physics, supernatural things cannot exist
Your rite about the law of phisicks because thats all the phisicks can do which is make the laws and it is one dimensional. Quite by coinscience i did the dittie called the atheist realty sucks and this what the crewshal thing is all about. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5311-the-atheist-realty-sucks
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
The fact is you cannot prove logic.  This is indisputable.
No, but you can prove that it should be an axiom. You can prove that it is applicable to literally all discourse. 

And the reason is because it is its own self-witness.
Wrong, the reason its not provable is because we can't even comprehend the concepts without using logic, because logic is the frame through which we regard or disregard logic. 

Logic is often harmful as well when it is used incorrectly. The bible is not harmful to anyone per se.  How people use the bible is subject to errors just like logic is used erroneously often.  This is why having a proper hermeneutic is essential just like having proper learning in respect of logic is essential.
Funny, the bible is harmful however way you look at it. Also, this is according to your interpretation, are you so arrogant as to claim your interpretation as the one and true interpretation, that no other can match? The difference between logic and the bible is that the bible is much vaguer, I wouldn't say Logic is always or at all precise, but compared to the whole of the bible it is practically precise. 

You use logic out of faith - not because it is necessarily true. 
Wrong. I have a different definition of faith than you, logic is necessarily true, therefore I find it applicable to the conversation. I do not use logic out of "trust" nebulously defined as that is. I would appreciate you stop trying to guess my motivations, you have no psychic powers. 

Logic is good when logic is correctly constructed.  Yet you are not infallible. You make mistakes and will get things wrong even though you believe it is necessarily true.
No, I'm not, and have never claimed to be; just like you say with your book, logic is good whenever used correctly, and unlike the bible, you are either correct about a logical standard or you are not, there are no interpretations. Logic is necessarily true, the application is not always so, because the context, human flaws, and environment can render a specific conclusion of logic untrue, that does not make logic untrue. 

As I have said above I am not anti-logic.  Logic is a necessary part of life which bases reality in the objective. Logic has no meaning in the world of relativity.  Hence another reason to believe in God. 
Wrong again. Logic is true even without a mind to perceive it, there needs not to be any arbitrarily assumed creator, do we know the objective origins of logic? No, no we do not, does that mean it is accurate to claim that it would not be objective without a god? Also no. You do not know what created logic, you posit that god has, yet you have not proven god to exist (within this conversation and as far as I am aware, if I am incorrect, prove it.) This is nonsense.

Yet without God there is only the relative and the subjective. Even logic becomes fluid - consider how the modern teachers of logic refer to water logic as opposed to rock logic as they move away from certainty and objectivity. 
This is incorrect. I do not know what your definition of objective is, but I'm curious, what is it? Because the definition of "True independent of a mind" is true for all things that were objective before without a god (of course I don't think even with a god there would be objective morality), and also a god is not contingent for things to not be opinions of people. This time you are factually incorrect. 

I no more need to prove the bible to be true than you need to prove logic to be true.  The bible is an axiom whether you agree with it or not.  There are very few things that could be an axiom. logic/ reason, experience, revelation.
Also also wrong, I would have the burden of proving logic to be an axiom, you have the burden of proving the bible to be an axiom. Otherwise, it is just an assertion and can be dismissed. "Whether I agree or not" is awfully arrogant of you, you must demonstrate your claims, demonstrate that the bible is an axiom and then we can talk on that. Also, revelation is only semantically an axiom according to you, not necessarily. 

Just because you have never considered this does not mean I am using a dishonest tactic.  In fact, it is your throwaway line that is disingenuous. No axiom can be proved except by self witness. All axioms are circular in reasoning. Not everything has the same basic ability to self-witness. These three things are unique in that regard. 
That is an non-sequitur. 

IF axioms are circular in nature, THEN they can only be proved by self-witness.

That is a ridiculous claim that is only relying on one tenant of proving something to be true. If x is required to exist to debunk x, then in order to even pose the question, x must be true, the question does exist, therefore x exists. That is not "self-witness" as logic is not an agent capable of even experiencing itself, if you could prove the same of the bible, then it would be an axiom. Let's try another, shall we? If experience is required to exist to debunk experience, then in order to even pose the question, x must be true, the question does exist, therefore experience exists. 

