atheism is irrational

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 618
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I don't really see anything that you post is highly intelligent it's hateful and bigoted. It's actually on par with me like white supremacist so I'm not sure how that makes you better than the rest of the people who post here. I mean I know in your mind it does but on paper you're just another bigot. Even if it is a smart one. It's okay you lie to yourself. I mean Stephen's up there posting I have a shaman and I never said I did. I've talked to them I don't own a shaman, I don't have a shaman, that's just his way of making me look stupid or what he thinks makes me look stupid but what it is, is just a lie.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Nope it's 100% atheist and proud of it. Like I always say you all want us dead and gone. He just has the balls to say it. Must be that because you're so close to monotheism you carry that same mindset. 
I want all of you dead and gone just as I want all of us dead and gone. Atheism shouldn’t even need to exist. 
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

Well, I do have a Harvard COOP card. Do U ?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
 I mean Stephen's up there posting I have a shaman and I never said I did

You claimed to have spoken with a shaman. I don't for one minute believe you own one. I referenced that Wikipedia says  that what you have called the "planet Midgard " is earth , you responded contrary to that saying;

Based on talking to shaman I do not believe Midgard is Earth #233

Your words not mine. Does this not indicate that you know, go to, consult and converse with a shaman?
 Hope that clears that up. 

just his way of making me look stupid or what he thinks makes me look stupid

Nope , you do a  reasonably good job of doing that all on your own without any help from me , Witch.

Example here:

Stephen wrote: Well if you have ever looked into the ancient phenomena, you would find immediately that  ALL religions speak of their so called "gods"  coming from the sky.   So I think they may "validate" each others religious beliefs of  the origins of their "gods" .
That is not true at all. In the Norse religion they come from a planet. 

Stephen wrote: Would that planet be up in the sky or space  by any chance ,Witch?  #204
 Hope that clears that up too.

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Tarik
The yes was in regards to God’s capability to issue commands not what that command should be classified as, hence why I added the caveat after saying yes.
The classification of his command is where the contradiction is.

We both agreed that if there is a God, he has the capability of ordering someone to torture infants for fun. Once you accept that idea, that’s where the Euthyphro dilemma begins.

The question of how would it be classified is the point. Moral and immoral are direct negations of each other, so the law of excluded middle applies. Both is not a coherent answer. Neither is not a coherent answer. It’s necessarily one or the other, says the laws of logic.

If the answer is moral, then morality is subject to gods will (aka subjective).

If the answer is immoral, then God cannot be the source of morality.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
I want all of you dead and gone just as I want all of us dead and gone. Atheism shouldn’t even need to exist.  - Reece101#272atheism is irrational (debateart.com)
Out of curiosity,
Are you an Antinatalist?
Something even 'more than that?
Or do I misread, your post?

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Double_R
Except God’s ACTUAL will doesn’t match the will of your incoherent hypothetical (hence why you thought of it), it’s coherent and objective. It’s pathetic how you bring up hypothetical nonsense and try to use it as an argument for reality thinking it suits you. What ifs isn’t what is dude.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Problem with the Christian God is he has too much time on his hands. The polytheist religions the gods all have jobs controlling the oceans, controlling the winds, controlling thunder. Maybe if he had a job he'd be less interested in what everybody on Earth was doing.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
Out of curiosity,
Are you an Antinatalist?
Something even 'more than that?
Or do I misread, your post?
I was being metaphorical. I meant it in a totally ideological sense. 

Anyway, Poly was implying I didn’t have the balls to say it. I took that as a challenge. 

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I'm just glad you are finally being open and honest and not hiding behind the I'm more moral than you bs.
Reece101
Reece101
Would you say we’re on equal footing now?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Reece101
Not being rude but.
I don't like you having 999 posts. 
Can you fix it for me please mate?   ASAP.  
We are all good hey ?  

Happy 1000 posts Reece old pal.

Good day. 
Thx man.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Reece101
You beat me.

Very Well played..

Again happy thou
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
So presumably, a Single GOD has to multi-task Poly.

Doing the oceans, wind and thunder all at the same time, as it were.

Though, given omniscience, omnipotence and all that.

One would expect a GOD to have all that sort of stuff, controlled from a central operations facility.

With a sexy Angel or two flitting about....

You know fluffy wings and white lingerie.

Or is that me fantasising?

Bugger standing around huffing and puffing all day.

That's old school GOD work Poly.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Problem with the Christian God is he has too much time on his hands.The polytheist religions the gods all have jobs..............

controlling the oceans,

The Boxing Day tsunami in 2004 is believed to be the deadliest tsunami in history, killing more than 230,000 people across 14 countries. It began at 7:59am local time on December 26, 2004, when a 9.1-magnitude quake struck off the northern tip of Sumatra in Indonesia. Updated 24 Dec 2014.https://materchristi.libguides.com/natural_disasters/2004_Indian_Ocean_Tsunami#:~:text=The%20Boxing%20Day%20tsunami%20in,Updated%2024%20Dec%202014.

Yep this god certainly had his/her hand on the pulse there didn't s/he, Witch? Fall asleep on the job for a few minutes did he?

controlling the winds,

This god appears to be just as shite at his job controlling of the weather as the god that you say is overseeing  the Oceans. 

controlling thunder.

Thunder that is usually followed by lightening are just as deadly as the first two but kill less people , I'll grant you that.

Maybe if he had a job he'd be less interested in what everybody on Earth was doing.

Good point.  Seeing that all the other positions in the weather elements controls  department seem to be filled by your own gods, what do you believe the job of the Christians bone idle god should be then, Witch?

I am assuming that you have a gods to control fire, rain,  snow,  volcanoes and earthquakes. So it appears to me we are looking at a job creation program that will take this lazy, bone idle , layabout Christian god with all this time on his hands and put him to work doing something useful and productive....... or destructive as those other gods you mention appear to enjoy doing..
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Tarik
Except God’s ACTUAL will doesn’t match the will of your incoherent hypothetical (hence why you thought of it), it’s coherent and objective. It’s pathetic how you bring up hypothetical nonsense and try to use it as an argument for reality thinking it suits you. What ifs isn’t what is dude.
Hypothetical examples are are a basic test of logic. Anyone who understands logic understands that, so when you attack my point because it’s hypothetical that says way more about you than it does about me.

Whatever God’s will is is completely irrelevant to the question of whether morality is objective. If God is real, and his will lines up with what is necessarily moral, all that does is hide the source of morality. It could be God, or not God, there’s no way to tell the difference. The hypothetical exposes the source, which is why it’s like pulling teeth to get you to actually think about it and why you shut down the moment you realize you don’t want to see what’s there.

Once again, morality is either subjective or God is not the source of morality. Those are your only two options, I’ve already explained why. Let me know if you have any actual thoughts on that.

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Double_R
Anyone who understands logic understands that, so when you attack my point because it’s hypothetical that says way more about you than it does about me.
Well your hypothetical doesn’t logically follow because morality and it’s objective nature is predicated on reality not hypotheticals that didn’t and won’t happen and your need to use the example of torturing children to make the argument that morality is subject to God’s will isn’t necessary, that argument stands without that.

The hypothetical exposes the source
And reality doesn’t?

I entertained your “subject to” argument long enough and where did it get us? Back to this circle, so now it’s my turn to ask you a question, since facts are subject to proof does that make facts subjective? If you answer yes then your practically dismissing the existence of objectivity all together and not just in regards to morality which is a much larger issue and if you answer no then your the one that’s being incoherent because you conflate “subject to” with subjectivity in regards to morality but you don’t do it in regards to the question I just asked you. Those are your only two options, I’ve already explained why. Let me know if you have any actual thoughts on that.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
People have to die all the time just ask Bill Gates.
Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi 59 to Double_R :
per your counter points. you say it's too subjective to be authentic... that's just a weak theory, a hunch. plus, it ignores that almost everyone who has the experience believes in the afterlife afterwards, even if they didn't before the experience. and the large majority of atheists who have the experience end up believing in God.[41] (those who dont change just didn't get any insight into the matter.... it's pretty much never the case that a theist becomes an atheist or that an atheist gains knowledge that there is in fact no God)[42] plus experiencing God is common (along with Jesus experiences, i might add)[43], experiencing a wide array of religions is so rare that i doubt you can even provide hardly any examples of it.[44] so it's not as subjective as you claim it is, is what i'm getting at. but even if the experience is subjective, it all revolves around an afterlife experience, which nothing we know of drugs dreams hallucinations etc, doesn't replicate.[45] i've said it many times, but the idea that we hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when we die, is as stupid an idea as it comes.[46]
[41] Present a reference, please.
[42] Given atheism, that is to be expected.
[43] Since apparently you have looked into that, are there a significant amount of cases where people who had not heard of God before have discovered God ?
[44] The wide array of afterlife religious experience is not in individuals, but over different people, i.e. people each experiencing an NDE consistent with their religion.
[45] What a coincidence. We also know of no deity that can do that.
[46] Is that a valid form of argumentation, calling the hypotheses of your opponents stupid ? Can atheists do that too ?

n8nrgmi 50 :
there isn't enough evidence to be an atheist
Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?
[no response]
Thank you for sharing your personal opinion with us, but rational people prefer to believe in reality.