This is what I mean by necessary or contingent. And what must be proved by you to apply to the bible in order to consider it an axiom. Your ad-hoc claiming that revelation is an axiom without more than "its self-witnessed" is ludicrous, as I am pointing out your attempted shift of the goal post, as well as your trying to sneak in presumptions into the language, as revelation does not fit this fold, there needs not be revelation to debunk the existence of revelation. 

Yes, I considered how you would respond to my comments about millions of people using this as an axiom.  I expected you might attempt to refute it by suggesting it was an appeal to populum. But that is not what I was doing. And so I included it not as evidence that it was true because of its wide use, but rather as an appeal to you to open your mind, to understand that others do use it as such. That you went ahead and attempted to use it as a refutation, simply reveals you do not read well.  
Wrong, Using it to suggest that: Millions of people believe x, you do not believe x to be true, therefore you are close-minded, is still using an ad populum and this reveals to me that you do not understand logical consistency. The number of people that believe a proposition to be true holds no bearing on the state of the mind of someone who rejects that view. Ad populum. 

People looking for truth - don't go looking on debating sites. They do research in the real world.  Yes, you might find some arguments you have not heard before here - but it is naïve to think you would find the truth here
Yes, yes they do, I am looking to sharpen my understanding of debate, philosophy, ethics, and all other manners of such, whenever I debate, I look to find the truth, that is my goal. Hence why even though in my debate with Mall I could have simply appealed to the resolution and used one contention, I instead did this on what Mall meant as well (in regards to accepting homosexuality debate), do I think that the conclusions of people are necessarily the truth? No. I never said that, I merely said that I want to work with others to find the truth, hence the point of debating. 

I never said you were close minded because you did not believe me, I suggested you broaden your mind so you might engage with those who have different positions.  
This is me, engaging with people of different opinions, I live in a place that is filled with nothing but conservatives and theists, I literally do on a daily basis. I will not presume something true on a permanent basis because that is illogical with few exceptions. Have I presumed something to be true for the sake of conversation before? Yes! Twice actually in entire threads! Actually three conversations now, my "Could a god grant moral objectivity" or something named similar, and "would you listen if your god told you to kill me" well not named that exactly, but you get my point. In both instances, I had the presumption that god existed for the sake of argument, so I do not understand your point. 

Please don't think I am being negative with you. I am not. I am enjoying our discussion. 
Well then I apologize for gruffness, I can never be sure who the good and bad actors are, I look for truth in my arguments, and I deconstruct arguments down to their moving parts, that's how I argue. 

As for presenting evidence, at the moment, we are conducting what might be called preliminary discussions. There is a time for evidence - but not before the discussions have been finalised. 
I disagree, as soon as a claim is made, one should provide evidence of that claim. If you wanted to establish a framework for a conversation, then say: "Hey lets do some framework for a conversation" then I wouldn't attack it per se, and explore its implications. 

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Nothing is necessarily logically-necessary...But it helps.
The concept of "nothing" is logically incoherent (and NOT logically necessary).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
Given the existence of God,  my Axiom is that the Bible is the measure of right and wrong.
This statement has ZERO practical value.

Even if I agree with you.

All this means is that whoever on the planet can establish themselves as the foremost authority on "The Bible" becomes de facto KING OF MORALITY.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
I think I am making fewer assumptions.  I have one. You have many. More than one. 
Here's my list,

(1) COGITO ERGO SUM

Here's your list,

(1) My parents and Church leaders are infallible (or at least unquestionable)
(2) An old book, which has been edited and copied and translated thousands of times is 100% accurate
(3) The "YHWH" described in an old book is NOT logically incoherent AND loves me or whatever
(4) If I don't understand some apparent conflict in the text of an old book, I must trust the infallible Church leaders to guide me
(5) If everyone followed the instructions of an old book, then the world would be a perfect place for everyone
(6) Only idiots and evil mean and ugly people don't believe in old books and good stuff like me

(this second list is of-course, purely speculative, please highlight any parts you might disagree with)
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
In fact if the bible is 100% true, then those things applied only to the OT Israelites and not even to modern ones.  
Which "rules" still apply?

And where does the holy scripture explain this?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
The Bible was miles ahead of the times even for NT Israel. 
Ok, but not quite so much today.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Theweakeredge
but changing the subject whenever you can't answer evidence is dishonest, to me anyway.
I wouldn't say "dishonest".