[27] Good evidence is irrelevant. Good on topic evidence would be relevant, but alas, no one can provide that for some reason.
[28] On what grounds do you classify the evidence provided by theists as good and the evidence provided by atheists as bad ? Your bias, perhaps ?
[29] The problem is that you are unable to demonstrate a correspondence between your sayings and reality.
[30] We see a Christian presenting a red herring to distract from the fact that he doesn't have a case. What else is new ?
That atheists ought to be able to explain NDEs is an ASSUMPTION of yours. Assumptions must be demonstrated. Go ahead !
What is your explicit theory for NDEs ?
[31] OK. You admitted that you know of no studies that demonstrate that God is responsible for miraculous healings. What studies can you show then ? How about ones that show that miraculous healings happen more often to theists than to atheists ?
[32] Is this thread about NDEs ? No. Is this thread about miraculous healings ? No. Again, read this thread's title to discover what it is about.
[33] Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?
[no response]
[28] I thought so. Bias is irrational.
[30] Of course, if you know your assumption to be false, it is understandable you don't try to demonstrate it.
Of course, if you don't have an explicit theory for NDEs, it is understandable you can't present it.
[31] Of course, if you don't know of any studies that support your claims, it is understandable you can't present them.
Of course, if you are dishonest, it is understandable you don't admit the above.
[32] In case you still don't know, it is about the claim that atheism is irrational.
[33] Thank you for sharing your personal opinion with us, but skeptics prefer to believe in reality.

n8nrgmi 59 :
the evidence theists provide indicates something.[34] they indicate that there's an afterlife and that miracles happen to theists.[35] i can understand if someone wanted to remain a skeptic, as if they needed more evidence to embrace the conclusions fully. but to pretend there's no evidence for the supernatural or God or any of that, is objectively wrong. that's why atheism is irrational.[36]
[34] Indeed. It indicates they don't have a case.
[35] The problem is that the existence of an afterlife or miracles are extraordinary claims. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, not indicative evidence.
In 1950ies there were in the USA many reports of flying saucers with hammer and sickle symbols. That indicates that already back then the Soviets mastered flying saucer technology.
[36] How is that supposed to follow ?
n8nrgmi 82 :
indicative evidence is still evidence. i can respect not being a theist, but declaring that there's no evidence for God is irrational.
[35] Your fallacy of choice is the straw man. I have not claimed there is no evidence.
Claiming atheism is irrational is like claiming disbelief in Soviet flying soucer technology is irrational. There is still evidence for it though, so declaring that there is no evidence for Soviet flying saucer technology is irrational.
[36] Then the fallacy you commited is the non-sequitur.

n8nrgmi 59 :
"people die and tell us of their afterlife experience" this is a fact.[37] i realize ya'll like to poke holes in it, but it's still a fact. a stubborn fact. i think ya'll can't deal with it, cause it's so blatantly clear evidence that contradicts your worldview.
[37] Is that so ? Then please demonstrate that fact.
[no response]
You are confusing  your personal opinions with facts.

[38] Of the thausands of UFO observations that were investigated, how many do you think turned out the have the simple explanation, the one perfectly in line with Ockham's Razor, that those were alien craft flown by aliens ?
[39] You are mistaken. Others have also presented counter-evidence, that you have skillfully ignored.
[40] Great. Please present that science.
Is that science limited to reports of afterlife experiences or is there independent scientific evidence ?
n8nrgmi 82 :
[38] [no response]
[39] what evidence am i ignoring?[41] i think the most specific anyone has gotten is to argue that all humans are similar in design, and that there's a survival gene, therefore they claim that it's to be expect that we hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when we die. talk about jumping to conclusions. and this argument lacks specificity in science....[42] they dont show an afterlife gene or something in our brain, all they do is say it's possible to draw on science to explain NDEs. all this stuff boils down to, is a hunch. it lacks science. whereas, 'evidence of the afterlife' is great evidence,[43] as well as all the studies published in journals about out of body experiences being accurate.[44] it's also just common sense, which ya'll lack...[45] to not think that it's common to hallucinate a bunch of elaborate afterlife experiences when we die, if there's no good evidence to justify that argument.[46]
[40] [no response]
[38] You forgot to answer my question. You know the answer, don't you ? And you dislike it, don't you ?
[41] I haven't kept track because NDEs are off topic. What I was referring to is Double_R's remark of NDEs adapting to the religious belief of the person. Ramshutu also has presented some unchallenged evidence I believe.
[42] You are confusing evidence with explanation. Others have presented hypotheses. You haven't. It is comfortable to criticize the explanations of others when you fail to provide one. It allows you to point out shortcomings of theirs while they can't point out the flaws in your explanation for you don't have one.
[43] Who decides what the greatness of evidence is ? You ?
[44] Maybe finally we shall get some studies. Please present them.
[45] It is all common nonsense, which you all posess in spades.
[46] You are misrepresenting the claims of others.
[40] Of course, if that science you allude to doesn't exist, it is understandable you fail to present it.
You forgot to answer my question.