It's more like they're conflating the terms "FACT" and "AXIOM" without knowing the difference.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@3RU7AL
Well I guess its a fault on my part, I thought that Tradesecret knew the difference between an axiom and a fact, seeing as I gave plenty of examples and such. Maybe they are really confused? I would think not, but that could be be me.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
It all depends on the concept of nothing.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
It all depends on the concept of nothing.
How is that possible?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Well as I didn't initially propose a concept of nothing.....Then firstly tell me what is your concept of nothing.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
It would seem that a "no-thing" can only "exist" at no-place and at no-time and have no-size and no-volume.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
But is nothing something?...Specifically in terms of conceptualization.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
But is nothing something?...Specifically in terms of conceptualization.
Nope.

I mean "the word" "no-thing" is a "thing".

But even the concept of "no-thing" isn't actually "no-thing".

It's just sort of a slang term (place-holder) we use when we mean "of little or no known significance".
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
(1) My parents and Church leaders are infallible (or at least unquestionable)
(2) An old book, which has been edited and copied and translated thousands of times is 100% accurate
(3) The "YHWH" described in an old book is NOT logically incoherent AND loves me or whatever
(4) If I don't understand some apparent conflict in the text of an old book, I must trust the infallible Church leaders to guide me
(5) If everyone followed the instructions of an old book, then the world would be a perfect place for everyone
(6) Only idiots and evil mean and ugly people don't believe in old books and good stuff like me
Strawman. 

I don't think my parents or the church is infallible.  In fact I became a Christian as an adult after I had been an atheist for many years. My father was an atheist even though my mother was a Christian. The church I knew as a youngster is not the same denomination as the one I attend. There is a significant difference in the doctrines of that first church, my mother and where I am now.  

I indicated that the Bible is what I call an axiom even if other do not. Since it is its own self witness - and measure of right and wrong, the number of edits and copies become a secondary matter.  

The God of the NT and the God of the OT are the same.  He is logically coherent - despite your strawman arguments.  Saying God is omniscient, omnipotent and all benevolent is not a true picture of God of the OT.  The overwhelming characteristic of God is holiness.  

If I don't understand something, I study, I ask people, sometimes I never receive an answer or resolution. This is a common feature of everyone I know. 

I don't think following the bible would make the world a perfect place.  In fact this would contradict the bible. 

People of every colour and creed believe in the Bible and people of every creed and colour don't. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
You said nope....Then almost immediately went on to say that the concept of nothing isn't actually nothing.

I would suggest that true nothingness is impossible to conceptualize.

Big-Bang theorists propose  no space.....But have you ever tried to imagine no space.....No space is always surrounded by space.

Space is something even if it is void.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
the concept of nothing isn't actually nothing.
That was my entire point from the word go.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
I indicated that the Bible is what I call an axiom
The KKK considers "The Bible" an AXIOM as well.

How can two people, who both consider "The Bible" 100% true, disagree about what is "right" and what is "wrong"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
If I don't understand something, I study, I ask people, sometimes I never receive an answer or resolution. This is a common feature of everyone I know. 
So you're not a "follower" of your specific Church (denomination)?

You're more of a "co-seeker" who is just trying to "do your best" to "piece things together for yourself"?

You sound like you might be a GNOSTIC.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
I would suggest that true nothingness is impossible to conceptualize BECAUSE IT IS LOGICALLY INCOHERENT.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Agreed.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
The KKK do not consider the bible to be their axiom.  What a load of nonsense. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@3RU7AL
So you're not a "follower" of your specific Church (denomination)?

You're more of a "co-seeker" who is just trying to "do your best" to "piece things together for yourself"?

You sound like you might be a GNOSTIC.

Funny person.  I never said that I was not a follower of my particular denomination.  I do follow according to my conscience, though. 

I am not a seeker.  LOL!. I have been found.  Once I was lost and now I am found.  Was blind but now I see.  

Utanity
Debates: 0
Utanity
-->
@Tradesecret
I am not a seeker.  LOL!. I have been found.  Once I was lost and now I am found.  Was blind but now I see.  

Thats right because peoples they think that they can be a christian then thats it doned and dusted and Im going to heaven. But god he founds you like when your walking down in the high street and your listening to drake on the dr re beats and your bible is in your hand then your head is in the right space then god he will found you and it feels like your being sucked into the dyson then you know that your found.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Utanity
LOL @ you willow, I mean Utanity. 

Despite your nonsensical comments, I am smiling at your attempts to be consistent.