n8nrgmi 87 :
another piece of evidence is that experiencers almost always see relatives when dead, and almost never see someone who is still living. it's possible people just have a strong connection to their families and automatically think of the dead when dying... but if this was just a brain going hay wire, we'd expect lots of random people in the experience, both living and not living. the consistency of this is good evidence.
References please.
Your evidence doesn't support that atheism is irrational.

n8nrgmi 88 :
another good piece of evidence is that when experiencers are surveyed, they say their 'life reviews' are always accurate, 100% of the time. if this was just a brain going hay wire, we'd expect lots of false memories.[47]

i think this also goes along with the idea that if this was a brain going hay wire, people would experience lots of random images, like a hallucination or dream. instead,[48] they see lucid clear after life experiences that they have no doubt about and that are more real to them than their earthly lives.

also, people often see images in their life review, that they've long forgotten. it's not as likely just a brain going hay wire if it's showing the whole life even the forgotten stuff.[49]
References please.
Your evidence does not support that atheism is irrational.
[47] Why is that ?
[48] Images in hallucinations or dreams are not random.
[49] Why is that ?

n8nrgmi 88 :
it's also good evidence that the same sorts of NDEs happen to people who have never heard of these experiences, and to children who are too young to know about it either.[50]

it's also good evidence, that across all cultures, the themes in the experiences happen the same. that is, tunnels, light being, life   reviews and such... all these things happen at the same rate regardless of country or culture. i realize humans are similar, so the argument that we just have similar experiences is possible. but if this just a brain going hay wire, it wouldn't be so consistent and would be a lot more like random images or random experiences.[51]
[50] I am sure that is good evidence for something, but it is not for atheism being irrational.
[51] It is funny how you countered your own evidence and then dismissed that counter out of hand.

In the mean time everyone agrees, either tacitly or explicitely, that the position that atheism is irrational is not a rationally defensible one.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Amoranemix
In the mean time everyone agrees, either tacitly or explicitely, that the position that atheism is irrational is not a rationally defensible one.
Not everyone.

Athias #117:
The statement, "God does not exist," is irrational. (If one wants to know the reason, I'm willing to oblige.) So if one premises one's belief on an irrational statement, then I suppose one could argue that the belief itself is irrational. With that said, one's beliefs don't have to be rational.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
People have to die all the time just ask Bill Gates.

So, this lazy idle god of the Christians. What will you have him do?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Tarik

Everything is real within a context.

Even morality, which is predicated on human data assessment and variously opinionated output.

And GODS too.
Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
Everything is real within a context.

Even morality, which is predicated on human data assessment and variously opinionated output.

And GODS too.
Even the event described in the Bible, sir?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
As I said.

Real within a context.

Whether or not the Bible accurately relates to real events.....I have no idea, and know way of knowing.
FLRW
FLRW

Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
As I said.

Real within a context.

Whether or not the Bible accurately relates to real events.....I have no idea, and know way of knowing.
I respect your being candid. Well stated.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I have no idea what kind of solace you think religion offers on that. The belief of possibly seeing someone again on the other side has to do with believing in a soul or spirit, that's not exclusive to religion. The Catholic Church ( and some Protestant ones) stance is that those who commit suicide and children who aren't baptized can't get into heaven. Religion doesn't create any sort of opiate for people who lose their children or loved ones in that way. I have yet to see where religion is the opiate of the masses other than in circumstances involving Christians running for office. And even then it tends to stir people up not calm them down.
FLRW
FLRW

John 15:7 ESV  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

That sounds like an opiate to me.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Okay and then the first time you ask for something and it doesn't happen how is it a f****** opiate. So that covers the Christians do you care to address the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Pagans...
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
Regards.